Cornwall Football Forum

i know this topic is quite old but in the past the fal/hel league have had the bragging rights versus the mining league but this year more than any other the mining league seems stronger...Storm beat st newlyn east yesterday who had previously knocked out pendeen and fal albion who sit top of the tree in their league is the power shifting as teams like illogan, robartes, st buryan and halestown would i'm sure with the players they have be at the top of fal/hel 1.

thoughts?????

I think you could be right there Mr Treasure although I dont think think the junior cup is a true way to gauge a team. Looking over the course of the season gives a much better picture.

From what i have seen this year the better teams in FHL seem to be in division 2 perranporth, carharrack, stithians. Overall i think the standard of the 2 leagues is pretty similar and very hard to prove which is the stronger. :smiley20:

The cup is a hard way of judging between teams in the mining and fal/hel league.

We knocked out falmouth albion and pendeen who were both very good teams and we had to play very well to beat these sides.

Yesterday we went out to storm, however the terrible conditions spoilt any kind of good match as it was a very scrappy affair, and so hard to judge. Storm deserved to win on the day as we never got into the game and struggled in the conditions. Storm moved the ball around well and played to the conditions better.

Their first goal was deflected off one of their own players (The shot was going well wide!)

Their second was from a free kick which was a never a free kick as the defender won the ball, the free kick was very well struck over the wall, the keeper got hands on it but couldnt keep it out.

Their third was the killer blow, as they ran through and slotted it home (The same scorer from the free kick who had excellent game!!!)

The cup is a hard way of judging between teams in the mining and fal/hel league.

We knocked out falmouth albion and pendeen who were both very good teams and we had to play very well to beat these sides.

Yesterday we went out to storm, however the terrible conditions spoilt any kind of good match as it was a very scrappy affair, and so hard to judge. Storm deserved to win on the day as we never got into the game and struggled in the conditions. Storm moved the ball around well and played to the conditions better.

Their first goal was deflected off one of their own players (The shot was going well wide!)

Their second was from a free kick which was a never a free kick as the defender won the ball, the free kick was very well struck over the wall, the keeper got hands on it but couldnt keep it out.

Their third was the killer blow, as they ran through and slotted it home (The same scorer from the free kick who had excellent game!!!)

yeh i have to agree with above and also last post but over the years fal hel league especially the top sides have gone all the way in the junior cup but this year the duchy side st newlyn east and storm have knocked out their top sides and as well as illogan, robartes and st buryan having wot i call stronger sides they wud i'm sure finish top of fal hel league. only my opinion but thats wot would happen.

Hi Rich i wouldn't mind running the mining side on that day if thats ok by you?

treasure parks no 1, You are the assistant manager at Storm yet you have missed a few games through work commitments and other things so the question is would you be available at the end of May (No point in being a manager if you cannot turn up) :D (You know I love you really Dazza mate)

With regards to the topic in hand I would agree that only league positions over the course of the season would tell, Players move from club to club so one season a team may be great but another they may be bad so it is hard to tell

Mawnan in the Falmouth Helston league have over the last few years proved that they have a good side and have always been there or there abouts and now Illogan in Mining league 1 have been doing well and seem to be favourites for everything this year but as we all know football is a funny old game

The junior cup is a one off and it is all about whom wants it the most on the day

Last season I played for Redruth Utd and we knocked out St Keverne in the first round (One of the favourites at the time), Falmouth Albion in the second round, Robarts in the third round and just lost out by the odd goal to the eventual finalists Falmouth Athletic which for us was not only a good cup run but took our minds of the league in which we finished mid to lower table but nowhere near Illogan or the other top 3 teams

Once the leagues merge then we will see exactly who does what and I think it will be very interesting indeed

Hi Rich i wouldn't mind running the mining side on that day if thats ok by you?

treasure parks no 1, You are the assistant manager at Storm yet you have missed a few games through work commitments and other things so the question is would you be available at the end of May (No point in being a manager if you cannot turn up) :D (You know I love you really Dazza mate)

With regards to the topic in hand I would agree that only league positions over the course of the season would tell, Players move from club to club so one season a team may be great but another they may be bad so it is hard to tell

Mawnan in the Falmouth Helston league have over the last few years proved that they have a good side and have always been there or there abouts and now Illogan in Mining league 1 have been doing well and seem to be favourites for everything this year but as we all know football is a funny old game

The junior cup is a one off and it is all about whom wants it the most on the day

Last season I played for Redruth Utd and we knocked out St Keverne in the first round (One of the favourites at the time), Falmouth Albion in the second round, Robarts in the third round and just lost out by the odd goal to the eventual finalists Falmouth Athletic which for us was not only a good cup run but took our minds of the league in which we finished mid to lower table but nowhere near Illogan or the other top 3 teams

Once the leagues merge then we will see exactly who does what and I think it will be very interesting indeed

yeh ok cockerkneeboy at least when i turn up i turn up!!! not like some i would like to mention!! lol this is a joke don't take it the wrong way cockerkneeboy!! we know wot ur like!! love yah to and you know i mean that mate.

