Cornwall Football Forum

Carharrack v Perranporth

It's 'Bring It On' time again, so ahead of Carharrack's game this weekend against Perranporth we have spoken to Perranporth manager Mick Lane to get his opinion ahead of the match.

Well Mick, firstly welcome, I understand that in your 17 years in Cornish football this is your first visit to Carharrack. This weekend is a top of a table clash with both Carharrack and Perranporth the only sides in FHFL not to have dropped a point or lose a cup game all season.

What do you expect from Perranporth this season? Where do you think you will finish come next May?

Well Rich, expectations are high for us this season and promotion is without doubt our main objective come next May. I believe that we have a strong enough squad to compete for the Junior cup as well. Having been on the losing side twice in Junior Cup finals as a player with Perranporth I would be delighted if we could win it this year and bring the trophy back to the West of the County.

Perranporth as a club is showing signs of ambition. Where do you see Perranporth reserves in the next 3 years considering the future FHFL/Mining League merger?

In an ideal world three years from now would see us playing Senior football. In order for us to achieve this we would need back to back promotions over the next two seasons. Some may think this is ambitious considering that there are some very good sides in FHFL but I firmly believe if we can keep the current squad together it would be a realistic possibility. The merger of the two leagues is long overdue and by combining the two leagues im sure we would see a very strong and competitive top two divisions. Hopefully our team won’t be part of the merger as our aim is promotion to Senior football for the first season of the new league.

Tell us a bit about the team. Who’s the most experienced and who is the up and coming star of the team?

We have a very strong squad with a good mixture of youth and experience. Our most experienced players in terms of the level they have played would include players such as Simon Jones, Ross Maynard, Lee Dark, Elliot Brown, Alex Arquati, Luke Brown, John Williams & Craig Barclay. Although, to be honest most of the lads have played Senior football in some form or another over the last few seasons and that also includes our 17 year old Goalkeeper Ben Mitchell who has returned to the club after a spell with St Agnes in the Combination League. In terms of up and coming stars I would definitely say Ben Mitchell is one to watch out for, but equally some of the younger players in the squad like our captain Martin Bennetts and Sam Mansfield are developing in to very good players. Our main star this season has been Barry Leete and his goal scoring has lead to his call up to the first team which makes him unavailable for the game today.

What have you heard about Carharrack this season?

Obviously I have been keeping my eye on Carharrack and it is no surprise to me that they are scoring bags of goals, from what I have heard they are also an ambitious club and I understand that promotion to Senior Football is something that the club are striving towards.

Where do you think we will finish?

I would imagine that Carharrack will be up there at the end of the season and I would expect to see them in a promotion place come next May.

Could we have your thoughts on the game this Saturday?

The encounter will see two of the league favourites looking to gain an upper hand in the title race, a win for us today would see us go 9 points clear at the top and a win for Carharrack would put them 3 point behind us with two games in hand. I predict a very close and hard fought battle with the game being decided by one or two goals. We'll have to wait and see who the winner is

Well thanks for your thoughts Mick, we look forward to playing you. Its going to be a tough match for both sides. We know you have a very talented side.