Cornwall Football Forum

Teenage memories of first visit to Falmouth - any ideas anyone?

The Falmouth Chairman for season 1978-79 was Derek Brown and Harold Jefferies was the Managing Director.

I cannot find the match programme but have viewed the newspaper library.

Wednesday 2nd.August 1978 (a highly competitve PSF)

FALMOUTH TOWN 1-------AFC. BOURNEMOUTH (FL Div.4) 2 h/t 1-2

The lively Ricky Cardew 11min----- Kenny Brown 3min;Trevor Finnegan 36min

After 30 minutes former Town striker Joe Scott replaced the injured Steve Massey and during a niggly second half Bournemouth winger Peter Johnson was sent off after a clash with Keith Sullivan.

The only other visiting player mentioned was Derek Showers forcing Bryan Helley into a good save.

During the close season 25year old Joe Scott was transferred from Falmouth to Bournemouth for a fee reportedly to be £1500.His previous record at Falmouth was 204 goals from 267 appearances between 1972-78.

After 8 consecutive League Championships it was all change at Bickland that season.

After 18 years the legendary Player/Manager Richard Gray quit alongside assistant Johnny Williams and eight players.

Keith Manley took over assisted by Colin Chegwyn .

The 1978-79 new look Falmouth squad was Bryan Helley;Dave Thomas(Illogan RBL);Keith Sullivan;Gareth Lobb(Bugle);Mervyn Rich;Keith Manley;Norman Ashe;Tony Leigh (Louis International);Ricky Cardew(Bodmin);Steve Barker(St.Blazey);Colin Chegwyn;Robbie Black(Wadebridge);Mike Swift (Holsworthy);Dave Ferret:

So was this Steve Massey's first appearance on Cornish soil which he ended up in Treliske Hospital-or was the A&E at the Royal Cornwall Infirmary(City) Hospital in those days?

(the report said making his Bournemouth debut after a £10,000 move from Stockport County).

Did he not play in the earlier PSF at Bodmin?

Hi Mike,

It's not often your wrong! but once again you are spot on!

Just that little copy of info brought back many memories and in particular so many guys in the Falmouth team I would have many games against as a manager nearly 15 years later!

Even Ricky Cardew played that evening, we would go on to have some amazing battles for the league Championships and Cup Finals in the early 90's, Ricky of course Manager of Bodmin and myself with Truro.

I did not play in the game at Bodmin, John Benson said at the time he wanted to have a look at a few trialists and so many of first team didn't play at Bodmin, anyway the tougher game would be Falmouth John said, so I waited a few more days for debut.

We stayed I remember in a Large country hotel in Perranworthal near the Norway Inn.

I went to find it again when first arriving in the County but looks like it has been built on with new houses (1990?)

The other player mentioned for Bournemouth you said was Derek Showers, He was a welsh international and very good striker, we started the season off together and top guy he was to.

There is a connection here also, because Derek's big mate and best friend is Wayne Hewitt, Wayne played for Falmouth under me in my last two years as manager.

My memory as surprised me, I thought it was about 25 mins when I was injured, and Mike confirms it was 30! also remember it was a real battle and no prisoners were taken, hence the report of a niggling battle!

Mike thanks for Info, As for who drove me to hospital ? could have been either of the two gentlemen mentioned, All I remember was being taken in a Brown Rover, Very posh to!! I was scared i would get blood all over the seats, but he was very nice about it!!

Regards

Steve Massey

Glad you liked it Steve-I wouldn't have known you played in that game unless you mentioned it, but I will now.

To be honest I probably was there but can not remember the game.

I just love the nostalga and history of cornish football and thanks for the off beat story of the occasion and your other memoirs..

See you soon

Mike.

I would edge my bets that Harold Jefferies took you to Hospital,I seem to remember him with a Rover type car.

I am sure he is still around the Falmouth area so someone might be able to see him to confirm.

Even Ricky Cardew played that evening, we would go on to have some amazing battles for the league Championships and Cup Finals in the early 90's, Ricky of course Manager of Bodmin and myself with Truro.

steve your memory is better than mine but didnt steve barker move to bodmin aswell as ricky and play for them when they won the league an cup double chairman of town at that time was ken gilbert if i recall and the sponsors were gynn construction . who were sponsors for many many years