Cornwall Football Forum

WIGAN ATHLETIC

Coopsie

Just been on the Spurs site and came across a quite fantastic article. Rather than put a link, this is the story I discovered......

Wigan Athletic's players are to refund fans' tickets for Sunday's humiliating 9-1 reverse at Tottenham.

A White Hart Lane horror show saw Roberto Martinez's side endure the proverbial run-around in the capital.

Having had time to assess their performance in North London, Wigan's players have come to the decision to refund their travelling supporters.

Captain Mario Melchiot accepts the level of their performance was unacceptable and hopes this gesture at least partially atones for such a heavy defeat.

"We feel that as a group of players we badly let down our supporters yesterday, and this is a gesture we have to make and pay them back for their tremendous loyalty," read a statement from Melchiot on the club's official website.

"There is not a lot else to say, just that as a group of professionals we were embarrassed by the way we performed, we feel it was below our standards and this is something we feel we owe to the fans.

"Now we have to draw a line under the game, focus completely on training this week and bounce back on Saturday.

"We are professionals, we will take it on the chin and move on but it's important that we do not take our supporters for granted." .....

Surely this is unprecedented???

Lets see if they'll refund my phone bill, for having to reply to bloody yiddos texting me!!!

:clapper:

I wonder what the chances of West Ham doing the same :o

Bloody hell mate, you don't want much do you :o .. If the players had to pay out every time the supporters went home gutted, they'd be as skint as the club :thumbsup::clapper: :yahoo:

£35 for about 300 fans probably!! hardly a dent in the players pocket!! should refund the travelling as well in my opinion.

I know that the Villa centre half that retired last year bought a home shirt for every fan in the Holte End I think with his name and number on the back or something.

Although the best of the lot was when Excheberria (sp) played for Bilbou (sp) I think, in Spain for a season for free, as the club were in financial trouble!! could you imagine any player doing that over here?

Guest Peppermint

It may not be a significant amount of money to the players but it was at last a gesture that should be applauded.

A question for Anita - are the Arsenal players refunding their fans for the trip to Sunderland because Mr Wenger was not impressed with their attitude and performance!!!!!!!!!

It may not be a significant amount of money to the players but it was at last a gesture that should be applauded.

A question for Anita - are the Arsenal players refunding their fans for the trip to Sunderland because Mr Wenger was not impressed with their attitude and performance!!!!!!!!!

OR are Chelsea refunding their supporters after losing to Wigan?.

Agree totally Peppermint, as a gesture, it's pretty much unprecedented in this day and age and should be applauded :clapper:

Mr Wenger is never happy, even when we win and play well his not happy :D

That's the French foy you :rolleyes:

i thought it was just a man thing ;)

You're right, but only because there's French people in the world ;)

You're right, but only because there's French people in the world ;)

:thumbsup: i'm happy at the mo, we're 1-0 up lets hope we can keep our lead for a change :drink: