Cornwall Football Forum

Holland v England

Full squad: Foster (Manchester United), Green (West Ham), Robinson (Blackburn); Bridge (Manchester City), A Cole (Chelsea), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Johnson (Liverpool), Lescott (Everton), Terry (Chelsea), Upson (West Ham); Barry (Manchester City), Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Carrick (Manchester United), Gerrard (Liverpool), Lampard (Chelsea), Milner (Aston Villa), Walcott (Arsenal), Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Young (Aston Villa); Cole (West Ham), Heskey (Aston Villa), Rooney (Manchester United), Defoe (Tottenham).

Not too many surprises in this squad.

However, it does raise a few questions:

Is Capello paving the way for Foster being the first choice?

Will Crouch get back in?

Is time running out for Owen?

Is this going to develope into a Spurs/Arsenal with your constant snipping at my comments.

Here goes ,fingers crossed.

Answers to your questions.

YES,I think Foster is being groomed as the future England No.1.

YES,Crouch will return,Capello is hopefully having a look at Cole to see if he is up to it.

CROUCH or COLE.?[Another debate].

YES,time is getting short for Owen,he will not be a regular starter with United so its going to be difficult to

keep coming on and scoring,plus I think Capello likes Defoe.

Intresting comment from Theo Walcott saying he would sacrifice any trophies at Arsenal,to be part of a

successful England team at the World Cup.Wenger will not like that,and I wonder how many other England

players have that attitude.

ANOTHER DEBATE,A Premiership and Champions League double or a World Cup.?

Might start that one up before you steel my thunder.

:smiley20: Interesting comment from Theo Walcott saying he would sacrifice any trophies at Arsenal,to be part of a

successful England team at the World Cup.Wenger will not like that,and I wonder how many other England

players have that attitude.

He wont have to make any sacrifice,theres no danger of the Arse winning any trophies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Pleat and Clive Tyldesley laudinig it over Rooney again tonight as usual....thought he was pretty ordinary to be honest....However, worst player on the pitch....Glenn Johnson...as a Liverpool fan, cannot beleive why Rafa has let Alonso go and thinks Johnson is the answer at RB for £17m......Overpriced by about £12m...can't defend to save his life....Babbel roasted hm time after time when he came on tonight.

Well he will get praise from me...

Excellent performance from Defoe and deserved to be man of the match.

Carlton Cole also looked to be unsettling the Dutch defence more than Heskey did and also came close to getting on the score sheet.

I can see a good few goals coming for Spurs this season with the Defoe - Crouch pairing.

I can't find any reference to Walcott saying that. SS needs to say where he got it from. As for shane's comments about us that's a bit rich coming from a supporter of a club that has never won the Prem and isn't likely to.

Stick to the point, scouseboy!

On Walcott:

>>"Speaking to the Sunday Express, he admitted that the World Cup was the ultimate prize and revealed that he would love to help England win the trophy for a second time.

“The World Cup is the biggest trophy you can win in football,” explained Walcott.

“You ask anyone that question– they would love to win it.

“I’ll probably get killed by all these Arsenal fans now, but deep down the World Cup is the big one.

“If you win that in your career, it’s some achievement. We have got a great chance.”<<

And before St. Darren has to mention it again, the English top flight hardly originated with the Premier League! Liverpool have won the division 18 times, frenchie!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread: Defoe did look good; Johnson did look iffy -- but maybe Babbel has some inside info from the training sessions! Still, a good friendly result.

Mexico 2-1 USA. :(

Dave Pleat and Clive Tyldesley laudinig it over Rooney again tonight as usual....thought he was pretty ordinary to be honest....However, worst player on the pitch....Glenn Johnson...as a Liverpool fan, cannot beleive why Rafa has let Alonso go and thinks Johnson is the answer at RB for £17m......Overpriced by about £12m...can't defend to save his life....Babbel roasted hm time after time when he came on tonight.

You follow football??

1. David Pleat wasn't even commentating, it was Jim Beglin, former Liverpool player with an Irish accent!

2. Rafa had to let Alonso go cos he didn't want to stay

Johnson was poor last night, but I'd put that down to pre-season. Lets hope he does get better as a defender

Where are Midfield,Mangle,Smithy,Whistleblower.?

I'm here!

Are you missing me? I didn't know you cared so much! :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, I thought the half-time substitutions made all the difference. Whatever Capello said much have struck a chord. Credit where credit is due. Bent was sensational and I was impressed by the way in which he held off the Dutch defence for his first goal. Most strikers - English or not - would have gone sprawling by that point. He has certainly given Capello something to think about. Wright-Phillips and Milner also played their part and must now be in serious contention. Rooney? Not his fault. He was isolated in the first half and had little chance to play his usual game. Green showed his lack of international experience and his kicking was poor.

On a different note, I thought Andy Townsend was very perceptive with his comments about they way in which we approached the game in the first half. Frankly, we were poor and didn't seem capable of playing a high-tempo pressing game which we need to do if we are to be successful next year. I always like to watch teams like Barca and Spain as they play the type of football which is based on these qualities and certainly brings the results. Do we have the players capable of doing this? I believe we do but we still have a long way to go.

I dont think England were poor at all, i thought we played well and were it not for a couple of individual mistakes would have won comfortably.

Carlton Cole had a good game and if Defoe has a good season and continues to hit the net for England, he's got to be on the plane for South Africa. Time for Owen to start showing his worth again! Milner was impressive, not over-struck on Wright-Philips though, and will he play much at City this season?

Room for improvements of course but i think England under Capello are develping nicely. Terry will be lifting that golden trophy next summer, mark my words!!! :thumbsup:

England played much better second half i thought,And there was some interesting points.

Glen Johnson 'Shocking'

Carlton Cole 'surprisingly good'

Michael Carrick 'Give him a chance'

James Milner 'He's coming good,Now time to step up,He's been under21 for too long'

Jermaine Defoe 'Your going to Sth Africa'

Michael Owen 'You got some work to do to get back in'

And i said the game was pointless,Humble pie?????.....Hhhhhhmmmmm,Interesting............