Cornwall Football Forum

Feedback on Respect required.

Like many have said before respect is a 2 way thing, unfortunately the good refrees will always be overshadowed by the bad, My biggest problems with referees is, if they have a bad game which happens they still get paid, but you never have a letter from the ccfa refs to say sorry for the refree performance today.

Just got a £40 fine for calling a referee a joke, when asking him politely why he book a player for pushing another away after being tackled 2 footed, he replied because he raised his hands, learn the rules , i then asked him why he didn't book a defender who cleared the ball off the line by his hand (we scored the penalty) he said right thats enough behind the fence and whats your name. Wrote a letter to the referee officer never got a repy. Why play by the rules when it suits.

Referee's should be paid on there performance, if both sides mark the refree down then he shouldn't be given full pay.

Hi johnnie, perhaps this is the other side of the coin so to speak, what if for instance the referee marks the teams and low marks mean a points deduction from the league ( as the teams dont get paid you cannot deduct money) or maybe the low marked teams get fined on a monthly basis. For the record I am not serious but just acting as devils advocate in response to your post regarding basically what would be fining the referee part or all of his/her fee on his perceived performance.

I think the concept of deducting a referee part of match fee is an awful idea...

So if the referee has an expectional game he gets paid more?! Who interprets the referees performance?!

A referee could lose out on money purely because he's been used a scapegoat for a sides poor performance!

Also that system would mean that referees would only want to referee certain teams, and would want to avoid others that mark them low. There would be certain games such as local derby's that are always difficult to referee that refs would avoid due to fear of low marks. This idea would only drive away referee's something we can not afford to do.

Wasn't meant to be serious deducting money just disappointed that when they make mistakes that are clear rules of fa football who do they answer too. No one ever wants to see players sent off or booked, but rules are rules and they quote rules when it suits and not always the same for both teams. There are a lot of good referees around, just the same few that spoil it.

"There are a lot of good referees around, just the same few that spoil it."

Johnny,imagine the following scenario:

Both teams are walking on to the pitch in preparation for the game:the referee has failed to arrive: one of the above "spoilers" offers his services.

WOULD YOU ACCEPT HIS OFFER ?

Johnnie, in answer to your question "who do they answer to " I can only speak about myself but I answer to myself, if I have made a serious mistake then I can assure you that after the game and for a good few days afterwards I replay the incident over and over again trying to see where I went wrong and how I can avoid making the same mistake in the future, as a referee you have to be very self critical, this way you can remain on top of your game and hopefully improve where needed.

Adlestrop in answer to your question then you would probaly say yes, but me being a citic would ask why he never had a game that day when there is a shortage of referees !!

B Manning Refs have bad games it happens, my point being why do Refs quote the rules when it suits them

1. I booked him because he raised his hands to an opponent (after being 2 footed)

2. Then i get sent to the stands for asking why he didn't book an opposition player for clearing the ball off the line with his hand, penalty awarded last man.

£40 fine for my trouble

i understand what you mean jonnie, sometimes they find it impossible to admit they made mistake and take it out on players/managers, my only problem with some refferes is ones who throw their weight around needlessly, and want to be centre of attention, for some of them its just a power trip, the best refs are always the ones that you dont notice from start to finish.

But at the end of the day, there are lot of players that give refs grief so its a two way thing, at the end of day we gotta appreciate all refs, cos at end of the day without them we cant play the game we all love, and there is massive shortage at mo.

there is never going to be a right or wrong answer regarding referee's.i have played for about 7 or 8 years now and to be honest the majority of referee's are generaly pretty good,if players were ridiculed for all the mistakes they made during a game then how would they feel,.a referee is only human at the end of the day and do the job to the best of their ability.had a referee that gave a penalty against us at the beginning of the season,which clearly was atleast 3 yards outside the area,afterwards he came into the changing room and apologised for his mistake and didnt realise till after the penalty was taken,although we only lost by the 1 goal and was "pissed off" that we could have had a draw every single player was fine with it simply for the fact that the referee admitted his mistake,just wish their was a few more like that.

New rule to me also, the Law (15) states that the ball should be delivered from behind and over his head, if the ball is released directly downwards then it has been delivered from in front of his head so it`s a foul throw. The only amendment to the throw in law recently was that an opponent must be 2 metres from the thrower and cannot impede the thrower.