Cornwall Football Forum

Thurrock 1 Truro City 1

A very tiny crowd of 201 saw Barry Hayles 31st Minute Opener cancelled out by an 86th Minute Equaliser by Bowditch. The result leaves the mighty Truro 10th in the league, a great start after 11 games. Only 3 points off the play-offs now and next in the league (October 8th) is home to 5th-Placed Basingstoke which should be a great game. Next Saturday though, Truro are away to Bournemouth (no not that Bournemouth!) in the Fa Cup.

Crowds don't seem to matter in the South East, being so highly populated, teams appear to readily have talent at their door waiting to join clubs who need to sort themselves out results wise, the last three games I attended saw the Boreham Wood board make money available so they got four new players, Maidenhead also added four to their personnel, at Thurrock it was nine who between them have only managed 20 games, buying a programme is a waste of time when the players names printed on them are no longer at the club,

Each time these things happened their next opponents were Truro City, unfortunate for it to happen to us once but three away games on the trot, they're having a laugh.

We look at the league table and think, we can get a result there, the teams league position suggests that, when you get there the team taking the field is much stronger than those that had gone before, it is little wonder there are so many shock results in the Conference South, being mainly South East based the United Kingdoms most densly populated area is a conveyer belt of talent.

South West teams will always find it difficult to compete when personnel down there is so thin on the ground.

Boreham Wood have close links to Arsenal who's Ladies team play there.

Thurrock have close links with West Ham United who's Ladies play there.

Maidenhead United were on about contacting Reading and Wycombe Wanderers for loan players.

In the circumstances Truro City are doing brilliantly, we have to expect some results to go against us.

Crowds don't seem to matter in the South East, being so highly populated, teams appear to readily have talent at their door waiting to join clubs who need to sort themselves out results wise, the last three games I attended saw the Boreham Wood board make money available so they got four new players, Maidenhead also added four to their personnel, at Thurrock it was nine who between them have only managed 20 games, buying a programme is a waste of time when the players names printed on them are no longer at the club,

Each time these things happened their next opponents were Truro City, unfortunate for it to happen to us once but three away games on the trot, they're having a laugh.

We look at the league table and think, we can get a result there, the teams league position suggests that, when you get there the team taking the field is much stronger than those that had gone before, it is little wonder there are so many shock results in the Conference South, being mainly South East based the United Kingdoms most densly populated area is a conveyer belt of talent.

South West teams will always find it difficult to compete when personnel down there is so thin on the ground.

Boreham Wood have close links to Arsenal who's Ladies team play there.

Thurrock have close links with West Ham United who's Ladies play there.

Maidenhead United were on about contacting Reading and Wycombe Wanderers for loan players.

In the circumstances Truro City are doing brilliantly, we have to expect some results to go against us.

Are none of the players in the South East under contract? From which leagues do the stronger players come from? Surely if they are that good they must play a reasonable standard before playing in the same league as Truro who have some brilliant players.

Hi Hoppit,

The Conference South clubs are almost entirely in the south east, those near the south coast have arrangements with professional clubs, Southampton, Portsmouth, Brighton, Bournemouth etc. Many nearer to and in London have loads of clubs to get favours from, I know in the past (maybe still) Charlton Athletic Reserves used Welling United's ground and Charlton in return allowed Welling the use of their fringe players etc I don't think there is a professional club in London that hasn't an arrangement with Conference or Southern League clubs as a reciprocal arrangement.

What I was attempting to highlight was how much easier it is up this part of the country to draught in players when things need sorting because of injury or suspension, I have never seen a league that has the referees reaching for the cards so much, you only have to look at Truro's games to see how they rack up. I went to Maidenhead last week for the Truro game 3 red cards and ELEVEN yellows and it was not a dirty game, the refs actions started all sorts with both teams brawling. The referee was being assessed that night, the assessor kept him in the dressing room until 10.45pm for him to explain how he made the decisions he made.

