Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League results Wed.7/5/14

Trelawny 2

Frogpool 3 (1) Storm 4 (2)

David Mitchell bagged a brace in each half to secure the points against a tough Frogpool side. Storm went 2-0 up through the winger and held firm for the most part against a barrage of Frogpool corners. Inevitably though, Frogpool pulled one back before the break as a corner from the right was headed home. Storm could have added a third when Kellow was unlucky to head against the post following a Fulcher cross from the right.

An open second half saw chances go begging at both ends before Mitchell hit his third. Shortly after, Frogpool got their second as their striker lobbed an advancing Craig Allen in goal. As the minutes ran down, Frogpool pushed more and more in search of the equaliser, with Allen pulling off a fine save to push a goal-bound effort out for a corner. A corner late on saw the whole of the Frogpool team in the Storm half, the ball was cleared to Kellow who had taken up a position on the left wing. He drove forward and committed defenders before slotting a pass through for Mitchell to place a finish into the empty net from the edge of the box. The scoring wasn't done as Frogpool managed to grab their third but some battered and bruised Storm players dug deep and held on for the remaining few minutes.

Barker Bowl Cup Final

Ludgvan 4 - 2 Mabe

A good advert for Division 5 football played at Oxland Park tonight which saw Ludgvan come away with the trophy.

This was a very competitive match between two very good sides, both of which contain several players capable of playing at a much higher level.

The game started with Ludgvan attacking the clubhouse end with a strong wind behind them which caused the Mabe defenders a few problems.

It was nip and tuck for the first 15 minutes or so whilst the teams got used to a bobbly pitch and a swirling wind. Some good work from Andy Shorten down the left hand side resulted in a blocked shot, the ball deflected off the defenders foot and dropped into the penalty area for Andy Weir to score with an overhead kick for Ludgvan to lead 1-0.

Ludgvan continued to press & had several chances however the Mabe keeper pulled off some good saves to keep the score at 1-0. Ludgvan then went 2-0 up after about 35mins. Some strong tackling in midfield saw Adam Freethy breaking away with the ball, he then unleashed a sweet strike from around 25 yards out which nestled in the top corner.

Mabe had their chances in the first half and battled well in midfield, however the half time whistle went with the score still 2-0

Mabe had their tails up for the second half and attacked well with the wind behind them.

After about 60mins the Ludgvan left back had a rush of blood and jumped into a tackle which had all the lads on the touchline cringing. This sparked a few angry scenes & the Ludgvan player was sent off. Ludgvan then had to play the last half an hour with only ten men.

I can't recall if Mabe scored before or after the sending off however it looked like a goal was coming & they pulled one back to make it 2-1.

The Ludgvan players defended well but were finding it difficult to get out of their own half. From a Ludgvan free kick, the ball was lost & Mabe attacked again. Some panciky defending meant that the ball wasn't cleared & the Mabe striker finished calmly to make it 2-2 with about 15 mins to play. (Sorry, I don't know the names of the Mabe scorers)

Within 5 minutes the momentum changed again, the ball was played up to Andy Weir in the old "inside right" channel, he took a touch and bent a left footed shot inside the far post for Ludgvan to lead 3-2.

Both teams were very committed with everyone battling for every ball at this point. With about 5 minutes to go the Ludgvan winger, Ben Mills sprinted clear up the right hand side and into the penalty area. He tangled with the defender & the keeper and a penalty was given. (Not quite sure what happened as I couldn't see).

Charlie Penney then stepped forward to take the penalty. We watched with much anticipation only to see him scuff his shot and the ball bobbled towards the goal. Fortunately the keeper had dived the wrong way & the ball crossed the line to make it 4-2.

A good effort from both teams with some very competitve performances.

Final score - Ludgvan 4 -2 Mabe

Barker Bowl Cup Final

Ludgvan 4 - 2 Mabe

A good advert for Division 5 football played at Oxland Park tonight which saw Ludgvan come away with the trophy.

