Cornwall Football Forum

Helston Athletic 3rds

I'm glad to hear that it is all on one site, I know that was Helston's long term plan a few years ago. It was only (about) 20 years ago that Helston offered their ground for a supermarket chain in return for a bigger site and one which could accommodate two pitches. The future certainly is bright!

Helston the next Wendron - all facilities on the same site. Other teams I'd imagine would be envious. Looking at Troon and the fields behind, if they could obtain the fields around they too could be in a prime position. But top marks to Helston :thumbsup:

Village clubs and small town clubs like Helston have big advantages when it comes to acquiring cheapish land (Helston 3rd pitch is council ?) other larger town and city clubs have to move for the land, and its dearer near to the larger towns. Eventually it will catch up these smaller places, and then the chance to expand relatively cheaply will be gone.

Best of luck if they try, but don't wait would be my advice.

Helston Athletic Football Club owns it main pitch and clubhouse whilst having 995 years remaining on the lease that accommodates both 3rd and youth teams pitches.

In support of improving its facilities the club has secured the necessary planning permission for both floodlighting and a 100 seater grandstand and is currently working hard to raise the funds to complete the project in full, hopefully by 30th September 2015. All donations welcome :-)

Village clubs and small town clubs like Helston have big advantages when it comes to acquiring cheapish land (Helston 3rd pitch is council ?) other larger town and city clubs have to move for the land, and its dearer near to the larger towns. Eventually it will catch up these smaller places, and then the chance to expand relatively cheaply will be gone.

Best of luck if they try, but don't wait would be my advice.

No not council...land was given to the club to set up the youth pitches

You can use your own labour costs to offset the cost of floodlighting, and use it to attract match funding.

That's how it was, hope that helps, best of luck from me.

Floodlighting sets off any ground, but can be costly in running them, and lost revenue compared to Saturdays. It does however give you the chance to get fixtures in ahead of the bad weather.

Helston the next Wendron - all facilities on the same site. Other teams I'd imagine would be envious. Looking at Troon and the fields behind, if they could obtain the fields around they too could be in a prime position. But top marks to Helston :thumbsup:

Malcolm faull of troon re-mortgaged his house to buy the land nxt to troon but the club refused to buy it bk over a period of time.

• 1 month later...

I was passing so I had a look in at Kellaway Parc (is it Parc or Park?) and I was very impressed. I had an expectation of what it would be like but it was better than that. Two presumably full size pitches and with the houses beyond it's a great set up. Which pitch is used mainly? I would imagine it's the one closest. If the club could enclose the ground a bit it would be perfect! :thumbsup:

I was passing so I had a look in at Kellaway Parc (is it Parc or Park?) and I was very impressed. I had an expectation of what it would be like but it was better than that. Two presumably full size pitches and with the houses beyond it's a great set up. Which pitch is used mainly? I would imagine it's the one closest. If the club could enclose the ground a bit it would be perfect! :thumbsup:

The pitch by clubhouse is the main pitch used by the first and second team and the third team occassionly get to use it if lucky..The back pitch is the 3rd team pitch and youth team pitch. Plans are in place to enclose the ground and to erect floodlights and a seated stand...dependent on the first team gaining promotion

Have played on the main pitch a few times in my day, the slope looked bigger than I remember but that could just be my ageing years. If the ground could be enclosed with fencing then it would look better and a seated stand and floodlights would definitely raise it's profile. I notice the dug outs have been moved to the bottom side, is this so the stand could go at the top? Are the two back pitches full size?