Cornwall Football Forum

Millbrook 2 Foxhole 5

Millbrook 2 Foxhole 5

Saturday 25th October 2008

Although ultimately this was a comfortable enough victory, the sluggish Foxes made hard work of beating mediocre opponents who nevertheless were habitually livelier and quicker to the ball and who, with only 13 minutes remaining, appeared the more likely winners.

Foxhole began brightly and, following some desperate defending by Swiggs and Bonney, Hobbs went close with a drive on 4 minutes. The referee, who was otherwise to enjoy a good game, controversially spotted a deflection no one else did and, from Warne's corner, Capeling's header was adjudged to have crept over the line by the home linesman. Pen-Collins was booked for his vehement protest, but the sense of double injustice appeared to galvanise Millbrook and Errington should have equalised on the quarter hour but he slipped with the goal gaping, before he forced a save from Holland after being released by Cole and then miscued an effort following a bad bobble.

Gradually though, Foxhole regained control without particularly convincing the sparse support, and Friendship headed wide before reacting too slowly to complete a rare flowing move. Rowe, hobbling badly from an early challenge, nodded past the post and Capeling blasted a free kick inches too high, after Casey had received a yellow card for tripping Butler to join Bartlett (a foul on Warne) in the book. Eventually, seconds ahead of the break, Watson's fine run and cross down the left was turned in by Capeling.

The Foxes started the second half with the same tempo they had the first, but somehow spurned four chances within five minutes to seal the points. Bartlett cleared off the line after another mazy dribble by Watson and Pen-Collins dived to his left to palm away Rowe's firm header, before Capeling squandered two opportunities to clinch a hat-trick, firstly by firing against the keeper's legs and then heading Warne's far post corner over the bar.

Millbrook made the visitors pay for their profligacy. On 56, Errington out-muscled Hobbs before setting up Watfa to finish easily, while Ferguson almost levelled with the visiting defence all over the shop. Although Warne only just failed to capitalise on Watson's misdirected effort, it was no surprise when Watfa's pass found the loitering Hoblin to make it all square from close range on 72.

When Rowe finally gave up the ghost and limped off moments later, Foxhole were staring down the barrel and only a fantastic tackle by his replacement May prevented Watfa from tapping home. However, out of nowhere, Butler rounded the dawdling Pen-Collins to restore the lead after 79 minutes before Nicholls sent fellow substitute Bromley clear to find the corner of the net 3 minutes later.

Warne soon added the fifth from the spot after his cross had been handled by Thackeray, who was then cautioned for a poor challenge on Watson. In stoppage time, Bromley and Nicholls each went close to putting further gloss on a flattering scoreline.

Foxhole (4-5-1): Ryan Holland 7; Phil Hobbs 7, Lewis Prince 6, Mark Rowe 7 (sub. Matt May 7), Adam Holland 7; Ross Maynard 5, Kyle Friendship 7 (sub. Adam Bromley 7) , Tom Watson 8, Jason Warne 7, Andrew Butler 7; Steve Capeling 7 (sub. Liam Nicholls 6).

Millbrook (4-4-2): Dan Pen-Collins; Leighton Bartlett, Adam Casey, Shaun Bonney, Ryan Swiggs; Mike Thackeray, Craig Errington (sub. Dan Moore), Will Cole (sub. Ashley Arkin), Ben Ferguson; Hussein Watfa, James Hoblin.

Referee: Mr Andrew Quinn (Plymouth) 9.

Id say that was a fair report , i think the turning point in the 2nd half was when hussain watfa was tackled after rounding the keeper , which then led to a terrible mix up at the back which just deflated the team after working so hard to get back in the game

If he had such a good game , why did he feel the need to text one of players apoligising for 2 major mistakes he made during the game! first being giving a corner when everybody in the ground could see it was a goal kick( which they scored from) 2nd being disallowing a perfectly good goal which was ruled off-side which he has admitted he should have over ruled the linesman !!!!!!!

Guest Postie Pidge

In hindsight you look upon decisions - at least he had the decency to own up to a mistake. Unlike some referees who think they are always right. Nobody is perfect.

If he had such a good game , why did he feel the need to text one of players apoligising for 2 major mistakes he made during the game! first being giving a corner when everybody in the ground could see it was a goal kick( which they scored from) 2nd being disallowing a perfectly good goal which was ruled off-side which he has admitted he should have over ruled the linesman !!!!!!!

Is your goalkeeper still trying to convince everyone that the first goal never crossed the line? even though it was over by a country mile otherwise why would YOUR linesman have given it!! I agree the ref was prob one of the best we have had along with blackshirt and steve rose!tommy watson would have got my vote,think he just shaded it over butler!

He did claim it didnt go over the line yes , i never entered into the debate because i couldnt see from the dug-out , in regards to that i was in a tricky situation , i had my keeper saying it wasnt in and our club linesman doing the honerable thing and giving the goal. but to me it was all irrelivent which is why i didnt get involved , If the ref had seen what everyone else in the ground had seen it would never had happened as soon as the ref gave the corner i predicted to guys on the bench they would score , thats the way things have been going for us latley.

As for the disallowed goal it happened in the first half at 1-0 . james hoblin was slipped through if i recall correctly.

i enjoyed the 2nd half up untill the 80th minute or so... lol ... it was crazy there was only one team that was going to win that game , then a open goal miss at one end , defensive error at the other end in the space of 2 minutes and it was all over , never mind , we plodd on !!!!