Interesting debate.

I believe that there isnt a great deal between the leagues now, if anything. There are some good teams in both leagues.

As mentioned previosuly, useing the cup to draw comparison is quite difficult. I was part of the Redruth Utd side that got to the area Quarter finals last year before going out to eventual county finalists Falmouth Athletic. Teams raise there game for cup games, thats quite clear, I mean look at the F.A cup for example??

I think the only way we will clearly see how much of a divide exsists is when the leagues merge

Guest Pete Lewis

I played in a few of these games, the one with the most drama was the one we won on a penalty shoot-out, where the Fal/Hel team won under lights out falmouth town. I'm sure there are a few managers who fancy managing there league side. But I'll throw my hat in the ring. I'd love to give it a go. So Dazza, get it on!!!!! lol

Pete, are you talking about the evening game at Falmouth Town, pouring with rain and freezing cold ? I remember getting smacked in the mouth by a Mining League player as I was getting up from a tackle that night!! I played in a few of the rep games back in the late 90's. I always looked forward to these games, why did they stop having them ?

Like The General says, players were proud to play for their respective leagues, it would be great to get this going again for the final 2 years before the merger :clapper:

They were great games and always had good crowds definately worth doing again at least once before the merger.

I was fortunate when at Holmans 12-13 years ago I played for mining1 select and we beat fal&Hel and then the following year we went into fal&Hel and I played for the fal&Hel select and we beat the mining great days.

I have also played in a few of these games and they are great games to be involved with, the last one I played in was the 1999/2000 season which the Mining league won and I still have the winners trophy to prove it (WoW was it really that long ago?) that game was sponsored by Packet/E Thomas Construction

I do have to say that it was an honour to play in those games, Not just because of the occasion but to play with and against so many great players was fantastic :clapper:

I was the most recent manager of the Mining League's rep side in 2005 for the mining league's centenery year game at Illogan, We took on Tommy Mathews Cornwall Youth side. Result was a 1 all draw, with Andy Osborne (Storm) scoring the mining league's goal after about half an hour with his first touch of the ball after coming on for Lee Jewell, Cornwall equalising just before half time if i remember rightly. I as Mike has already stated was very proud to be trusted with the job. If i can sort it out i'll post a picture of the team, most players still playing mining league or higher i think.

At the start of the 2007 season i was asked to do the job again against 06/07 Mining Div 1 champions Portreath at Storm, but on this day several players either failed to show up, or were injured on the day before the match and i had to borrow most of the team from players that turned up to watch. We lost 6-1. :angry2:

Before this game, Darren Lewarne picked a mining 2 side to play Troon as they were div 2 winners 06/07season.

I remember it being a very entertaining game but can't remember the score or who won? think it was the mining team that came from behind. Anyone on here know? :c:

Mining League rep side 2005.

Guest Pete Lewis

Pete, are you talking about the evening game at Falmouth Town, pouring with rain and freezing cold ? I remember getting smacked in the mouth by a Mining League player as I was getting up from a tackle that night!! I played in a few of the rep games back in the late 90's. I always looked forward to these games, why did they stop having them ?

Like The General says, players were proud to play for their respective leagues, it would be great to get this going again for the final 2 years before the merger

Yeah that's the one!!!!! It rained all game, no extra time, straight to penalties. I remember taking the first one. I think they stopped having them because the games kept being cancelled because of the weather. Because they were played under lights there wasn't may places the games could be played.

Pete Lewis:

i played in that game and scored the 3rd or 4th spot kick, the fal/hel side was managed by tony strike from porthleven,

i am no longer able to commit to sat football because of work but watch a few games when i can so if you want a hand running a side (if the mining league think they are good enough) pm me and i would be happy to help, i think it would be a great idea before the leagues become 1

:c: :c:

And Coopsie my whole life is Gulval, the Rep game was 4 me!

Can't say much fairer than that Mike :c: .. Though, is that Boris, Bowden, JoJo and Toby in the picture aswell?. Good stuff for Gulval if it was. (The day is a bit hazey for me, the local water, combined with lack of food got me in a nice state, :D )..

• 5 weeks later...