Cornwall Football Forum

Friday Night Football -The Future ?

With more and more games being scheduled for Friday evenings , and the increased attendances that seem to be going with it , I would be interested in the opinions of the good folk on this forum of how this would progess . For instance , do people forsee a time in the future when the whole Peninsula Premier League would be played on Friday nights ?

Think about it ,it would give people who have work/family commitments on a Saturday,watch Argyle or are involved with junior football a chance to watch a game and it also may have a knock on effect of more people, who do have the time,enthusiasm and money,getting their Saturday football fix by following East Cornwall,Combination and Duchy League teams .There is always something more atmospheric about night games as well .

I know that this would mean a few teams (Elburton,Camelford and the Marines currently) would be unable to play in the league under this conditions,but weren't floodlights a minimum requirement for Premier clubs when the Peninsula League was formed ?

In the light of the 300-400 crowds that turn up at Parkway on a Friday versus the 80-90 on a Saturday , the big crowd for the showpiece game at Priory Park last week ( and the above average gate at Lux Park as well) it does seem,for me at least,the logical way to go .

Parkway have always been keen on Friday evening football, especially if Argyle are playing at Home on the Saturday. I remember a lot of Cornish Clubs were not that keen, but now have a change of heart. It will not replace Saturday football, but may Friday evening football continue to grow in popularity.

Elburton Villa will shortly have lights in operation, as per FA requirement, so they will soon benefit from Friday evening football, just like other Clubs

I think Friday night football is ok but you just can't beat Saturday matchdays. Also alot of clubs rely on the bar being open all day to subsidize the cost of running a football outfit. 12 hours of opening on a Saturday when a Friday evening is only open for 5 hours with at least 2 hours lost with watching the game. The attendances may be bigger for certain games on a Friday, but the extra cost to light the game is a cost which could be wiped out. Also the cost of bulbs, which I have noticed on my travels around the southwest many grounds need to replace. Im not a kill joy on this subject but some fans I think just do not no the costs that can be involved.

I don't think it would be good to have a full fixture list on a Friday night because I believe the attandances are far greater on the odd Fridays because most of the attendants are players / managers who play Sat football (especially in the same league) and it gives them chance to watch a game in there division and to check out how the other teams/friends/former players are getting on.

It would also have an affect on reserve team football + local p&d leagues due to players who play in the swp league being free on sat to play, which would leave more players out of a team due to managers bringing in swpl players!