Cornwall Football Forum

Brislington 8, Porthleven 0

Hello, Mangotsfield United fan here in peace. Best wishes to you all. Mike Odgers will know me from past connections! Greetings, Mike!

Anyway, on Saturday I watched Brislington 8, Porthleven 0 and here's what I posted on the Mangotsfield forum that night about the game, as a neutral:

"Enjoyable FA Vase game at Ironmould Lane today, rain one minute & sun the next, but as the score suggests, it was a comfortable home win for Brizz.

The goals came on 6, 21, 30, 47, 70, 75, 77 & 78 minutes, but fortunately for Cornish side Porthleven, from the SW Peninsula league, there were no further goals afterwards when it seemed highly likely that there might be! Brizz played some nice stuff at times, with some good approach play and some of the goals were from well-worked moves, as well as one which came from a very high right-wing cross/drop kick which somehow eluded the Porthleven keeper to bounce into the net over his head!

Brizz, pretty much, were always in command though. Porthleven rarely troubled the home goal, especially in the first half, but at 4-0 down, they came into the game more, both sides hitting the bar at one stage, but the 5th goal wrapped up the win and quickly opened the flood gates for another 3 goals in quick succession.

The visitors had a number of supporters with them on the team bus, who will have gone home very disappointed tonight, but they can feel proud of their boys in the yellow and black, even though from about 2-0 onwards, it always looked like a home win. At all times during the game, Porthleven continued to try & play some decent football. They never resorted to any rough stuff, never did any bad tackles, never argued with the officials and they played the game in the right spirit for all the 90 minutes.

So well done Brislington, a very good performance indeed and some great goals. Hope they get a decent draw in the next round of the Vase - and well done Porthleven, for never giving up and for continuing to play in the right spirit even when it was clear they were going to lose heavily. Hope they do well for the rest of their season. Dave S"

Of course, our Mango boys are at Truro this weekend, but I personally won't be there. Some fans are travelling down on Friday with the team and some are travelling on Saturday. We go into the game as underdogs, so we have nothing to lose.......

Dave S

Very good & honest report & i really appreciate your kind comments towards my team. We were outplayed & beaten by a very good side on sat however, i dont think we deserved to lose by that many. I am very proud of my team & their attitude right through the game on sat was excellent & playing in the vase against much better opposition is something we have enjoyed & i hope will benifit us throughout the rest of the season.

We wish Brislington the best of luck in the next round & for the rest of the season.

Kevin Richards

Manager

Porthleven AFC

Hi Kevin - thanks for your kind words too. Really, your players were an absolute credit to your club on Saturday, and for me, coming off the back of 2 Mangotsfield games v a very physical Gillingham Town side, and the group of unpleasant "fans" they brought with them to the replay, watching Porthleven play football for 90 minutes in the proper spirit with nothing untoward was a breath of fresh air!

Yes, the score was slightly flattering, but those 4 goals in 8 minutes late on were the real killer blow. All the best. though, for the rest of the season. I'll be keeping an eye on your scores & have mentioned the Brizz game in the next Mangotsfield programme after tomorrow. I've praised your lads in that article too. Will send you down a copy once it's printed. At the moment, it's down to go in the Truro REPLAY programme........... :D

Mike - Brizz v Poole looks a good one too, it's only a mile or so from me, but if it's Saltash or Bodmin down the Farm on the same day, that's where I'll be, all being well! And yes, I heard few people shouting "Up the Port" at Brizz on Saturday! Fair play to them, it's a long way from home.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Nice report, good luck to the Mangos on Sat, most of Cornwall will be hoping you win.

Being an outsider what gives you the right to speak for Cornwall.

A huge majority of Cornish football fans (and those of us who have invaded your County) will be watching their own clubs and couldn't give a toss about your lot.

Nice report, good luck to the Mangos on Sat, most of Cornwall will be hoping you win.

Being an outsider what gives you the right to speak for Cornwall.

I am not an 'outsider' and agree with The Judge, other than the Truro fans, most of Cornwall really don't care about Truro FC.

Would much rather support a local club without money influences.