Cornwall Football Forum

Away Trophy draw for City

Guest Peppermint

Hornchurch host Chelmsford City on Tuesday evening at 7.45pm in thier replay - Chelmsford [nickname Clarets] must be kicking themselves because they threw away a 4-1 lead against Ryman Premier team Hornchurch [nickname The Urchins].

Chelmsford play in the Blue Square South League and are lying 8th and Hornchurch are 18th in their table.

A tough away draw but good luck to City tomorrow evening and they should know their First Round Proper opponents after the game tomorrow.

I thought I would beat Statto [Mike Odgers] to the information but knowing Mike I am sure he will come up with some more information!!!!!!

Some good research there Graham.

I dont want to tempt fate but-

Chelmsford is the County town of Essex (with a population of 120,000) and if these two get through it would mean a 6 hour and 330mile journey for Truro.

The F A Trophy is still regionalised North/South at this stage.

AFC Hornchurch of NE London play in the equivalent Ryman Isthmian League Premier and are underdogs for tomorrows Home replay so whatever the outcome it will mean a tough 300+ mile trip for City IF they get the result against Gloucester

Guest Peppermint

City's visit to Melbourne Park will probably mean that the home side will start as favourites due to their higher league status. Despite this Truro have nothing to lose and have enough good players to trouble Chelmsford City.

I was impressed with Jake Ash yesterday evening - it was not easy with the strong winds and sometimes driving rain but on the balance of the whole game I think City were the deserved winners and have earnt their place in the First Round Proper of the FA Trophy - are Truro the first team from Cornwall to reach this stage.

The number 10 for City looks a good player but he seems to get a knock in the second half and that seemed to handicap him slightly but he always looked dangerous when he had the ball.

Good luck to Truro City in the next round.

Guest Peppermint

Amazing Mike - how do you do it!!!!!!!

Thanks for the information - so City will have to get through to the Third Round to better Falmouth's record.

I bet Mike can even come up with the Falmouth Town team for the game!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I might go and watch this one as it's only 15 minutes down the road from me here in Colchester.

Until recently Chelmsford City were managed by Jeff King who used to be the manager of Canvey Island and he took them to the Confrence, he had a fall out with the board there and along with the players he also took his money to Chelmsford where over the past few years he has had some success with the team he is now the director of football.

The manager is now Glenn Pennyfather, he has played professional football for Ipswich and Southend making several hundred appearences.

Chelmsford play their matches at Melbourne park which is first and foremost an athletics club, with an 8 land running track around the pitch, when you play there it feels so very strange playing football in such openess, it's like being back on a local council pitch on a sunday morning, although they do have mobile terracing which are wheeled behind each goal for a game to create a little more atmosphere, these are capable of holding up to 600 spectators.

Getting there is quite easy, Leave the M25 at junction 28 and join the A12, which is signposted Chelmsford. After nine miles, take the exit for Chelmsford/Harlow. Join the dual carriageway, passing a golf course on the left, until reaching the first of two roundabouts. Go straight over the first, then turn left at the second, signposted Chelmsford Crematorium. Eventually take the A1060 (Rainsford Road). At second set of lights turn right into Chignall Road, and take another right soon afterwards into Melbourne Avenue. Turn left into Salerno Way in front of the big block of flats. Ample free parking is available in the Centre's car park adjacent to the stadium, although early arrival is recommended to secure a place. For bigger matches, overflow parking is arranged on the nearby park, alternativly you can fly by ryan air from Newquay (if they have winter flights) and catch the airport bus to the town centre and then a public transprt bus to the ground.