Cornwall Football Forum

Vague Laws Of The Game....

After watching a fair bit of football both locally and televised over the festive period I couldn't help but notice a few of the old classic shouts for fouls and appealing for everything under the sun! But....are footballers just not up to date with the LOTG or are they just not being adhered too? Have you seen any recently which you are unsure of? Here's a few to get started.....

The 6 second rule, still in or out?

A free kick outside the box to the attacking team, yet the referee places the ball ON the 18 yard box line for the kick to be taken, correct or not?

A Pen is taken, hits the post and is scored by A- the Pen taker? And B- another attacking player? Both ok or not?

A player scores directly from a drop ball, decision?

What's everyone's thoughts on the latest fiasco of defending corners by holding onto shirts/wrestling!

1. 6 second rule still in, but rarely enforced unless a ridiculous amount of time is taken. Just comes down to common sense refereeing, and most will use the extra time to get into position for the kick out.

2. A foul on the 18 yard line is a penalty, incorrect in law from referee. Should have been placed outside.

3. a) Indirect free kick to defence, player has touched the ball a second time before another player has had a touch.

b ) Goal awarded

4. Goal kick, cannot score from a drop ball

5. Almost impossible for the referee to see everything, but players will do it at they're own risk. If it's seen it will be given (in most cases)

Isn't it time that the referees actually did their job regarding shirt pulling/holding. The referee sees something he is not happy with before the free kick/corner is taken. He then issues a ridiculous lecture so wasting time. The free kick/corner is then taken, exactly the same thing happens and the referee chooses to ignore it or it is the attacker who is punished. I have been saying it for many years and I will repeat it. Either Ignore the holding and shirt pulling until the kick is taken and then decide who is at fault and award the free kick/penalty. Or award an offence before the kick is taken. What I don't understand is that 99% of all offences are carried out by attackers. OH REALLY. referees make it hard work on themselves. What is the law regarding fouls which take place before the ball is in play.? and why is it the attackers who almost always at fault

Watching an old clip on youtube of the infamous Leeds vs West Brom from 1971 with that offside goal, the referee gave a free kick inside the penalty area for a push on Jack Charlton. I presume now it would be a penalty. Are indirect free kicks still given in the area and if so what for?

Watching an old clip on youtube of the infamous Leeds vs West Brom from 1971 with that offside goal, the referee gave a free kick inside the penalty area for a push on Jack Charlton. I presume now it would be a penalty. Are indirect free kicks still given in the area and if so what for?

An indirect free kick is awarded when a goalkeeper handles a back pass.

The following would be an indirect free-kick inside the box if they happened there, they are however quite rare:

• Impedes the progression of an opponent (obstruction)

• Plays in a dangerous manner

• Prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands

Or when a keeper, inside their own penalty area:

• Holds on to the ball for more than six seconds

• Handles a back pass

• Handles the ball after receiving it from a team-mate direct from a throw-in

• Touches the ball again with their hands, before it is touched by another player, after releasing it from their possession

Heres a good example of a situation:

Strangely enough, one was awarded in last years Junior Cup final by Andy McKnight for Dangerous Play. It did confuse a few people at first.

Don't see many of these being given...but for all the wresting in the area rather than giving a Pen when it is the defender at fault why not give an indirect free kick....? This is a LOTG.......

*impedes the progress of an opponent

If the balls mid air a Pen would be harsh but an in direct free kick would be suffice?

An indirect free kick is awarded when a goalkeeper handles a back pass.

I can be so dim at times!!

1. 6 second rule still in, but rarely enforced unless a ridiculous amount of time is taken. Just comes down to common sense refereeing, and most will use the extra time to get into position for the kick out.

2. A foul on the 18 yard line is a penalty, incorrect in law from referee. Should have been placed outside.

3. a) Indirect free kick to defence, player has touched the ball a second time before another player has had a touch.

b ) Goal awarded

4. Goal kick, cannot score from a drop ball

5. Almost impossible for the referee to see everything, but players will do it at they're own risk. If it's seen it will be given (in most cases)

Just as an addition if the ball enters the goal from a drop ball where it is the players own goal it is a corner.