Cornwall Football Forum

Friendly Match Result and Report

A great win for pendeen, pendeen were the better side for most of the game, penzance hardly threatened the pendeen goal till late on after a number of subitutions by pengdeen, pendeen look a good bet to win their place back into the combo this season, wish them the best of luck this year in fhl1

29TH July 2009

Pendeen Rovers 2-0 Penzance Reserves

Thank goodness this was a friendly result as Penzance were mostly at sea and at times it seemed their boat had capsized. To say they were out-played for most of the ninety minutes was an understatement. I say ninety minutes but I’m wrong as the referee only played 38mins for the first half!

Pendeen are hoping to apply to rejoin the Combination League at the end of the season and on this showing they have a good chance of being in with a shout.

Playing down the slope but into a gusting wind Pendeen have a chance in the first minute. They break right, cross to the back post where their forward just misses the post with a knock-on.

A minute later they open their account. Along ball from the back sees Andy Howells beat the off-side trap and cleverly chip the ball over the advancing keeper. 1-0 after 2mins.

For the person who likes to see goalmouth action, well that was about it for the half apart from a Pendeen free-kick which is knocked into the box, neatly laid off but the follow up goes just over the bar.

Penzance’s passing is poor but the back four cope with the Pendeen attack most of the time.

H-T

Penzance come out and strait away their passing is crisper and actually connecting with each other. They try a couple of long range shots but the Pendeen keeper easily deals with them.

12mins into the half Pendeen double their lead. They work the ball left to right across the centre of the park to the edge of the box. Nathan Jackson receives the ball and fires cross goal past the keeper. 2-0 after 57mins (or 50mins in refs time)

And as far as action is concerned that was about it. Both teams made a series of substitutions but Penzance’s defence and Pendeen’s keeper put a dampener on it.

Man of the match for me was the Pendeen keeper. Grabbed every long range shot and jumped and got every cross in.

Penzance – Liam Devine, Liam Bennetts, Ashley Thomas, Kieran Branfield, Kim Smith, Steve Hancock, Jimmy England, Craig Nicholls, Tom Withecombe, Ryan Holland, Max Davies, Ryan Andrew, Andre Otto, Darren Steadman, Darren Ball, Greg Olds

Corners – Pendeen 0-4 Penzance (0-1 1st half)

Crowd - 58

No I just copy my list of players I scribble down as players turn up. Too lazy to sort it into positions.

Liam has played at least one game in goal though, last season and was unbeaten.

Don't make look in the records cos i can't be bothered as I'm updating the website with dates of combo matches from the 1960's at present.

Have a look at the site, Pidge.

http://www.comboleaguearchive.110mb.com/Le...hive%20List.htm

Click on the links that say "FIXTURE LIST"

I have other dates, etc but are having trouble reconciling them with other figures I have so I'm spending time re-checking. I also have dates for cup matches and am wondering to add them as well. It takes hours scanning papers as you well know.

So by looking at the website now you can say that

5th November 1966

FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES 6-1 NANPEAN ROVERS RESERVES

NEWQUAY RESERVES 3-3 PENZANCE RESERVES

TRURO CITY RESERVES 4-3 HELSTON ATHLETIC RESERVES

were the games played in the league that day

Guest Postie Pidge

Cool, thats my plan for the SWL website I wanna create. By having a results grid its easy to record the date in there