Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town Goalkeeper?

Guest john

BETTER FALMOUTH GOALKEEPER PHILP OR TAYLOR  

26 members have voted

1. 1. WHO WAS THE BETTER GOALKEEPER FOR FALMOUTH TOWN?

• WHO WAS THE BETTER GOALKEEPER FOR FALMOUTH?
    • DAVE PHILP
    • STEVE "SID" TAYLOR
    • JOHN DENT
    • JOE TICKLE

Bryan Helley hands down

Have to agree "Postie"-I have seen all the Town keepers for last 40 years and Bryan Helley from Brixham United was the tops.

Never did find out where life took him after leaving Falmouth in the early 80's.

Bryan, is the most"capped" Falmouth keeper with 318 appearances from 7 seasons 1974-81.

thanks for information mike and pidge. Can you send me a list of the best midfield players before the 80s i may get a poll going for that. my knowledge is only 90s and would include the street brothers, mark rowe e.t.c

Guest Postie Pidge

Bryan Helley joined Barnstaple after leaving Town. Was he really that good or was it the defence in front of him? Irrespective, he was probably the bravest goalkeeper Town ever had.

Brian Helley was really that good and he did have a great defence infront of him. It is hard for a keeper to spring into action when the defenders are doing their job so well, but Brian was always there to take care of things should the need arise. If he had been a bit taller then he would most certainly have played in a much higher league. Probably Town's best ever keeper.

"Pidge" Have I caught you out for a change?

Philpy made his debut (on loan from ?........) in 1979 in a Western League game against AFC Bournemouth reserves.

I think it was 0-2 with Joe Scott scoring for Bournemouth

Then played full time 1990-96.

But in 2003 he played the first 11 games before Duncan Ayres took over for the rest of the season

Guest Postie Pidge

I forgot his third spell but he was with Newquay, Saltash and Wadebridge before returning to Bickland. Then Porthleven, St Blazey and Bodmin before coming back.