Cornwall Football Forum

Radio Cornwall

Little on no comment has appeared on this Forum regarding R.C's "Sports Scene".I was just wondering if anyone still listens at 5.pm each Saturday ;and would be interested in your opinions on the quality.

For my own part,they seem to have a reasonable presented and (notwithstanding a few errors) it it is not too bad.

Guest Gary Andrews

yes i listen i find it ok , although the same little select group of managers seem to get interviewed everyweek , which would be the only fault i could pick up on

As a past participant it's not really for me to comment I guess, but yes it is a shame that we don't hear more from other people in the footballing world in Cornwall.

It's also a shame I feel that the South West Peninsula League title has been shortened down to SWPL, and why don't we get any results read out from the East Cornwall Premier?

Guest Gary Andrews

Lee Cooper

Darren Gilbert

Trevor Mewton

Stewart Dudley ( now and again)

Parkways manager ( cant remember his name )

Why not ever here anything else from people at tavi , callington , camelford , millbrook , launceston, st austell , etc etc etc etc

Guest Peppermint

As the name implies it is Radio CORNWALL - why then suggest Tavistock's manager or why Plymouth Parkway manager.

Whilst having nothing against the managers mentioned that are on frequently I am sure there are several articulate managers at other clubs that could be interviewed at times.

Ross Ellis has certainly improved on what was a poor programme in the days of a certain lady presenter but I do think that the management of the station have little no interest in sport or could careless what happens.

The only time that the CSWPL get a mention is when there is not much rugby or Truro City are not playing - this is not knocking Truro because they would expect greater coverage being the top team in the County but I do feel that there should a wider coverage of other teams in the Duchy.

I always was an avid listener especially when Dave had an early program when whilst driving to games you could catch up with all the local news and then never failed to have RC on when returning home for all the news and results etc, but now after the debacle of that female presenter I never listen in at all. I have tried a couple of times but as other posters have commented it`s the same people all the time and I find it a complete waste of time.

I still yearn for the late 90's when football was king on the station. I remember one year when, towards the end of one season (when City pipped Falmouth for the title) they actually did live commentary not just on Saturday but on SWL midweek games plus full coverage of the Senior Cup Final and the subsequent Thursday replay. They also had Tommy Matthew as a reporter and summariser and I quite enjoyed listening to him. If memory serves the bloke in charge of it back then was David White, though I stand to be corrected on that. Anyway, whoever it was he was more a football man than a rugger one.

The trouble now is that it's gone back to being a rugger first programme, which with the advent of the leagues and the position of the Pirates, All Blacks and Redruth in those leagues I can maybe understand to a degree. But it's a bit irritating that the Pirates get Sunday commentary when there's been a full rugby commentary on the Saturday as well. If they're doing the Pirates on Sunday how about a football commentary on the Saturday to balance things a bit?

The thing I did like was when 5-5.30 there was the rugby round up and from 5.30-6 it was Dave Deacon's football round up. You knew where you stood with that, but now that seems to have gone by the wayside which is an irritant especially if I'm waiting for news of a Truro away game and any interview with the boss.

One good thing in its favour, it did save me a wasted trip to Treyew last week so I guess it does have its uses. Ironically after all this grizzling about rugby it meant I could see the Wales-Argentina rugby match!

Guest footbaron

Interesting topic. Not least because I'm a journalism student and I've started work experience on the Sports Show on Radio Cornwall.

I know for a fact Ross really cares about local football, he's not helped by all the postponements at the moment! I can't speak for the last presenter.

Anyway, I blog about football in the media and you can find my posts about working at RC here:

http://jb1605.wordpress.com/category/bbc-radio-cornwall/

If you have any feedback on how to improve the sports show you want me to pass on, maybe post on here or comment on my blog?

footbaron, where on earth have you been for probably about the last 2 years, RC have ruined a perfectly good program and you cannot blame the latest round of postponements for its poor program. i would think they have lost 95% of their football listeners compared to the Dave Deacon era, all you need to do is to look up all the postings on the subject to get a feel of what is wrong. I have to stop typing now as the admin would have to delete this post.

Guest footbaron

footbaron, where on earth have you been for probably about the last 2 years, RC have ruined a perfectly good program and you cannot blame the latest round of postponements for its poor program. i would think they have lost 95% of their football listeners compared to the Dave Deacon era, all you need to do is to look up all the postings on the subject to get a feel of what is wrong. I have to stop typing now as the admin would have to delete this post.

Where have I been? Not living in Cornwall! I'm new here!

Guest Peppermint

Footbaron - I suggest you trawl through some archive postings on the Forum re Radio Cornwall then you might have a better idea of why the station is unpopular.

I know Ross Ellis and he certainly is enthusiastic about football but unfortunately the powers that be at Radio Cornwall are not really interested in local football and that is why rugby gets the lion's share of coverage and Truro City dominate the rest.

I know people will come out and say but these rugby teams are in fairly high league postions but it is Radio CORNWALL and the licence payers deserve better coverage of all teams in the County - again I have no quarrel with Truro getting more coverage because they are the leading football team but please let's have some more attention to other football clubs.

Yesterday we had quite a piece about a rugby team from London against Guernsey I think - probably London Cornish.

We all are aware of the damage and the rot setting in when a certain lady was presenting and we lost respected reporters of footbal like Dave Deacon, Tom Trust and Ken Reed. Please Footbaron do some research and although I admire your defence of the station - the station owes better to all the many many football followers of this County.

Finally, like B Manning, I had better stop typing before I state something that the moderators will have to remove.

Guest footbaron

Footbaron - I suggest you trawl through some archive postings on the Forum re Radio Cornwall then you might have a better idea of why the station is unpopular.

I know Ross Ellis and he certainly is enthusiastic about football but unfortunately the powers that be at Radio Cornwall are not really interested in local football and that is why rugby gets the lion's share of coverage and Truro City dominate the rest.

I know people will come out and say but these rugby teams are in fairly high league postions but it is Radio CORNWALL and the licence payers deserve better coverage of all teams in the County - again I have no quarrel with Truro getting more coverage because they are the leading football team but please let's have some more attention to other football clubs.

Yesterday we had quite a piece about a rugby team from London against Guernsey I think - probably London Cornish.

We all are aware of the damage and the rot setting in when a certain lady was presenting and we lost respected reporters of footbal like Dave Deacon, Tom Trust and Ken Reed. Please Footbaron do some research and although I admire your defence of the station - the station owes better to all the many many football followers of this County.

Finally, like B Manning, I had better stop typing before I state something that the moderators will have to remove.

Let's be clear here; I'm not 'defending' the station, just expressing my surprise there's such bad feeling towards it.

Would I be right in saying, then, that the main issues are:

More coverage of rugby

Little coverage of those clubs lower than Truro

Interviews with the same managers every week

Anything else to add?

Guest Peppermint

Those points are a start - we have commentary of rugby on Saturdays and then surprise surprise if the Cornish Pirates play on a Sunday we have more commentary on rugby.

I appreciate that the programme is better now that Ross is in charge but unfortunately the powers that be at the station have not a clue about sport or its importance to numerous people in the County. If they could actually think then we might have some improvements - after all we as licence payers should have what we want not what they think we want.

Good luck Footbaron with your journalistic career.