Cornwall Football Forum

Truro 1, Cambridge City 1

As I was in the county I thought I'd sample 2nd v 3rd in this Southern Premier League. Well, Truro were all over this supposed fancied team who weren't anywhere near Farnborough's standard from what I've seen elsewhere. Truro need fear no-one in the league apart from their own failings. When they had Cambridge for the taking after the sending off of their central defender, they pussyfooted around, square ball after square ball, to and fro across the front of a well-drilled defence which would have happily stood there all day soaking it up. Then there were the long balls, gobbled up by a giant defence like a training exercise. Truro only briefly looked like scoring after an opening ten minutes during which they went through the Cambridge defence with ease and took a deserved lead. Even the equaliser wasn't a disaster at the time, but after the sending off they just didn't press home their advantage. Afful was brilliant, Watkins pretty good, too, but the service they got was poor. I wanted to see them moving to and fro IN the Cambridge box to receive little fierce through balls on the ground between the massed ranks of blue - but no. With no big ugly striker to cause aerial havoc they should have stuck to their first half form. But there it is. Playoff place a very realistic target. Automatic promotion - no!

Nice weather for a change!