Cornwall Football Forum

2 x Penzance Match Reports

Cornwall Combination League

9th March 2011

Penzance Reserves 0-2 Hayle Reserves

I didn’t know Hayle were so short of players that they play for their SWPL team on a Saturday and then in the Combo on a Wednesday! There was a bit of a gulf between the teams with Penzance looking a bit flat but it was only after the match that I was told most of the lads had been playing college football that afternoon. I know they are fit but two full games within eight hours proved a bit too much. The first half was fairly even with a lot of huff and puff but few chances, but during the second period Hayle turned the screw as Penzance’s youngsters tired.

Joe Day was Penzance’s Man of the Match playing in defence and he was called into action in the first couple of minutes. Hayle’s Matt Thomas breaks from mid-field, head down runs forward 30yds, tries to flick the ball past the keeper forcing Day to get a brilliant tackle to deny him.

Again Thomas break, tries a shot only to see Ryan Gendall push the ball left. Thomas is first to it and his cross goal pass eludes everyone.

Penzance win a free kick in their own half. The ball is knocked into the Hayle box, low and hard to Lewis Caspall whose looping header beats the keeper but chips some paint off the wrong side of the upright. Again Penzance come forward with a cross pitch ball, right to left, dropping to George Hatton who runs into the box, sidestepping his marker before firing low at his near post. Bryan Scoffin in goal for Hayle has to push the ball away from his near post.

H-T

Penzance start brightly earning a free kick 30yds out in the centre of the park. Bradley Wills takes it firing low but the ball whips past the bottom of the post.

From then on it’s mostly Hayle doing the attacking. They work the ball right, cross, shoot forcing Gendall to make a high diving save to palm the ball away.

56mins gone and Hayle score. A corner on the left is deflected up off a Penzance defender and drops down to Gary Bell who has a simple header into the net from 3yds out.

5mins later and it is 2-0 to the men in green. Hayle work the ball down their left, cross right across the box for Bell to fire the ball into the net cross goal. A well worked goal strait off the training ground.

A late Hayle corner flashes low through the crowded penalty area missing everyone when a simple touch would have been a goal.

Can’t fault Penzance they fought to the end but Hayle’s just edge it.

F-T

Penzance: Ryan Gendall, Liam Andrew, Stuart Strong, Lewis Caspall, George Hatton, Adam Hopkins, Adam George, Jimmy England, Bradley Wills, Sam Clough, Joe Day

Subs: James Squires (Strong 62), Tom Putterell (England 88), Francis Pellow

Fouls conceded: Penzance 4-10 Hayle

Crowd - 65

Cornwall Combination League

12th March 2011

St Ives Town 2-0 Penzance Reserves

Another 2-0 defeat for the lads from Penlee Park. St Ives put away their chances, Penzance didn’t and even though the Magpies finished the stronger of the teams by then they conceded two well taken goals by Scott Goodchild.

The game kicks off with early Penzance pressure then St Ives break into the box. A low cross goal shot is finger-tipped away by Ryan Gendall for a corner.

Penzance camp in the St Ives half for a few minutes but all they get to show for the pressure is a high cross goal shot that drops down just wide of the back post.

On 20mins Penzance lose the ball in mid-field. St Ives fire in a quick through ball down the middle, which Goodchild runs onto, forcing Gendall to come out of his goal. A low shot under the keeper rolls into the net to put The Saints 1-0 up.

Another Saints break into the box results in a low shot that Gendall kicks away. Back come Penzance but they lose the ball on their right. A low shot again forces Gendall to drop down and push the ball away.

St Ives’ Simon Carter wins the ball on his left, cuts into the box, goes past the advancing keeper then decides to flick the ball into the side netting instead of tapping it into the open goal.

H-T

The half starts with St Ives trying a short back-pass. James Squires nips in, shoots but the ball is deflected of the line and away.

50mins gone and Goodchild gets his and his team’s second. St Ives break forward on their left, the Penzance line hesitate thinking it was off-side but the flag remains down. The ball is squared to Goodchild who runs in poking the ball into the net from close range.

A St Ives shot that goes over the bar seems to wake Penzance up and they have a mad 10mins breaking left and right but no-one can get on the end of the crosses.

Perhaps St Ives only play well in dry weather as a drizzle comes down and Penzance get the upper hand. They break right, Joe Day knocks the ball over, and it bounces out to Jimmy England who heads just wide.

St Ives are dangerous on the break coming down the right to cross but a flicked header bounces back off the bar. A corner on the left and they head just over.

