WEST

Illogan RBL                             3-1    St Agnes

Mullion Reserves                     1-3    Helston Athletic Reserves

Perranwell                               1-2    Porthleven

Redruth United                        0-3    Truro City Reserves

St Day                                     P-P    Mousehole Development

Wendron United Reserves      3-0    Falmouth Town Reserves

Illogan 3 St Agnes 1

The rain tipped down as I arrived and I half expected the game to be called off there and then, but actually Illogan's pitch looked great. 

Three solid points for Illogan though perhaps looking at the league table Illogan might have hoped for an easier ride. It was 1 - 0 on 7, some good interpassing along the right channel leading to a clear chance for the home side. 30 mins later it was 2 - 0, my memory of how it came about rather cloudy with no note made by me at the time. The half-time hot choc was welcome but for the second time I discovered Illogan subs paying for their own tea which I thought odd. As a coach I never left subs out of the dressing room at half-time anyway, believing that they needed to be part of what was said at the time.

On 64 St Agnes pulled one back, a fine shot from the left which beat Wyatt just inside the near post. For a while it was nip-and-tuck, both sides having chances which means the Aggies might have equalised - or gone further behind. The game was sewn up in the 81st after a St Agnes corner was headed clear leading to a lightning breakaway down Illogan's right wing: a swift centre into the box was knocked in by an Illogan forward who had sprinted upfield with the winger. Neat goal, relief for Illogan, disappointment for St Agnes.

My concentration was somewhat broken by the unaccompanied children who seemed to regard the stand and its surroundings as a playground. After the fifth time these children pushed past me to get into or out of the back-row seats I did wonder whose children they were and why they were being allowed to run amok. They took to running screaming to and fro across the front of the stand and luckily none of them were struck by the ball or any players sliding into tackles which took them off the pitch. I admit to being annoyed by their behaviour and concerned for their welfare, but then I'm just a grumpy old retired teacher!

Referee barely noticeable, meaning he did a good job.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - SATURDAY, 7TH JANUARY, 2023