Cornwall Football Forum

COFFIN NAILS FOR SEMI PRO CLUBS

The Governments Inland Revenue department are forcing Scotish Part Time clubs to pay at least the minimum wage for travelling to and from games plus training time, if this became law in other parts of BRITAIN the club most affected would be TRURO CITY but ANY club paying their players would be affected.

Thatcher introduced the poll tax to Scotland, her plan was to extend it throughout Britain, if this happens with football most clubs could fold, gone would be the we will pay you X £'s a game it would be far reaching.

Press the HELP button and get the CLOWNS out of Downing Street.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...v_1/7994140.stm

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

The ruling, will only apply to those on contracts, ie; those who have to declare incomes to HMRC. As for those playing for clubs in Cornwall is concerned, this only applies to a small minority (well just one club actually, hence the forum under which this is posted) and they will almost certainly be paid more that NMW by their club anyway. And yes I would know, I am HMRC !

For those covered by P11D forms, this means that they are self-employed (and they can also have PAYE jobs) and they need not worry as any payments are as per the the terms they signed up for and are tax-deductable for travel and other expenses.

Guest Man on the Post

For those covered by P11D forms, this means that they are self-employed

P11D forms have nothing to do with self-employment!

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

For those covered by P11D forms, this means that they are self-employed

P11D forms have nothing to do with self-employment!

You are quite right of course, I misheard what my colleague from the office told me, P11D relates to additional benefits paid by an employer such as health care, fuel etc.

However, there is nothing to stop any player being self employed and he can then charge the club for his services and declare such income, less tax deductable expenses, online (Self-Assessment).

Never do my tax online, Judge, nor banking! Despite the claims to the contrary, any computer can be hacked into. I always send mine by post (keeping photocopies just in case!).

From what Mountaineer says, though, seems like a batty idea. Considering many footballers play for nothing or even pay to play, until it is actually your only income i.e. what you earn to live on, I can't see why anyone should insist on minimum-wage rates for any footballer. Obviously any "part-time" income is liable to tax, like my exam marking or what I used to be paid by Radio Cornwall, so technically even "boot money" (showing my age again) is taxable. Should those that pay to play junior football pay the club the minimum hourly rate......?

Guest Sport Lover

Should all players that are given money for turning up to play on a Saturday declare that amount to HMRC? What is the definition of income or expenses or gifts?

Guest watcher

Monaco league next year guys, or perhaps a private offshore renumeration trust?

Sound to me like what they need is someone who can create value for their clients by using legal and financial strategies to maximise wealth and the opportunities for its creation. Someone who can enhance client value through the strategic preservation of wealth and the minimisation of commercial risk. Enitrely legally of course.

Where could Truro City get this sort of advice?