Cornwall Football Forum

No more rings on your fingers!!!!!

Can anyone clear this up for me. Last year i was playing in a mining 2 game and the ref told me to take a ring off my finger, i said it will not come off, as it was far too tight and was it ok to tape it up? he said no, if you dont take it off you cant play! so the ring that had been on my finger for 15 years through mining, combo and south weston league games was cut off to my dismay. Now 2 weeks ago a different ref said the same thing,this time it was my wedding ring which also will not come off.luckly he did not make me cut the ring off.

As anyone els come across this mad request??

So all the married men who play football who cant take their wedding rings off have to cut the ring off or finish playing football. Ive just worked out that in 28 years and about 1300 games,saturday and some sunday,ive never seen a incident involving a ring, i can understand if it had a diamond in it!.What about refs? Does this rule include them? After all they to are on the field of play aswell.

Thank you for your reply.

ps looking forward to what everyone els thinks on the subject.

Steve, no it does not apply to referee`s as we are not very likely to injure any other players in challenging for the ball etc, in fact we wear usually a watch on each wrist which would be far more dangerous than a wedding ring. But above I quoted the LOAF, in fact I will probably get shot down for this but I will allow a plain gold wedding ring (if it cannot be removed ) to be taped up.

Guest Fingers7

luckily in a way I have never had a problem with my wedding ring as i have not got a finger to put it on, so there is a silver lining to losing a digit. And I agree with wints i have never seen an incident involving a ring

Steve, no it does not apply to referee`s as we are not very likely to injure any other players in challenging for the ball etc, in fact we wear usually a watch on each wrist which would be far more dangerous than a wedding ring. But above I quoted the LOAF, in fact I will probably get shot down for this but I will allow a plain gold wedding ring (if it cannot be removed ) to be taped up.

Not technically true, i got elbowed by a ref in a game against trispen :wacko: lol

although is was an accident, still put me on the floor, and i got donkey of the week that game cos i got knocked down by a 16 yr old ref!

Pete

If you don`t think flat rings can cause a problem ask Andy Angove to show you his scar where he nearly ripped his finger in two when he caught it in the goalnet trying to make a save .....absolutely horrendous incident to witness .

But he's a keeper and probably more inclined to be reaching into the net than most of the people debating this topic. Common sense has to prevail and to request that any man/woman removes a PLAIN FLAT BAND with such meaning or face missing out on a game of footy is just plain absurd.

Last week I went upto the ref, as i do EVERY week to show him my taped up wedding ring and ask if he minded it being like that. His response.... "that's fine skipper, just make sure the rest of your lads do the same IF IT'S A WEDDING RING and if you're anything like me you wont be able to get it off anyway".. Common sense personified there and it just turns out he was a bloody good referee aswell.

I would say without doubt that atleast 75% officials come into our changing room prior to a game and say "Ok all dangling jewellery to be removed please and studs, sleepers and wedding rings to be taped up please and if they are not taped up you'll be asked to leave the pitch until they are taped up or removed"

So I also think it's fair to say that MOST officials DO tend to use common sense and aren't just little hitlers.