Cornwall Football Forum

Best East Cornwall Side of past 20 years

To follow the comb thread of best team in the last twenty years thought i would start the thread for the east cornwall

Would have to put down Callington 1997-1999 side as we won the league two years in a row by up to 12 points clear before making the step to SWL under Ian Southcott is my shout.

Squad included: A.Brenton,C.Smith,N.Hicks,S.Hunt,B.Ewence,J.Radford,G.Smith,A.Jury,T.Rawlingson,R.Daley,C.Truscott,S.Wakenshaw,M.Bithell,S.Treble,S.Friend,C.Abbott and a few more.

I remember ST Dennis going the whole season unbeaten under Billy Davis, also very strong and succesfull Foxhole,Liskeard and Nanpean sides.

I would say thats a fair shout Trucker!! some top players in that side :thumbsup:

But dont tell smithy that or his scrap book will be out as he still takes it to work with him now :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Season 1999-2000 for St Dennis' unbeaten season Played 38, Won 28, Drawn 10, Lost 0, Goals For 112, Against 28, Points 94. Champions in a 20 team league

I played in this side and we had a great team spirit and everybody worked for one another. Peths was solid in goal. We had 3 strong centre halfs who were good in the air and Steve Searle sweeping behind who is a legend. The 3 in centre midfield were hard working and didnt give the opposition a second on the ball. The wingbacks were skillfull and got up and back. Brett and vinny up front scored probably 30 goals each. Overall we had a good mix of youth and experience and were all mates on and off the pitch.

The squad was the following:-

Manager = Billy Davis

Goalkeeper = Paul Pethick.

Defenders = Steve Searle, Brian Banfield, Dave Llyod, Paul Philp.

Midfield = Jason Warne, Richard Stoneman, Neil Parsons, Collie Dudley, Neil Dudley, Andy Rosevear.

Strikers = Brett 'Rex' Elliot and Darren Vincent.

Some great players mentioned in the previous posts, but for me the Nanpean team of the late 90's....Penhaligon, quest, kendall, hughes, batt, milton, roberts, best, key, dyer, isbell, solomon and player-managed by geoff paull......apologies for any names missed but it has been over 12 years! Also backed up by a fantastic off the field team, most of which I have no doubt are still involved today.

Good days that will be hard to forget!

Some great players mentioned in the previous posts, but for me the Nanpean team of the late 90's....Penhaligon, quest, kendall, hughes, batt, milton, roberts, best, key, dyer, isbell, solomon and player-managed by geoff paull......apologies for any names missed but it has been over 12 years! Also backed up by a fantastic off the field team, most of which I have no doubt are still involved today.

Good days that will be hard to forget!

Have to agree with burts. Played for Bodmin and Roche around this time and I think the Nanpean team shades the St Dennis team - a bit more class from the likes of Gary Dyer. I can remember the 1990's as a strong time for some of the 'clay' teams like St Dennis (Gary Wheildon, the Burnetts), the Nanpean team above and even Roche (Phil and Andy Dingle, Robbie Hawke, Chewy, Mike Hancock etc) when they had a few bruising battles against a decent Liskeard team (Darren Gilbert, Colin Barrett)