Cornwall Football Forum

Porthleven v Wadebridge

Scrappy first half saw two great saves by the young Port keeper from Jonny May before Port took the lead with a dipping volley from the edge of the box after a cross was half cleared.

Second half was all Wadebridge with May missing an early chance with the goal gaping, then repeating the dose again from a far post header. Payne made a couple more smart saves then Wolstencroft looked to have been pulled back when clean through only for nothing to be given, however a few minutes later he was tripped in the box and this time a pen was awarded.

Nick Dowling sent a perfect kick low to the keepers left to deservedly equalise. There was still time for Wolstencroft to see a brilliant volley skim the bar and Wadebridge were left wondering what might have been if they had put in some of their other chances.

The draw leaves them 6 points behind with 5 games left to play. If Port win their two remaining home games they will have 74 points, if Wadebridge win their 5 remaining games they will achieve 77 points.

Still all to play for!

Remaining fixtures for each :

15/04/2008 Wadebridge Town v Hayle

19/04/2008 Porthleven v Hayle

19/04/2008 St Austell v Wadebridge Town

23/04/2008 Wadebridge Town v Callington Town

26/04/2008 Porthleven v Goonhavern

26/04/2008 Wadebridge Town v Penzance

29/04/2008 Wadebridge Town v Goonhavern

Can't see either of the top two dropping a point!

How we (Wadebridge) didnt go home with all 3 points is beyond me!!! And i know that every one else at the game feels the same!! The Porthleven keeper made three great saves and we missed an open goal, but it was a hard faught game by both sides who didnt let up and im sure the crowd enjoyed watching as much as i enjoyed playing!! As you can see from Dave Deacon's remaing fixture list and comment he cant see neither of the top two dropping a point. We are ready and will do everything we can to win our remaing games!!!

Simple thing is if both us and Porthleven win all remaing games Wadebridge will be crowned champions!!!!!

UP THE BRIDGERS!! COME ON BOYS WE ARE NEARLY THERE!!!!!

Remaining fixtures for each :

15/04/2008 Wadebridge Town v Hayle

19/04/2008 Porthleven v Hayle

19/04/2008 St Austell v Wadebridge Town

23/04/2008 Wadebridge Town v Callington Town

26/04/2008 Porthleven v Goonhavern

26/04/2008 Wadebridge Town v Penzance

29/04/2008 Wadebridge Town v Goonhavern

Can't see either of the top two dropping a point!

I wouldn't rule out Hayle picking up a point or two vs Port or Wadebridge.

With the wind in the right direction ;)

I should start taking part in a prediction league next season :D

Seagull,

All I could think about form half time onwards was your comment. You should definitely get involved in the prediction league mate!

I will say, I can't see Port dropping any points at home against Hayle though, not with their massive pitch.

Pressure on us now, 4 wins from 4 games will win it for us!

Up the Bridgers!

Delighted, thanks Rob, but more happy to have finally scored our third goal v Snozzle tho.

We missed 8 clear cut chances in the second half.

Although we've not been as ruthless in front of goal like Porthleven have at times this season, we will win the league if we get 6 more points from 3 home games and the best team in the league is the team with the most points.

Up the Bridgers!

Guest Peppermint

The match at St Austell was a case of lots of missed chances in the second half by the Bridgers. However they scored the winner in the end and with Porthleven losing to Hayle it is very much in Wadebridge Town's hands. Two wins against Goonhavern, Callington or Penzance will deservedly give them the title.

I am sure most football followers will be happy if Wadebridge go up as Champions because they at least want to be promoted!

Guest Peppermint

A little unfair on Wadebridge Town who are a well run club so why decry them going up as Champions. I do not believe for one moment that the Bridgers pay excessive amounts for players.

There ground hosted the Easter Monday Finals and it was well done and I am sure everyone who attended would agree.

I am guessing but perhaps Arlen is connected with Porthleven - who have had a great season and I am not knocking them for being prudent.

Sorry peppermint, not connected with either of these club sactually, but it isn't fair to criticise Porthleven without knowing their circumstances anymore than congratulating Wadebridge for being well run etc. without inside knowledge of theirs.

By the way well done to Wadebridge and good luck to them in SW Premier Division they have had a good season and Stuart's done a great job there.

wadebridge has a quality set up for which i enjoyed on easter monday.

some of my good friends play 1st team there and are full of praise for the talents of the management.

it would be nice for the team that wins the league to actually take promotion rather than just stay a big fish in a small pond