Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay 5 Camelford 0

Newquay leapfrogged their opponents in the League with this emphatic victory. Newquay opened the scoring as early as the 2nd minute when Sean Middleton shot across the goalkeeper. Newquay had greater possession but Camelford looked dangerous on the break. Newquays final ball on occasions let them down in the first period. Scott Palmer had a goal disallowed for offside. With a minute to go before the break a deep cross by the Camelford midfielder was not collected cleanly by Matt Armstrong-Ford in goal for the hosts and upon trying to gather in the ball the Camelford forward went to ground. The assistant flagged for a penalty. I thought it may have been a penalty but supporters have said that the forward merely slipped and as the referee was better placed than his assistant he overruled him. Newquay then went straight up the other end and Middleton fired into the roof of the net with a left foot thunderbolt. Most of the play in the second half happened in the Camelford half and Scott Palmer ran on to a delightful through ball from Paul Hampshire to unleash a terrific finish. Palmer scored his second of the game with a cheeky back heel following a Jake Hartigan corner. The hard working Luke Weldhen then had a goal chalked off again for offside. The visitors misery was complete when they conceeded a fifth by an own goal. The teams meet again in 3 weeks and we wish Camelford all the best for the rest of the season except in that return fixture.

Were the two assistants as per the programme : Paul Buscombe and Roy Buscombe?

If so, I see they are two official assistant referees as per the League's handbook.

Also if so, I'm a little disappointed by the reaction of one of them in offering me the flag, suggesting I take over from him. This came about when in the second-half I commented that the Newquay forward was well offside! :SM_carton_y:

Were the two assistants as per the programme : Paul Buscombe and Roy Buscombe?

If so, I see they are two official assistant referees as per the League's handbook.

Also if so, I'm a little disappointed by the reaction of one of them in offering me the flag, suggesting I take over from him. This came about when in the second-half I commented that the Newquay forward was well offside! :SM_carton_y:

that flag a little bit heavy for you ant it mate :clapper:

Guest Peppermint

I did not realise you were there on Tueday evening Dave - but I assume it was the brother Buscombe on the entrance side of the pitch who flagged for a penalty for Camelford but the referee waved play on and from my position the visitors forward slipped in going for the ball and was not brought down by the keeper.

A case of Chris Stephens, the referee being in a much better position to see the incident.

About the assistant offering you the flag Dave - I think it is much better if officials got on with concentrating on their job and not getting involved with spectators. I know they are ALMOST human and it is sometimes difficult to take some of the abuse hurled at them.

Before any referee gets offended it was a joke!!!!!!