Cornwall Football Forum

No new ground !

Cornwall Council pull plug on new stadium. Finally the Council do something for the good of tax-payers in the Duchy.

Heaney had signed a deal with FIFA, couldn't ask for two better bed-fellows.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/news/Undefined-Headline/article-2981997-detail/article.html

Cornwall Council pull plug on new stadium. Finally the Council do something for the good of tax-payers in the Duchy.

Heaney had signed a deal with FIFA, couldn't ask for two better bed-fellows.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/news/Undefined-Headline/article-2981997-detail/article.html

Now we will see where the Chairmans loyalties are,with no new stadium and no proposed developement of Treyew Road,where now? :ninja:

I would like to comment on the failure of Cornwall not getting a Stadium. Being part of a big Cornish family that lives and breathes football I find it a shame that we can't look forward to this new stadium, as a youngster I used to look forward to cup finals where we would play at the likes of Falmouth Town or Penryn, and the thought of my children and nephews having the chance to play at a new stadium would of been brilliant. When I read some of the views on this thread from people that have moved into the county and realise they don't understand that us cornish are passionate about all things Cornish which means they want the best for all teams in the County.I come onto this forum because it says Cornwall football, if I really wanted to know about Mr Heaney's buisness or any over chairman then i would look up a buisness web site.I follow teams in my local area and yes like most Cornish people I will always take an interest in Truro,Falmouth, Newquay,Wadebridge,etc. My point being to all you knockers about the stadium or Truro City's success please have a bit of respect for us Cornish as most of us were very excited at the prospect of a new stadium,

The comment about it being a waste of the tax payers money is an insult to us Cornish

I would like to comment on the failure of Cornwall not getting a Stadium. Being part of a big Cornish family that lives and breathes football I find it a shame that we can't look forward to this new stadium, as a youngster I used to look forward to cup finals where we would play at the likes of Falmouth Town or Penryn, and the thought of my children and nephews having the chance to play at a new stadium would of been brilliant. When I read some of the views on this thread from people that have moved into the county and realise they don't understand that us cornish are passionate about all things Cornish which means they want the best for all teams in the County.I come onto this forum because it says Cornwall football, if I really wanted to know about Mr Heaney's buisness or any over chairman then i would look up a buisness web site.I follow teams in my local area and yes like most Cornish people I will always take an interest in Truro,Falmouth, Newquay,Wadebridge,etc. My point being to all you knockers about the stadium or Truro City's success please have a bit of respect for us Cornish as most of us were very excited at the prospect of a new stadium,

The comment about it being a waste of the tax payers money is an insult to us Cornish

Hear Hear Python

Great post for a change regarding a stadium for Cornwall Lets back the bid :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

Nice to hear the minority of people get a say. Most folk in Cornwall, regardless of where they happened to be born, don't want or need a stadium. Truro City want it and the Cornish Pirates would get better use of it but lets be honest, how many of the 500,000+ residents would use it ?

What benefit would those in Torpoint, Bude, St Just etc see from the huge bill ? No Doubt a Heaney company would want to build it with the taxpayer coughing up for it, get real !

Nemisis I understand you might have a hidden agenda with Mr Heaney as you do with a lot of clubs, but please stop coming out with silly statements.If you have nothink constructive to say about the stadium just let it go, why do all your comments seem to be against the development of sport in Cornwall.I'm sure people from St Just, Torpoint, Bude and all over Cornwall would benefit from a stadium if there children were to play for Cornwall weather it be football rugby or any other sport. I think your personel gripe with Mr Heaney is clouding your judgement and is becoming very childish,

I watched Helston beat Wadebridge today and how those boys would love to have the chance of playing in a cup final at the new stadium.

Nemisis I understand you might have a hidden agenda with Mr Heaney as you do with a lot of clubs, but please stop coming out with silly statements.If you have nothink constructive to say about the stadium just let it go, why do all your comments seem to be against the development of sport in Cornwall.I'm sure people from St Just, Torpoint, Bude and all over Cornwall would benefit from a stadium if there children were to play for Cornwall weather it be football rugby or any other sport. I think your personel gripe with Mr Heaney is clouding your judgement and is becoming very childish,

I watched Helston beat Wadebridge today and how those boys would love to have the chance of playing in a cup final at the new stadium.

