Cornwall Football Forum

Buckland v Bodmin

Buckland 3 V Bodmin 1

Buckland started quite slow but broke away down the right where Gilly had a shot well saved by the keeper the ball went across the goal where Danny Gaze put the loose ball into the net.

The best goal of the game was where Si Revs went on a long run after picking the ball up just inside the half way line, he cut inside and shot from 25-30 yards out were the ball went into the net giving the goalie no chance.

Buckland 3rd goal was where gilly got in between the defender and the goalie and slotted the ball round the keeper.

3 0 up with 30 mins gone.

Bodmin had a few chances and scored with a header just inside the post which beat the substitute goal keeper after Monty had gone off, Baker got his fingers to it but could`nt stop the ball creeping in.

The half time whistle went, this is where , Darren Gilbert getting sent off for a altercation with Steve Massey as they walked off

2nd Half was a low key affair with Bodmin having numerous chances but could not break the Bucks defence down.

Bucks saw out time, and Willo went up and collected the Bowl for the 1st time, knowing that harder games are sure to come through out the season.

Well done lads 1st bit of silver for the season.

Well done to Buckland Athletic for winning this match with a great attitude. Although Bodmin Town had the early chances, it was Buckland Athletic who went on to score three very good goals. Bodmin Town did score once, but never really troubled the Buckland Athletic goal again.

One has to question the poor attitude of Darren Gilbert, yet again. Was there really any need for him to "perform" at Half-Time? Another from Bodmin Town, one Kevin Miller, who was standing behind the rail, by the side of the dug-out, was constantly firing foul and abusive language at the Referees Assistant.

The Bodmin Town trophy success cannot be questioned, but they must surely be the most hated club in Cornish football! The attitude from even their supporters does leave a lot to be desired.

Bit of a case really I thought of who was the more lethal in front of goal! Bodmin could have been two up before Buckland went in front, however instead found themselves three down within almost the first quarter of the contest!

I know Buckland had a couple out, but Bodmin also missed defender Tom Chambers and goalkeeper if Kevin Miller, who one would have expected to have stopped possibly one at least of the three goals conceded.

Good to see that the two managers eventually decided to shake hands afterwards!

Well done to Buckland, think this puts Mr Massey's "we're not going to win anything" out of the window, should be a great season just hope that people remember that it is about fooball and not a chance to abuse players, refs , and managers. But the managers and players also have to play their part, and show a bit of restraint and common sense :SM_carton:...

Guest Carl.P

I have been an avid follower of local football for a number of years, watching the South Western League, The Devon League and now the South West Peninsula League, whilst at he same time enjoying the comments on this site and the SWPL site without ever feeling the need to comment myself. All that has changed after the comments of Buckland supporters following the game against Bodmin and who are brave enough to post under an alias. The one comment which made my blood boil was from Pastyman that Bodmin were `the most hated club in Cornish football`. Last year Buckland supporters thought the title of `most hated` belonged to Falmouth but now it's Bodmin, who will it be next? St Blazey or Saltash maybe? I feel they really need to take a look in their own back yard and ask themselves, why are Buckland so disliked across Devon and Cornwall. Do you believe I'm wrong? Ask around, it may shock you. I seem to remember that it was reported on this site that Buckland players telephoned Darren Gilbert and were abusive to him late on the night they won the chamionship and only a week or so ago, their former manager was on here stating that Buckland, as champions` should kick off the new season. How selfish is that? At least Bodmin and their supporters have the grace to not comment on this or any other site about other clubs. Pastyman also stated that `Bodmin did score once, but never really troubled the Buckland defence`. We must have been at different games because I clearly remember Bodmin totally dominating the second half with Buckland relying on breakaways. Twice Bodmin efforts were cleared off the line, there were several near misses and two or three really good saves by Ian Baker. Alfonso stated `the second half was a low key affair`. Was this because Bodmin were so dominant and they aren't man enough to admit it? There was a spat at half time between Darren Gilbert and Steve Massey and once again it was assumed that it was all Gilbert's fault. I ask you then, why did Steve Massey feel he needed to leave his seat in the stand, walk on to the pitch and make a beeline for Gilbert? Gilbert from my understanding was complaining about Brinton Nute's blatant stamp on Bodmin's Steve Colwell, an incident not seen by any officials yet Massey must take the blame for inciting Gilbert in the first place. An incident in which Red Viking commented `Managers` and not just Gilbert. Still I suppose Phil Hiscox will be happy that a Devon side has won another trophy and before anyone accuses me of bias, I'm a Devonian but even I can it see the bias. By the way, I post under Carl.P because my name is Carl Palmer.