Professional clubs go through players like lightening, they come in all the time on trial etc. they then hold on to the better ones but let them out to clubs nearby on loan to gain experience, all the rules about players contracts, how many you have in squads etc have changed recently so I wouldn't know enough to answer your question.

It is mind boggling when you look at the clubs who are in the Conference South, their history is awesome.

Hi Hoppit,

The Conference South clubs are almost entirely in the south east, those near the south coast have arrangements with professional clubs, Southampton, Portsmouth, Brighton, Bournemouth etc. Many nearer to and in London have loads of clubs to get favours from, I know in the past (maybe still) Charlton Athletic Reserves used Welling United's ground and Charlton in return allowed Welling the use of their fringe players etc I don't think there is a professional club in London that hasn't an arrangement with Conference or Southern League clubs as a reciprocal arrangement.

What I was attempting to highlight was how much easier it is up this part of the country to draught in players when things need sorting because of injury or suspension, I have never seen a league that has the referees reaching for the cards so much, you only have to look at Truro's games to see how they rack up. I went to Maidenhead last week for the Truro game 3 red cards and ELEVEN yellows and it was not a dirty game, the refs actions started all sorts with both teams brawling. The referee was being assessed that night, the assessor kept him in the dressing room until 10.45pm for him to explain how he made the decisions he made.

Professional clubs go through players like lightening, they come in all the time on trial etc. they then hold on to the better ones but let them out to clubs nearby on loan to gain experience, all the rules about players contracts, how many you have in squads etc have changed recently so I wouldn't know enough to answer your question.

It is mind boggling when you look at the clubs who are in the Conference South, their history is awesome.

Thanks for that ,Once again reading this makes you realise how much we are out on a limb in Cornwall, When i was reffing you were told that you should move to at least Bristol if you wanted to further your career. Seems that refs and clubs from up country get a distinct advantage,tough old world i guess,

hoppit,

When I mentioned not knowing the rules about players contracts etc. I came across a piece about TRANSFER EMBARGOES, most people believe that embargoes are only imposed when teams are in financial difficulty, that is not the case, there are many different reasons and they can vary from league to league, therefore, it is impossible to make a definite statement on the matter, I only just found out that in Football League Division Two an embargo is put in place if a team spends more than 60% of it's income on wages whereas that rule does not apply in Football League Division One (there are those who want it extended to Div 1).

There are dozens of clubs operating successfully having had transfer embargoes against them for differing reasons, among those are Coventry City, Southend United, Portsmouth, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Charlton Athletic, Cardiff City, AFC Bournemouth and many many more.

It appears that when the 'embargo' word is mentioned it may be little more than tweaking the rules.

hoppit,

When I mentioned not knowing the rules about players contracts etc. I came across a piece about TRANSFER EMBARGOES, most people believe that embargoes are only imposed when teams are in financial difficulty, that is not the case, there are many different reasons and they can vary from league to league, therefore, it is impossible to make a definite statement on the matter, I only just found out that in Football League Division Two an embargo is put in place if a team spends more than 60% of it's income on wages whereas that rule does not apply in Football League Division One (there are those who want it extended to Div 1).

There are dozens of clubs operating successfully having had transfer embargoes against them for differing reasons, among those are Coventry City, Southend United, Portsmouth, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Charlton Athletic, Cardiff City, AFC Bournemouth and many many more.

It appears that when the 'embargo' word is mentioned it may be little more than tweaking the rules.

If an embargo was placed in Truro's league some of the clubs would never survive on gates of 200 to 800 or so, plus the odd fundraiser. I am surprised that the likes of Southend survive as they don't get big crowds but must have a hefty wage bill. I am naive about these matters and might be talking complete gobbly gook. If clubs are solvent why have embargo's.

It's a minefield, hell for Club Secretaries, not to mention International clearance for players in the LOWER leagues.

If someone came up with a book dealing with the do's and don'ts of football they would be on a best seller.

I bet many who run smaller clubs don't have a what's what to refer to. :(

hoppit,

Thanks for the insight Mountaineer :drink: