Cornwall Football Forum

Abuse to Match officials

I have read in a national paper today that a young 14 year old girl , who has taken up refereeing has had to put up with supporters shouting abuse at her ,  When she approached the subject on the Grass Roots Facebook page , she was told that you have to be thick skinned to be a Ref and ignore it as it come with the territory . Which is really good advise  ( NOT )  Her father stated that comments such as F+++ing D+++head and F+++ing Robbing B+++++D were clearly shouted at her . As the Referee she has the authority to speak to these people , but I fully understand that she feels that it is not easy for a young girl of 14 or a lad to try and talk to adults who believe it is their right to verbally abuse the Ref . This was at a under 8`s game , so not only are they letting them selves down they are certainly setting their children a great example of how to behave . If we want the game to carry on at grassroots level we need to have Referees , yes some of  the older Refs finish their careers officiating  kids football but we require the young Boys / Girls who have the guts to stand up and be counted and Ref , but if they have to put up with a constant barrage of abuse then you can not blame them for walking away from the game and they will not be replaced so less official for games means games don`t go ahead . Oh and we all know that ,that is the Refs fault for not being thick skinned . If these parents and that goes for everyone who is willing to shout abuse at a Ref because they feel that they have made a poor decision ,, should step up take the course and become a Official as they all seem to be able to do a better job than the ref at their game .As they are very quick to say so . Then lets see if they could stand the abuse thrown there way , Or maybe the best thing to do is step back take a good look at them selves and give the young Boy  /Girl some credit for doing what most people haven`t the guts to do themselves . As for the young girl Emily Dyke   who stated to the paper ` I`m just a child doing something I love `  keep going I can`t promise it will get any better abuse wise but its a great thing you do and I have had so so many happy times as a Match official that they out way the mindless idiots who abuse us .

I taught a boy from Tretherras who was a fantastic lad who could also play a bit and had all the attributes of a potentially great referee. He was selected to have some training and be one of the referees at a CCFA festival at the school and sports centre. He was in charge of a U-7/8s game and had abuse spewed at him by a local team coach. As far as I know he's never refereed again. The local guy had his knuckles rapped and forced to apologise but we've lost a good lad to a gobby self-important nobody. Sad. 

I taught a boy from Tretherras who was a fantastic lad who could also play a bit and had all the attributes of a potentially great referee. He was selected to have some training and be one of the referees at a CCFA festival at the school and sports centre. He was in charge of a U-7/8s game and had abuse spewed at him by a local team coach. As far as I know he's never refereed again. The local guy had his knuckles rapped and forced to apologise but we've lost a good lad to a gobby self-important nobody. Sad.

I have seen similar things happen to other young Refs , its a shame as the young Refs of today are the ones that move on up through the ranks and hopefully reach dizzy heights ,