Cornwall Football Forum

Taken from the Cornishman 20th March

"The Cornwall Junior Cup final (2.15) will be the latest stop on the road to the top for Portreath AFC - a team which was only formed 10 years ago.

The Mining League Division 1 side will take on Bodmin Trophies Duchy League premier division St Dominick on an historic day for the north coast club.

It will be their first ever final appearance and it could be their last for at least some time as next season they hope to be playing in the Jolly's Combination League.

Their application has been accepted, but they need to finish in the top three and boasting an unbeaten league record this season that seems little more than a formality."

As usual the local press is behind with the news but confirms what we already know.

There is more news but I can't and won't say yet until I'm given the nod.

Guest WINNO

PORTREATH HAVING THEIR APPLICATION ACCEPTED MEANS NOTHING AT ALL IT WILL STILL GOTO A MEETING. AS I BELIVE HELSTON HAVE HAD THEIR APPLICATION ACCEPTED TO JOIN THE SWPL W BUT WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. THIS IS CORNWALL AND I WOULDNT BELIVE ANYTHING UNTIL ITS OFFICIAL.....

As Portreath are the only team to apply for promotion, if their facilities are up to standard, all they have to do is finish in a top three position and promotion for them would be automatic: The official announcement would be made at the Combo AGM but there would be no voting on it!