This was a very competitive match between two very good sides, both of which contain several players capable of playing at a much higher level.

The game started with Ludgvan attacking the clubhouse end with a strong wind behind them which caused the Mabe defenders a few problems.

It was nip and tuck for the first 15 minutes or so whilst the teams got used to a bobbly pitch and a swirling wind. Some good work from Andy Shorten down the left hand side resulted in a blocked shot, the ball deflected off the defenders foot and dropped into the penalty area for Andy Weir to score with an overhead kick for Ludgvan to lead 1-0.

Ludgvan continued to press & had several chances however the Mabe keeper pulled off some good saves to keep the score at 1-0. Ludgvan then went 2-0 up after about 35mins. Some strong tackling in midfield saw Adam Freethy breaking away with the ball, he then unleashed a sweet strike from around 25 yards out which nestled in the top corner.

Mabe had their chances in the first half and battled well in midfield, however the half time whistle went with the score still 2-0

Mabe had their tails up for the second half and attacked well with the wind behind them.

After about 60mins the Ludgvan left back had a rush of blood and jumped into a tackle which had all the lads on the touchline cringing. This sparked a few angry scenes & the Ludgvan player was sent off. Ludgvan then had to play the last half an hour with only ten men.

I can't recall if Mabe scored before or after the sending off however it looked like a goal was coming & they pulled one back to make it 2-1.

The Ludgvan players defended well but were finding it difficult to get out of their own half. From a Ludgvan free kick, the ball was lost & Mabe attacked again. Some panciky defending meant that the ball wasn't cleared & the Mabe striker finished calmly to make it 2-2 with about 15 mins to play. (Sorry, I don't know the names of the Mabe scorers)

Within 5 minutes the momentum changed again, the ball was played up to Andy Weir in the old "inside right" channel, he took a touch and bent a left footed shot inside the far post for Ludgvan to lead 3-2.

Both teams were very committed with everyone battling for every ball at this point. With about 5 minutes to go the Ludgvan winger, Ben Mills sprinted clear up the right hand side and into the penalty area. He tangled with the defender & the keeper and a penalty was given. (Not quite sure what happened as I couldn't see).

Charlie Penney then stepped forward to take the penalty. We watched with much anticipation only to see him scuff his shot and the ball bobbled towards the goal. Fortunately the keeper had dived the wrong way & the ball crossed the line to make it 4-2.

A good effort from both teams with some very competitve performances.

Final score - Ludgvan 4 -2 Mabe

Unfortunately i think some of the mabe players set themselves up for this! lots of teams in div 5 saying how cocky they have been all season about winning everything! Boxing day in falmouth weatherspoons singing to the fal town team "we are going to win the league" springs to mind! Wooooops!!! take Luke Murray out of that team and would they have even finished in the top 3? Think the bit part players at mabe are the ones jumping on the bandwagon and doing all the talking! congratulations to Ludgvan for an extremely strong finish in the league and cup.

I think your getting mixed up between cocky and confident. the team has the ability to play good football and have shown that many times this season we have played some tough teams in the cups and league and I'm proud of all my players it's just unfortunate that we fell at the final hurdle but we will regroup and go again . I think if you look at how many goal all our players have scored you will see that it's not just like scoring we have lots of talented players at the club that want to win every game they play

yes boys and girls the cat is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

watched the ludgvan vs. mabe match as my daughter was training alongside them on the adjoining pitch

lovely bunch at mabe,firstly the guy who was hurling expletives at the officials from his technical area( bearing in mind there were 60-70 kids next door and his jacket said the team were sponsored by fitnfunkids.co.uk)

and the other one who ran out of the technical area to abuse the ludgvan officials after his player had been fouled (badly and the player red carded)

the ludgvan player did abuse him back and was also out of order but in this instance the mabe gent was asked to leave the ground(and protested the ludgvan chap should have been asked to leave also which he was not asked to do)

He proceeded to hide behind a car in the car park.

have I really been out of the football loop for that long!!!