Nothing hidden about my agenda, same cannot be said for the other party. It would've be a waste of taxpayers money, simple as that. If Truro & Pirates want a ground to share thats fine, let them pay for it. If it is really viable financially, they would find the money somewhere, in fact Heaney could easily pay for it himself, so why dosn't he ?

Nothing childish about my concerns for football in Cornwall, I think that with lottery, Sport England and Football Foundation funding, most clubs can benefit, so why the fuss about one with just a few hundred fans ? Heaney and his business dealings did him no favours with a lot more folk than those who support him. Taxpayers should not be forced to pay for a City/Pirates stadium, the council have made the right decision... end of !

I completely agree with Nemesis. Just a few hundred would benefit as it stands. Maybe even a thousand, possibly more but not ever enough.

City have without doubt achieved an enormous amount in the last handful of seasons and rightly should be congratulated, they might achieve much more and I hope they do but right now they don't rank high enough for the tax-payers of the county to be subsidising them. Let them earn their future through the gate.

Excellent postings Python, I agree with every word and I believe the majority of people involved with local sport would feel the same.

As with a lot of his postings the position is not as clear-cut as Nemesis makes out! The plan is for a 'Cornwall Sports Village' not just a stadium and it has not been included in Cornwall Council's capital programme at this stage, but the final decision will not be made until the spring. Cornwall Council are pursuing all options in an effort to see the project become a reality!

I would like to thank all those involved with the project for their efforts. :clapper::clapper: I hope they will be able to solve the funding problem.

I,m away quite often taking my daughter to various places in the country to participate in her two county level sports. and I,m afraid to say but once you get over the Tamar bridge the standard of both these sports is considerably higher. In recent conversations at different events many good players are offered better training facilities and extra training if required at fantastic sports arena,s. Football is the same and maybe if we had a Stadium with good facilities for all, it would make the county teams be more able to compete with the rest of the country.

I,m not a Truro follower but they have brought a much higher standard of football to the county,maybe some of you on here should take the oppurtunity to watch a home game and compare Truro to the standard you are playing.Penryn recently transfered Cody Cooke to Truro and although disappointed they understand that he wants to acheive a higher standard of football and without teams like Truro he would have no where to gain experience he needs.

These are my opinions and hope i dont offend anyone!

It would of been great if the stadium did come to cornwall there would be live bands it would of been marvelous for the county and it would of been good if the cornish pirates where playing there as well .We used to have the cornwall coliseum and the biggest groups around played there and maybe that would of happened here .Why does everyone keep knocking kevin heaney he has put football on the map here in cornwall he should be praised not put down all the time ,he has a very good truro side and long may it be the entrance fare is a bit steep but its entertaining more than i can say about goin to home park. I wish truro all the sucess they deserve and maybe one day in the future the stadium will re surface but not in these gloomy days.

Nice to see that the majority can see the benefits this would bring to the county.Not only for sport and training facilities for which we are light years behind most places in the country,but also other open air entertainment and meetings etc.

OK perhaps it is put on the back burner for a while,I can understand that with the economic situation at the moment,but we must not just let it be brushed under the carpet.So I say to all those who have worked so hard to get this project off the ground,keep on pushing.It is something we need and is well overdue.

The Eden Project and Newquay Boardmasters already host all the major music artists the County can handle. Home Park has hosted the likes of Elton John, George Micheal and Rod Stewart, big names for those aged 40+ but even they didn't sell out. That ground holds 20,000 and if it cannot get the major groups to play there, why would they come to a smaller venue in Truro ?

It would be a wonderful thing for the Truro City / Cornish Pirates Stadium and facilities to be built - at no expense to the taxpayer ! Do you see Plymouth City Council rushing to bail out Argyle ? Why should the people of Cornwall prop up two sporting businesses ?

If Heaney wants it, Heaney can afford to do it, why help him when he has not exactly helped local businesses ? In fact, he could pop up the A38 and bail out Argyle if he really wants a League club with 3,000 Cornish fans.

The Stadium for Cornwall is not dead and buried, its just not going to be funded by taxpayers. However cornwall council are putting together a buisness plan etc etc and if all goes well then this project could get underway as early as 2012.