Cornwall Football Forum

What a goal

kempy

I was wondering about the detail behind Porto's unbeaten home record, it was mentioned more than Ronaldo's goal ...

In 2004-05, Porto won their final group game against Mourinho’s Chelsea 2-1 but the Blues had already beaten them 3-1 at Stamford Bridge and had qualified for the next round. In 2005-06, Porto held Rangers to a 1-1 draw which wasn’t much use as they had already lost 3-2 at Ibrox and went out at the group stage, whereas Alex McLeish’s side moved on to the next round. In 2006-07, Porto held Arsenal 0-0 at home in a final group game that they needed to win to drop the group. Having already won 2-0 at the Emirates, a draw was the result Arsenal needed and they were successful. In the next round they held Chelsea 1-1 at home but they needed to win the home leg because they were beaten 2-1 in the return at Stamford Bridge. Last season their 1-1 home draw with Liverpool was overshadowed by a 4-1 thrashing away and their 2-0 win over Arsenal this year paled in comparison to their 4-0 drubbing at the Emirates. In all the above instances, Porto’s opponents could afford to draw or in some cases be beaten.

Not quite as significant as it seems, I'm glad United set that 'record' straight!

PS. Awesome goal!

Guest Man on the Post

Just off the top of my head Darren:-

First English team to win the European Cup

First team to win the Premier League

First team to win 2 Premier League titles

First team to win 3 Premier League titles

First team to win 4 Premier League titles

First team to win 5 Premier League titles

First team to win 6 Premier League titles

First team to win 7 Premier League titles

First team to win 8 Premier League titles

First team to win 9 Premier League titles

First team to win 10 Premier League titles

Well you did ask!

:thumbsup::clapper::yahoo::yahoo: :yahoo:

Guest Man on the Post

Yes, well done Liverpool.

My son is a Liverpool fan, but was too young to remember their last championship win. I would actually like Liverpool to win the championship so that he can experience his team winning it. :thumbsup: I keep reminding him that I was over the moon when United won the league in 1967, but it was to be 26 years before they did it again!