Cornwall Football Forum

Financial Issues

I think its time for the CCFA to intervene in the interests of our local clubs and make a wage cap mandatory.

Falmouth have been big enough and honest enough to document their recent decision to stop the funds etc and i'm sure other clubs are under the same pressures.

It will get increasingly more difficult to attract sponsors with the current climate and "spare" cash will be hard to come by for the many volunteers who work endlessly to chip in for the next signing.

Quite why such money is spent on winning a £2.5k prize in the case of the SWPL, i'll never know; but thats a different argument for a different day.

What incentives are in place to reward Wendron for their policies? Likewise what is in place to stop clubs like Falmouth going into free fall? (Only using Falmouth because of recent events, nothing personal!)

The commitees at these clubs, at some stage were only too happy to spend the money and chase the dream, can this change overnight to rebound an offer from a cash happy backer if one were to come forward anytime soon?

Time for the CCFA to say enough is enough and put a cap in place. Clubs not sponsored by individuals or businesses are backed by their own social clubs and the pub trade is struggling at the moment too.

I fear that it will take a large club to go under before anyone takes notice and that will be a sad day.

CCFA, stand up and be counted. Add some stability. Loyalty can begin to grow as a result of such measures.

Those players chasing the money and club jumping; can do so in another county!

Ok then, look at it another way....

What punishment is in place for clubs with financial issues?

Some clubs can go from being a tricky fixture to a walkover, just because of money.

Last week some clubs would have been looking at the Falmouth v Parkway fixture as a potential banana skin for Parkway but then a mass exodus occurs and despite a valiant effort the game is a one way affair.

In hindsight, the CCFA may not have the power to do such a thing; fair enough.

Maybe on the next trip to Dubai, some of their members can discuss what they can do to help sustain our oldest and proudest clubs.

Someone needs to come up with something and it needs to start and be driven from their level. IMO

The problem lies with the minority of clubs.I would say around £1500 a weekend is paid to my 3 local sides in the PEN WEST league???pz ,port and hayle from club and sponsors....amazing and why???If these payments don,t get maintained clubs will lose players(falmouth)and then end up using locals who will remain loyal and produce better team spirit and more local interest which is what clubs should be striving to do anyway.The majority of senior clubs in cornwall are run sensibly and properly but there will always be people

who think throwing money at players is the way forward i,m afraid. :blink:

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

I think ECPL is suggesting that the term wages is incorrect and in fact we should be using 'reasonable expenses' such as petrol costs, washing etc.

Despite petrol coming down and washing powder being reasonable, I doubt it would be more than £25 a week for those who travel say 150 miles a week with a 40c wash.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

None Anita, but as far as the taxman is concerned, it would be deemed a reasonable expense if they did do their own washing and therefore if anyone did declare themselves as self employed, they could claim it back.