Cornwall Football Forum
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Deacon

Refs appointments?

i think everyone understands how tough reffing is, no two ways about it, probably not another job/hobbie out there like it, getting judged by the players and fans, thats pressure.

what gets to me is that as a captain you get together for the toss in the middle and almost every ref will say how he will listen to you and look to you for help, you jog up and ask him about a decision and he tells you to go away!!!

i think all players, managers, fans and whoever else can handle little fouls being wrongly adjuged but its the big decisions that all players want the refs to get right, i've had some excellent refs this year and probably havent given them enough credit after the game, and theres others who in MY OPINION havent had the best of games, but its subjective as my understanding of the laws wont be as good as theres,

a question for refs on the long throw, is the player taking the throw aloud to spin the ball, basically throwing the ball like an american football?

There is nothing in the laws of the game to say you can't spin the ball, however some refs deem this to be 'unsporting' and will penalise. Personally I don't. The law states you must use both hands, face the field of play, delivers the ball from behind the head and have both feet on or behind the touchline.

With the long throw,if the player can get spin on the ball using a legal throw then no problems, anything else should be penalised. As to speaking to players before the game and at the toss up I never offer any advice or say what I will or wont do in my opinion that is just asking for problems, plus they are not really interested in listening all they want to do is play football.

thats interesting, i assumed there would be something official in place regarding throwins, i agree with you about not saying anything at the toss, i think its impossible to pre-determine how a game is going to be played. i also agree that the captains are probably not listening as they just want to get started,

Perhaps if Refs didn't know they were being assessed, the powers that be, may get a true relection on how a ref performs. Half the problem is, that everyone seems to know who the Assessors are, word gets around the ground and everyone knows that there will be bookings for the slightest touch.

We have Refs moaning about those on MOTD, but all anyone involved in football wants, is the officials to be consistant on the laws of the game. I'm sure, that everyone either playing, watching or officiating want an enjoyable game, it is upto the ref to determine how enjoyable it is. It is he who sets the boundaries, if players overstep the mark, then everyone knows what to expect.

How many times have you heard a huge groan when the name of the ref is made public, it is 50/50 that you hear, "oh so and so, he's a good ref, we had him down at Falport" although it was a game your team probably won by a dodgy penalty.

CONSISTANCY PLEASE.

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower:

• faces the field of play

• has part of each foot either on the touch line or on the ground

outside the touch line

• uses both hands

• delivers the ball from behind and over his head

That is from LOAF if that helps with your query regarding spin with a key point being that he uses both hands. As with my previous post providing those criteria have been met then there is no problem.

Nemesis, why does the old chesnut "consistancy" keep rearing it`s head, we are all human beings therefore we are by nature inconsistant so your call is utopia i`m afraid, we all see things different we all behave differently. This last saturday I had 3 identical incidents, I treated those incidents in exactly the same way and guess what after the game I was asked why I had not redcarded the last player whom I cautioned exactly the same as the previous 2 from the other side. But it was alright for their players to be cautioned but wanted the oppositions player sent off. So even they really didn`t want consistancy.only if it suited them.

jamie in answer to you question. i dont think so!!

thats between the ref the assesser, and the county office who get a copy.

can i askj you why you shouid thing a manager shouid see ther report!!

cause it would be interesting on how an assesser would score it compared to two managers who score the ref. thats all

on the assessment form the assesser as certain areas to put things for the referee to work on like..

fitness,, postioning etc etc

and if a referee was going for his next level say from a 5 to a 4.

he wouid have to have 3 assessments of over 70 (i think)marks from the assesser. plus club marks to be good as well. :thumbsup:

i hope this answers you question..

cause it would be interesting on how an assesser would score it compared to two managers who score the ref. thats all

Jamie

when a ref is asseesed its on the following aspects

1. application of law

2. positioning, fitness and workrate

3. alertness and awareness

4. communication

5. teamwork

6. advantage

7. match control

these were the catagories for my last assessment and you get marked on each one, which are then added together for your total.

you also get recommendations as to which aspects need to be worked on.

hope this helps give you a better prospective as to how the system works

I generally get to around the 70th minute mark, when I've just warmed up and got myself running, I then get the nod, "thats enough for today"

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

You would have laughed on Saturday though at the game!

Although as I've just said to someone else, the players didn't exactly help the situation!!

Jamie

when a ref is asseesed its on the following aspects

1. application of law

2. positioning, fitness and workrate

3. alertness and awareness

4. communication

5. teamwork

6. advantage

7. match control

these were the catagories for my last assessment and you get marked on each one, which are then added together for your total.

you also get recommendations as to which aspects need to be worked on.

hope this helps give you a better prospective as to how the system works

may thanks fella for your help.

another question that someone might be able to help me on is.. when a manager does his scoring of a ref what happens with this and maybe reports that they write on them. myself i normally leave it a couple days before i write my report because i like to reflect on the game and not in a heated mode or a very happy mood. i like to be fair on how i feel he done!

Jamie normally the marks are averaged out to give the referee a mark for the season and this can be part of the reason why a referee will/won't be promoted. I'm not sure about the report but it may be passes on to the Referee Development Officer who could give the referee a call to discuss the report.