A Penzance free-kick on the right forces the keeper to jump and palm away the rising shot.

The match finishes with Penzance shooting cross goal. The keeper leaves in thinking it is going wide but due to the vagaries of the pitch at The Saltings it curls and rolls back off the bottom of the upright

Penzance Man of the Match was Adam George.

Penzance: Ryan Gendall, Jimmy England, George Hatton, Francis Pellow, Adam George, Liam Andrew, Stuart Strong, Tom Putterell, Joe Day, Sam Clough, Adam Hopkins

Subs: James Squires (Putterell 22), Steve Winters (Hopkins 85)

Fouls conceded: St Ives 9-4 Penzance

Crowd – 49 (4 from Pz)

CTB, Many thanks for the reports always very informative, may have have to correct you on a couple of issues, Hayle had four SWP players on that evening who would start in their normal eleven, Bell,Thomas,Harris and Williams.

Can I firstly point out that the youngsters of Penzance played really well and gave a good account of themselves with Bradley being the pick in my honest opinion, but you have mentioned their was a "Gulf" between the teams then apparently Hayle "Just" edge it, slight conflicting statments wouldn't you say?

I will take the medium stance and say that the more senior players on the visitors side made the difference and that's no disrespect to the others who played that evening.

Once again Paul thanks for the info but I just hate biased views so hopefully I have evened it up a little.

Happy Days!!!!

This was the squad that was given to me to put in the programme

Bryan Scoffin (GK), Kieran Harris, Zak Williams, Justin Nicholls, Carl Shorthouse, S Halliday, Moha Imchichi, Elliot Harris, Gary Bell, Nick Barber, Mark Pope, Matt Thomas, Dominic Clemmens, S Cowley

Now here is the report of the Hayle v Holsworthy match the previous Saturday.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/football/Reynolds-counts-cost-Hayle-slump-defeat/article-3311344-detail/article.html

The team ; Hayle: B Scoffin, R Johns, J Cooper, R Troon, E Harris (J Irwin 60), K Harris, G Bell, C Shorthouse (N Barber 75), S Grant (A Northall 75), D Bell, M Thomas.

Lets put that there again and highlight the players who played in both games as I was told

B Scoffin, R Johns, J Cooper, R Troon, E Harris (J Irwin 60), K Harris, G Bell, C Shorthouse (N Barber 75), S Grant (A Northall 75), D Bell, M Thomas.

That makes 8 players. Remember I wrote the report based on the team I was given. So I was correct when I wrote is Hayle short of players.

To carry on

The week before at Truro the Hayle team was

D Annear, S Grant (R Johns 60), K Harris, J Cooper, Z Williams, T Annear, G Bell, C Shorthouse, B Curtis (N Barber 80), D Bell, M Thomas.

So from the team sheet I was given the following players have had SWPL experience (in red)

Bryan Scoffin (GK), Kieran Harris, Zak Williams, Justin Nicholls, Carl Shorthouse, S Halliday, Moha Imchichi, Elliot Harris, Gary Bell, Nick Barber, Mark Pope, Matt Thomas, Dominic Clemmens, S Cowley

To carry on

The week before at Truro the Hayle team was

D Annear, S Grant (R Johns 60), K Harris, J Cooper, Z Williams, T Annear, G Bell, C Shorthouse, B Curtis (N Barber 80), D Bell, M Thomas.

So from the team sheet I was given the following players have had SWPL experience (in red)

Hi CTB

Sorry to spoil the ego trip going on here, but surely that is what a club is about, not just a 1st team and closed doors, the players who have played more than five games in the team that beat penzance are : Gary Bell, Kieron Harris, Matty Thomas ,and Zak Williams, the rest have played less, and have prodimately played for the combination league.

Happy Days.

I've nothing against players from 1st teams or Reserve sides playing in the Combo, we do the same.

My point was "I didn’t know Hayle were so short of players that they play for their SWPL team on a Saturday and then in the Combo on a Wednesday!"

could be injuries .work but also we field 4 mens teams most weeks and rotate players to fill in where needed so i would say this is the way to run s club an dkeep up team spirit so cant see your problem but hey why not keep up your barbed comments about hayle , we will just try to focus on our club and slowly build for the future

Mark Pope played against Plymstock United that makes 9 of that squad,

Moha Imchichi played for Wendron in the SWPL

That's 10 of that squad with SWPL experience.

mo did not play or did carl shorthouse who was capt of combo team until drafted toswpl side scoffy is the combo keeper at present mark pope plays mainly for combo and zac also played that pm for the college .