carl, you're assuming that pastyman is a buckland supporter but if look at his profile you will see that he is not.

i'm not surprised that mr nute blatantly stamped on another opponent as this is part of his game unfortunately.

i'm surprised that the stamping upset mr gilbert so much as this was also part of his game unfortunately. he probably would have defended mr nute if he were still at bodmin.

In reply to carl p, think the word "hated" is such an easy word to put around on a forum site, people stating that certain clubs are hated generally base their opinions on a few friends they mix with expressing that opinion and then almost claim that everyone else agrees with them, then they come on here throwing a few quotes around they may have seen or heard from one person and taint a whole club with it. I was at the Bodmin v Buckland game and some of the stuff i heard could fill this forum for a month, but whats the point in putting them on here to try and score a few cheap points, at the end of the day it was a fierce competative game with good points for both teams to take from it, i for one love the fact that the peninsula league can generate this much interest and fully understand each persons fierce defence of their own team and in some cases county, its what footie and supporting your team is all about. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I have been an avid follower of local football for a number of years, watching the South Western League, The Devon League and now the South West Peninsula League, whilst at he same time enjoying the comments on this site and the SWPL site without ever feeling the need to comment myself. All that has changed after the comments of Buckland supporters following the game against Bodmin and who are brave enough to post under an alias. The one comment which made my blood boil was from Pastyman that Bodmin were `the most hated club in Cornish football`. Last year Buckland supporters thought the title of `most hated` belonged to Falmouth but now it's Bodmin, who will it be next? St Blazey or Saltash maybe? I feel they really need to take a look in their own back yard and ask themselves, why are Buckland so disliked across Devon and Cornwall. Do you believe I'm wrong? Ask around, it may shock you. I seem to remember that it was reported on this site that Buckland players telephoned Darren Gilbert and were abusive to him late on the night they won the chamionship and only a week or so ago, their former manager was on here stating that Buckland, as champions` should kick off the new season. How selfish is that?

Carl - Sorry not to have replied earlier but i have been away. I am replying to the posting made above, which i have left the important bits for everyone to see.

You have to remember that the club has no control over who posts on here, nor are they aware sometimes, who those people are. The regular buckland alias supporters, post on here on a regular basis. I have been involved with Buckland since the formation of the swpl and i for one, never gave a Devon club a chance for at least a decade. My opinion was that Cornwall were streets ahead of the Devon Clubs, mainly due to their exploits in the FA Vase and FA Cup competitions.

Although there are many great clubs in Cornwall, we set ourselves the challenge of trying to match Bodmin Town football club. They had set the bench mark for all clubs with the trophies gathered in the 1st couple of seasons. When you become champions, there are a few that become jealous of that teams success. I spoke to Darren Gilbert during the 1st couple of seasons and made him aware of our intentions to challenge at the top end of the league. Buckland, seen by many as a smaller club, may not have been taken seriously as title challengers, but i always had faith.

If we are so disliked in Devon & Cornwall, then it can only be down to our recent success. The incident involving the phone call at the end of the season to Darren Gilbert has been cleared up with phone calls after the event to clear up the situation. Darren accepted our reasons and we have all moved on.

The posting about the league champions kicking off the new league season is an opinion of mine. Whether its Buckland Bodmin or Falmouth!!

I hope this has cleared up a few points.

Baylo