Cornwall Football Forum

Attendances - Here we go again !

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

From the SWPL website - "Home clubs are required to state an accurate attendance figure of those watching the match."

Hayle v Newquay attendance declared just 31.

Amazing considering 25 travelled from the Newquay area and there were about the same again in home support. Indeed, this is backed up by HANSOME DAN in his notes from the match...

Aug 15 2009, 09:20 PM Post #9

hansome dan

"hayle 2 newquay 4

crowd about 50 was a bit dissapointing as about half came from newquay."

I have a lot of time for Hayle, they have done some incredible work on the ground this summer including a complete rebuild in just 8 weeks of the changing rooms. However, to declare 31 is simply wrong. It does not matter how many pay to get in or how many are freeloaders, you must give the actual attendance inside the ground.

I just hope that other clubs do not go back to this habit of underdeclaring, it does not show the SWPL or Cornish football in a good light.

Guest Old Timer

Here , Here!! maybe a head count at 60 minutes should be an appropriate way of declaring the attendance or maybe just counting at the entrance gate? simples. well done to newquay fans for the away travel, keep the support home and away and hopefully other clubs will take that into account and try and better the support. i know st. blazey fans might have something to say about this support issue as i know they have a decent amount of support home and away. plymouth parkway took 10-15 away down to penzance, wich is a decent amount considering the distance. what is there better to do on a saturday or week night?

:D

in reply to the last posts about attendances. i would like to point out that we had 2 games being played at the same time. so we cant count everybody as spectators. the game on our 2nd pitch finished 30mins earlier

than the 1st did, so the last 30mins it was probualy about 100 watching. we go by what we make on the gate, not the actual head count. we also let kids in free, which probually causes the minor confusion when people head count. we dont charge people who help out at the club either. Hayle is run by volunteers with nobody on wages, so that is our way of thanking them. questioning our head count, as if were corrupt offends us. i also congratulate newquay for their support, they must be worth 3 points a season. good luck and god bless. :D

I don't think anyone can doubt that before half time, there were 50 or so watching the match, it dosn't matter if they paid to get in or not, regardless of age. The SWPL require the attendance to be declared as those actually watching. It is possible, that Hayle were unaware of the SWPL stipulation and apologies if my comments have upset anyone.

I fully appreciate the effort that goes into organising matchdays, people tend to forget that volunteers give up time to help run clubs such as Hayle (and Newquay + most others in the county) and that they do it for the love, not the glory, they are all to be appluaded.

Perhaps if just one person was to be given the job of a headcount after 30 mins of the first half at each ground, we would get a fair and accurate picture as to the state of crowds in the SWPL. I am happy to do so at Mount Wise and hope that others will follow at their own grounds.

I don't think anyone can doubt that before half time, there were 50 or so watching the match, it dosn't matter if they paid to get in or not, regardless of age. The SWPL require the attendance to be declared as those actually watching. It is possible, that Hayle were unaware of the SWPL stipulation and apologies if my comments have upset anyone.

I fully appreciate the effort that goes into organising matchdays, people tend to forget that volunteers give up time to help run clubs such as Hayle (and Newquay + most others in the county) and that they do it for the love, not the glory, they are all to be appluaded.

Perhaps if just one person was to be given the job of a headcount after 30 mins of the first half at each ground, we would get a fair and accurate picture as to the state of crowds in the SWPL. I am happy to do so at Mount Wise and hope that others will follow at their own grounds.

that sounds like a good idea. everybody should do that. :D

Well so far this season, the 3 away games weve had have all come out about right. My head count at Dartmouth was about 110. Official crowd, 115. Tavi on the tuesday seemed to be quite a few more and a crowd of 175 seems about right. Sherbourne came out about 135 which also looked spot on. Some decent crowds to start the season.