Cornwall Football Forum

RESULT - FRIDAY 11 August 2023

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULT - FRIDAY 11 August 2023

callington 2 wadebridge 4     att 162 

a very entertaining game were both teams gave their all, a draw  maybe would of been a bit more of a  fair result, callington pushed  for a winner and got caught on the break with two well taken goals from wadebridge , i was very impressed with the wadebridge number 8,  the last 10 mins was end  to end ,  callington wasted a handfull of free kicks ,both these teams will win more than  they lose. callington are a massive improvement on the last two seasons,the referee was very good ,

Yep tamar I think all the 162 will agree that it was a cracking, flowing, end to end game tonight, played almost at times like a cup tie with all the players giving 100%.

1-1 at the half time break after an early goal from each side - Kieran Prescott after 7 minutes, levelled in the 13th minute by Jaffa Rowe with what proved to be his first of four goals on the evening.

Possibly the move of the match brought the visitors their second with Rowe finishing off a quick passing attack. However from all but the restart Callington cancelled out the Bridgers advantage with Bayley Williams getting the last touch to level the score again. Two goals within the opening 8 minutes of the second half, it was a surprise that the next goal didn’t come until two minutes before the 90! Rowe this time heading home a left wing cross from Tom Harris who did so well to avoid at least three attempts for his run to be stopped!

Added on time allowed the Bridgers to get another with Rowe taking the ball over from Kyle Flew and then taking his time to side foot the ball home following a weaving run into eventually the 6 yard box.

The win means Wadebridge take over from their opponents at the top of the table, keeping their 100% record after the opening three games. They’ll be relieved, while Callington’s new look side should be disappointed not to have got something out of this one!

Cally Town 2 Bridgers 4

My first SWPL game of the season and what a belter! 

I love Friday night games under the lights. Look at the increased gates. Now I get bar takings can be hit, but with  the bar not being  that well utilised at Lanson I don’t get why the FA Vase fixture v Cally isn’t a derby played on the Friday evening. 

I thought the score was a little unjust. Cally deserved a point. However, there was such promise in their performance. Great to see lots of young, local, athletic and committed players in a Cally shirt rather than having an entire team of Plymouth boys who were mates of the manager approach.

TBF The Bridgers are  better than most sides in the SWPL West and Rowe one of the best scorers in the West division along with the likes of DJ at Liskeard. He was the difference. Finishing was different class. Third and decisive goal a thing of beauty. Got to say, that purple away shirt is first rate too!

I think I could not have picked a better time to have moved house and have Cally as my nearest club. It’s the first time I’ve been excited about going to Marshfield.

One small gripe - please sort out the broken / missing seats in the stand. 

51 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Cally Town 2 Bridgers 4

My first SWPL game of the season and what a belter! 

I love Friday night games under the lights. Look at the increased gates. Now I get bar takings can be hit, but with  the bar not being  that well utilised at Lanson I don’t get why the FA Vase fixture v Cally isn’t a derby played on the Friday evening. 

I thought the score was a little unjust. Cally deserved a point. However, there was such promise in their performance. Great to see lots of young, local, athletic and committed players in a Cally shirt rather than having an entire team of Plymouth boys who were mates of the manager approach.

TBF The Bridgers are  better than most sides in the SWPL West and Rowe one of the best scorers in the West division along with the likes of DJ at Liskeard. He was the difference. Finishing was different class. Third and decisive goal a thing of beauty. Got to say, that purple away shirt is first rate too!

I think I could not have picked a better time to have moved house and have Cally as my nearest club. It’s the first time I’ve been excited about going to Marshfield.

One small gripe - please sort out the broken / missing seats in the stand. 

it was mentioned last night that there has been  vandalism over the summer at marsh park, and lot of repairs have had to be done ,guess it will take bit of time, perhaps getting local youth involved with the club  will help or cctv maybe, seems to happen all around Cornwall