Cornwall Football Forum

Wadebridge 2 Foxhole 1

Wadebridge 2 Foxhole 1

Saturday 25th August 2007

Two late goals from the otherwise anonymous Harris denied Foxhole their first points of the season after a gritty display, much improved from Wednesday's debacle. Howver, the performance reinforced the notion that effort alone won't be enough, as quality was again sadly lacking.

Bodieve Park's stand was almost empty as most of the gathered faithful watched Wadebridge dominate the early stages from the top bank. Playing into a fair breeze, the Foxes were soon resorting to desperate defending, although Holland was relatively untested as the home team's final ball was often inadequate.

Cameron's cross rebounded from the bar, May's low cross only needed a touch and Parkin nodded into the keeper's arms as Wadebridge sought the advantage; then, Cook was unlucky to see his header from Cameron's deep corner cleared off the line by Rowe, while the Foxes could only lump hopeful balls in the general direction of Ames and Hill, who were habitually outjumped by Cook and Waters.

Bullock, who had held the visiting rearguard together well in the first half, failed to re-appear after the break due to a re-occurrence of his back problem, but Lawrence proved an able replacement as Foxhole at last pressed forward, albeit without total conviction. Hill, Ames and Rowe all had efforts from distance, while Warne wasted a golden opportunity by delaying his shot. The home team's best chance fell to May, who volleyed too high, while Parkin's fierce drive was tipped over, but Grose and Meens continued to contain the potentially dangerous combination of Insley and Harris.

Rowe was booked for a foul, Hill for kicking the ball away and Warne for a laughably innocuous challenge, as the referee chose to impose his authority by brandishing petty yellow cards rather than, say, ensuring Wadebridge retreated more than a few inches at free-kicks, but the disenchantment among the visiting support was forgotten when Panter's volley on 78 beat the static Gears after Warne's dangerous corner had not been cleared.

Unfortunately, the tiring Foxes were unable to see out time and, moments after Ames had blazed wide from 10 yards a great chance to double the lead, Holland pushed out May's low drive only for the ball to fall straight to Harris to smash home the equaliser on 87. Within a minute, Harris' cross from the corner flag was deflected off Rowe for a fortuitous winner.

Foxhole(3-5-2): Ryan Holland 6; Jamie Bullock 7 (sub. Dexter Lawrence 6), Daniel Meens 6, David Grose 7; Jason Warne 6, Richard Fairclough 6 (sub. Adam Rowe 6), Mark Rowe 6, Andrew May 5 (sub. Adam Holland 5), Steve Panter 6; Scott Hill 5, Liam Ames 6.

Wadebridge(4-4-2): Mark Gears; Dan Puleston (sub. Alex Young), Aiden Dodd, Paul Waters, Martin Cook; Lee Cameron, John May, Nick Dowling, Stuart Parkin; Andy Harris, Josh Insley.

Referee: Mr Barry Jackson (Plymouth) 6.

Definite deflection I was running the line, about 60 yds closer than you Stuart. Wadebridge had a lot of posession, but can't remember our keeper making too many saves. Overall I think you just shaded it.

From your remarks I take it you did the report in the Indy on Sunday, thanks for nothing.

Sorry you were offended Dave, my information came from your player who said it went straight in. He was probably closer than both of us.

By the way, I thought both club assistants did a very good job, with our man giving your goal when the ref was unsure whether it cossed the line.

The report in the Indy were the joint words of myself, Mike Sampson and our Chairman, no doubt when you play a home game the remarks will reflect your teams veiw of the game, good luck for the rest of the campaign.