Cornwall Football Forum

Fully Funded Referee Courses

4 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

What’s the likely income (rough figure would suffice) for a qualified referee over a standard season (whatever ever a standard season is ie total number of games) ? It would be interesting to know, as he could be better than taking up a part-time job with unsociable hours and receiving grief from customers.

For a Ref starting out doing Div 4 in St Pirans they get £30 a game, so if they did 30 games (not sure on the actual average) thats £900. Add in the time required and deduct costs, its not likely to be better than a part time job. But it is a good way to keep fit, give something back to the game and earn a few beer credits.

9 minutes ago, TomTom said:

For a Ref starting out doing Div 4 in St Pirans they get £30 a game, so if they did 30 games (not sure on the actual average) thats £900. Add in the time required and deduct costs, its not likely to be better than a part time job. But it is a good way to keep fit, give something back to the game and earn a few beer credits.

Many thanks. It would be interesting to know what local referees get paid from Trelawny to say Toolstation Level, and the average number of games officiate. I think it would be beneficial for the Cornwall FA to compare refereeing to a part-time job, identifying the benefits, it’s surely got to be better than some part-time jobs. 

2 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Many thanks. It would be interesting to know what local referees get paid from Trelawny to say Toolstation Level, and the average number of games officiate. I think it would be beneficial for the Cornwall FA to compare refereeing to a part-time job, identifying the benefits, it’s surely got to be better than some part-time jobs. 

When you take out the time and costs its definitely not better than a part time job. 

As you progress the fee is increased but that's proportionate the the travel time, added costs and additional commitment required to maintain a higher level. 

22 hours ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

From Cornwall FA Facebook. Sure we'll have lots of contributors on here eager to sign up...

We are delighted to be able to offer two fully-funded referee courses in October.

Places are limited to just 10 per course so please fill out an expression of interest form should you wish to attend 👇
bit.ly/RefCourse-EOI

Screenshot_20230831-091941.thumb.png.8d384662334803ea95717b1fbee1ecf5.png

You say you hope to have a few from this forum sign up in a sly dig. However a paying spectator does have a right to comment on a refs performance. 
That said, a lot of the comments are unjust. A ref gets one look at an incident and calls it as that saw it. I’m confident no one on this forum would do better. I reffed for a couple of season in Edinburgh back in the day. I was starting out so did the 13’s up to 16’s age group and found it challenging. I did one Sunday League (pub league) and never did another. I couldn’t handle the abuse 😂. I think I did shock one or two players with my reactions to their shouts of complaint at my decision making. So I vowed never to do another man’s game for my own safety 😳

Its so easy to talk about what a ref should have done etc, however when you try and do it yourself, it’s really difficult. 

17 hours ago, TomTom said:

22 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

What’s the likely income (rough figure would suffice) for a qualified referee over a standard season (whatever ever a standard season is ie total number of games) ? It would be interesting to know, as he could be better than taking up a part-time job with unsociable hours and receiving grief from customers.

Based on those figures, it more like child's pocket money or pure 'beer tokens' then a part time job (once you factor in kit, travel etc.)

I'm sure there are some that do it for the 'money' but most for the 'love of the game'

JW