Cornwall Football Forum

Ahead of last night's game

I think we need to be careful when making some statements, undoubtedly it was the biggest league game in Cornish football history but to play on the New National stage with the whole world watching as Truro City did in 2007 was huge arguably the biggest in terms of interest, a one off unlikely to be repeated in Cornish history, but how huge were Falmouth's FA Cup exploits way back to reach the 2nd round proper.

For merit I would say Truro City for League acclaim but the game for me lacked excitement, 

For FA Cup achievement I go for Falmouth Town, their record is there for all to see and to be beaten but when or will it.

However the biggest game will always be that 2007 Wembley appearance, the whole of Cornwall came alive.

All said and done Truro City have just completed the most successful league season in Cornish football history.

Like all clubs Truro City are looking to improve attendances unfortunately when one club improves another suffers so anyone reading the footballing pages may get offended by others enthusiasm, wouldn't it be nice if there were enough fans about to support those clubs who through no fault of their own may suffer because of the support for anothers success.

I was at Wednesdays game I left home at 0745 am Wednesday morning and arrived back at 0735 am on Thursday so had less than 8 hours in Cornwall, no time for visiting the bus times didn't allow it, I was willing to pay to use the park and ride bus that was ideal but was refused because I arrived by train so didn't have a car.

I arrived at the ground, spoke to Mr Masters, no mention of my forum bans, I thought it the wrong night to raise the subject, being an evening game many would have relished a snack meal, me a pasty or two, Oh Dear, NO PASTIES but "This is Cornwall" you have to have pasties, a cold burger on the nine and a half hour train, train, train, train, bus journeys home wouldn't be the same.

I don't think home advantage favoured our style of play Maidstone as a whole appeared bigger and more physical than our players, the pitch looked hard, a good downpour would have favoured us the bounce of the ball caught us out a few times when in a good scoring position, one a goal all over bounced over the crossbar, a strange mention considering this seasons rain but I think the Maidstone surface may be advantageous for our on the ground passing game, I think their big men will find that hard to play against. 

We didn't have a strong referee and hopefully we will get one to put a halt to the blatant holding tactics employed by the Maidstone number 5 and the TV style feigning of injury by many others, keep the ball out of the air and their goalkeeper is lost, I think the tie will go into extra time, penalties ??? We have Martin Rice !!! Promotion is still ON the menu.

When Sunday comes there will be a few more train trips and a couple driving journeys to attend  the second part of the tie.

Second half on Wednesday we were much better (fitter) than Maidstone, it's all there to play for. Come on City.