Cornwall Football Forum

Durning Lawrence Charity Cup

I suspect I am not alone in thinking that this Competition has become somewhat of a white elephant:and that it is just another cup for the same clubs in which to participate.Is there an alternative to this ?-I believe so:

Why not just invite Clubs from the E.C.P.L. and the Combination-and,if necessary the top teams from the F.H.,Mining and Duchy Leagues.

I remain unshaken in by belief that this would create much more interest throughout the County.

Any thoughts ?

If it's for charity,Dave,then it shouldn't matter a hoot(notwithstanding the O.F,s at CCFA!)Although the Junior League champions might well be promoted to a Senior League.

Regarding your comment about Torpoint Reserves being invited,my spies inform me that CCFA have had a re-think realising that it is not viable to have both 1st and 2nd teams in the same competition.Furthermore,I am led to believe that Bude Town will now be invited.

I suspect I am not alone in thinking that this Competition has become somewhat of a white elephant:and that it is just another cup for the same clubs in which to participate.Is there an alternative to this ?-I believe so:

Why not just invite Clubs from the E.C.P.L. and the Combination-and,if necessary the top teams from the F.H.,Mining and Duchy Leagues.

I remain unshaken in by belief that this would create much more interest throughout the County.

Any thoughts ?

The Charity Cup was changed (in my opinion for the better) a few years ago by restricting entry to sides at Step 7. ie. SWP Div 1. This was logical as the SWP Premier teams were likely to win either of the cups at step 6, namely the Senior Cup and Throgmorton Cup. For teams in SWP Div 1, the Charity Cup gives these clubs some silverwear to strive for. Last season for example Hayle, Perranporth, Porthleven, Millbrook, Dobwells, Mousehole, Wendron, Foxhole, Helston and Newquay were out of the all other cups (FA Vase, Senior and Throgmorton Cups) by late January. At the same time, 8 clubs in SWP West were still competing in the Charity Cup with something to play for. The Devon Premier Cup provides the same opportunity for Step 7 clubs east of the Tamar.

In order to keep 16 teams in the competition, the top clubs from EPCL and Combo should be invited, if these are reserve teams (of step 6 clubs) then there shouldn't be a problem.