Cornwall Football Forum

Darren Anderton

Darren's last game in football takes place today. He has earned 30 caps for his country, with a scoring ratio of 1 in 4(pretty good for a winger) He has played for Pompey, Spurs, Brum, Wolves and the Cherries(Bournemouth) I will be going to Dean Court today to say thank you to a true pro. Good luck in the future Darren! Still good enough to play league 2!

Always an underrated player in my opinion.

Played over 10 years at the top flight, never let England down when he was picked and was 1st choice during Euro 96, which was probably the best England side of the last 20 years.

As mentioned, it was a shame about his injury problems, and I read that the 'Sicknote' nickname really bugged Darren, but over 600 competitive games over a 16/17 year career seems pretty impressive to me.

Well played 'Shaggy' and good luck with everything in the future.

What a finish to a great career... 62 minutes gone in the game against Chester, and it lacked that little spark. Step up Shaggy, To a huge standing applause he started pulling the strings like he always does. He had a few efforts before he popped up 2minutes before the last whistle he will ever hear as a player with a truly thunderous half vooley in to the bottom corner! He runs off about 5yards before being tackled to the floor by the rest of the lads! He didnt look to smart once Scott Guyett got hold of him! Once the final whistle blew the Cherries fans were singing their's only 1 Darren Anderton! He came to each of the stands applauded each section, then gently jogged off down the tunnel! Thank you for the last two years Darren, even though our seasons havent been the best. You lit them up with your magic! Your always welcome to change your mind about your retirement. Im sure Quinn would let you train once a week and play on a Saturday.... Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. :clapper::thumbsup: :clapper:

Darren Anderton: The Strain. Not like other strains. His was a Premiership Strain, different class. Course, Glenn Hoddle would have pointed out that the Strain was God's punishment for wickedness in an earlier life. May he sleep as peacefully as Gomez facing a free kick. God bless. :clapper:

Predictability is such an unattractive personality trait. Why can't you just take your head out of the clouds and put it back where you prefer it to be.... Up your own backside.

Cornishatheart, do you know why he has retired?

After playing on Sat, he's obviously fit and able at present.

I'm surprised by your grace, I would have imagined Bournemouth fans to be teasy with him going in the middle of a season that isnt going too well. My first thoughts were that he should stay and try and keep you up.

Granted though, good player when fit. Fingers crossed for AFC B mate.

I'm sorry, Coopsie, I was being elegiacally empathic for a predictable son of Tottenham. I am sorry that you demean your own service of remembrance by bringing my backside into it. The Strain deserves better than this irreverence. May he rest in peace, as he has rested for most of the last twenty years.

Very Merry Xmas to you, your mouth, your brain, all the other autonomously finctioning little Coopsies, the Master, the Dame and the little boy that cries down the Lane. :Santa:

Soil Sports Ltd- He is fit, and well. He hasnt missed many games in thelast two years for us. He has said that training has become a bit of a strain. And after 18 years as a pro he wants to do something new. We(AFC B) are keeping his registration just incase of injurys/suspension. He said even if we beat Blyth in the replay and Blackburn in the 3rd round he wouldnt consider playing again unless we got Spurs away in the 4th. :D

I personaly think he will play again, well i hope at least! THE best player that has played at Bournemouth! :clapper: We will stay up!!!! It would have been a lot easeir with him! O well! :drink:

Issac - he is a quality player. No need for everybody to labell him 'Sicknote'

Just my little joke for my friend Coopsie. On his day Darren Anderton could indeed be a great player...it's just a shame he left Pompey for an inferior club. I'm Cornish at heart too....compliments to the Dorset-Hampshire coast and that excellent hotel Moonfleet Manor.

Good luck to Bournemouth for the rest of the season. have a good one ! :Santa: