Cornwall Football Forum

Exeter Keeper Steve Nute returns to Enys Parc, St Agnes 35 years on.....

Exeter Keeper Steve Nute returns to Enys Parc, St Agnes 35 years on.....

Photographed are Steve Nute who played in goal for Exeter City in 1980 at the opening fixture of Enys Parc, St Agnes with Martyn Kimmins who featured in goal for St Agnes in the same match.
The result of the fixture whilst Martyn was in goal was 2-1 to Exeter - the final result 7-1 after Martyn's substitute Trevor Harris replaced him 20 minutes before the end.
The photo the 2 keepers are holding marks the occasion!
Steve Nute is now refereeing at Peninsula League level whilst Martyn is in his 17th year as manager of St Agnes AFC 1st team.                                             

A little bit of history revisiting itself with Steve receiving a video of the match taken by Martyn's dad George Kimmins!

Just like to add, two fantastic keepers in that photo!!! Was lucky enough to play with Kimmo and not so lucky to play against him but I've seen him make saves that don't belong in cornish football!! Great keeper and bloke. Played a few county games with Nutey in the early nineties, went about the job quietly and never seemed to make a mistake! He made the best save off me of any keeper in my whole career. Midweek game at Pennygillam, Launceston v Falmouth, top two clash, we needed a win up there with only a few games left and 2 points for a win back then! 0-0, 87th minute, I hit a dipping volley across Nutey about 25 yards out, one of those you know is in as soon as you hit it, as I turned away with my finger in the air, Nutey somehow arched his back with spring heels, dived backwards and tipped the ball onto the underside of the bar and out! I felt abit stupid with this limp finger and open mouth and Launceston went on to win the league that season!! Never gonna forget that save. :-(  great to see Steve reffing and giving something back to the game and Kimmo still doing a great job with the Saints building good teams year in, year out. Two proper keepers there!!  :-)