Cornwall Football Forum

2 Managers gone in a week !

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Having read that Leigh Cooper is to leave Vospers Oak Villa in his programme notes, it was a bit of a shock to get a call whilst driving home from the match to hear that Andy Dingle has stepped down as Newquay boss. I am told pressure of work has forced Andy to leave, although none of this has yet been confirmed by the club itself. On behalf of all Peppermints fans, I would like to thank Andy for his efforts in bringing some good youngsters into the SWPL side, the result of which can be seen with 5/6 players in the County Youth side.

It has not been an easy few months, with players being out injured long term and various other absences, just a couple of subs today including Andy Dingle at the ripe old age of, well more than me (I think). Newquay dominated the majority of the match today with Adam Weller shoring up the defence, the Peppermints looked good until a loose pass out from defence by Perry Harvey set up VOV for their first goal after 11mins. Newquay always looked dangerous going forward with Paddy Rushden and Shaun Middleton making some surging runs through the middle. Luke Rigby and Sam Hunter both had faultless games and created space down either flank, Peiter Battenburg and the non stop Liam Dingle worked thier socks off but the clear cut chances were short in coming. The VOV defence held out til half time and were assisted by some stupendious decisions from the 'home' linesman.

The home defence again took a battering as Newquay poured forward in the second half but the home side must give huge praise to the Ref who was without doubt their man of the match. Two clear penalties not given infuriated the travelling fans and visitors bench, it transpired that the ref, who was un-named in the programme, lives just 200 yards from the ground and may well be a member of The Weston Mill Social Club. Our own lino, CoCo the Clown (Andy) also failed to spot two handball offences and he was warned that it was a long walk home from Plymouth. Hestation in defence cost the Peppermints as VOV went 2-0 up with 65mins on the clock. A red & white tide surged forward but were held back by some stout defending.

Fans summed the match up as a disapointing scoreline but you really could not fault any player for the effort put in. A rest for the senior players next Saturday and the young ones take on Wiltshire at Launceston. Our next match is away to Foxhole in the Senior Cup 2nd Round Sat 1st Dec 2.00pm K.O.

Guest Peppermint

I wish Andy Dingle all the best and as the Judge says he has brought in a number of good young players who will only get better. I hope Liam Dingle stays because he is a really asset to the team.

Who will take charge now?

We all know Newquay and Gary Davis have history but surely even 'ol ginge would have been better than Mr Round The Corner. Liam is the son of Andy and we would love him to stay at Mount Wise.

As far as the new boss goes, will the club ask Jim Hilton to be No.1, will Hodgy get a sniff, will the club go cap in hand to Les Gilbert or will someone else emerge from the wilderness. Lets hope that those in power remember last summer, when two top players wanted the role of joint managers and were given short shrift by their man.

You can be sure that some will be delighted and some pi55ed off by whoever gets the job, some wags in the club on saturday night even mentioned my name as a possibility, can't see that, can you ?

Guest Peppermint

You were quoted at 100 -1 outsider Judge and Barry Bennetts' dog was quoted at 10 -1 so I think that sums that one up!!!!

It will be interesting to see who is the new manager - I would love to see Les Gilbert back but I don't think that will happen.

Maybe Jim Hilton and John Hodge will do the job between them.

Guest Peppermint

Good news for all Peppermint fans. I understand from a reliable source that Andy Dingle is to stay as the Newquay Manager.

This is great for the Club and he has brought in a number of talented young players who will get better and five of the young players are part of the County Youth Squad. I am sure the team will start climbing the table if only a full squad of players are available for matches.

On a personal note, when I am reporting on a Newquay match, Andy is always willing to talk about the game whether his team has won or lost.

Yes, good news indeed. The text telling me of Andys change of heart cheered me up no end after a long day at work.

To be fair Peppermint, I couldn't even manage Newquay on the Playstation and my subutteo team walked out on me ! Still, at least I was quoted as only 100/1, McLaren was even longer odds than me.

Guest Peppermint

Judge - talking about Barry's dog my Springer Spaniel had already written his application but has had to tear it up!!!

Let's just hope that the Peppermints can have a few weeks when the manager will have a full squad to select from. That has certainly not happened this season.