Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay AFC 1 v 2 Callington Town.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Newquay AFC 1 v 2 Callington Town.

A far better performance than Saturday but for the second home match in a row, The Peppermints snatched defeat from the jaws of a draw. Newquay dominated the whole of the second half but fell to a last minute sucker punch breakaway. Two quality goals from the Cally 9 gave the visitors the points but Newquay could and should have had this one wrapped up well before Cally winner.

Newquay had a perfectly good first half goal ruled out for a supposed offside, although only the lino thought that Ash, who was stood on the edge of the box when Riggers smashed a shot against the bar was offside when Ash ran in and headed home. Alan Hoon seemed to allow foul after foul to pass without a card, and then books Luke Whelden for kicking the ball away when the same lino flagged for the 5th attack in a row for offside, much to the annoyance of the usually sedate tea bar crowd.

Newquay rightly gutted and Cally delighted. Perhaps a few changes will be needed for the FA Vase tie with Bridport on Saturday.

Crowd 101

You cannot draft so many players in and expect them to play the same quality game as a settled, winning side. Not as many out tonight but the game was definately one we should have won.

The second half performance would have normally won any match but Cally defended well and in numbers. No idea who the number 9 who scored both Cally goals was but he is right footed and took his only two chances well, can't ask any more of a striker.

Newquay 1 Callington 2

As the judge has described, a game that Newquay should never havelost, but if you dont hit the net with the many chances then you have to learn harsh lessons and ths is what Calington did to the home team. At 0-0 with seconds of the 1st half, Callington made Newquay pay after Newquay had the ossession of the 1st half. The Second half belonged to Newquay, but the Callington number 9 played up front alone and looked dangerous at any chance he had a shot on the break. Newquay bought subs on to win the game once they had equalised but with the clock ticking down and a point a piece, but the Callington 9 had other ideas and set off on a run and blasted the ball past the newquay keeper for the late winner. Game ended on a bit of a sour note when a mother asked the callington manager was it wise to make obscene gestures to the crowd with young children in it and his response was with 2 fingers, I hope the Callington manager is pleased of his manners, as my 5 year old autistic child was with us last night.

Was lovely to visit Mount Wise and meet several people who I've met over the years, like the lovely smiley tea lady and her hubby, the ref and his partner(I think she is!) and to meet the judge for the first of many times, spoke with Mrs Biggin who is a grand lady.

Now now Rob, I can't have people agreeeing with my comments, you will get me a reputation as someone who says it as they see it.

Good to meet you and your family Sir, don't forget to PM me you address and I will send up those Newquay Progs in exchange for the DVD. Til we meet again at Easter, enjoy the Balti pies.

I'm sure to any neutral, given the swirling windy conditions, this was a very good game to watch. Both teams played at a high tempo and for much of the game it was evenly contested. Luke Rigby hit a pile driver from the edge of the area aganist the bar and it was Ashley Bradshaw from left midfield who followed up to score from an header. The linesman adjudged there was an offside when Luke struck the ball and so the "goal" was disallowed. Callington had the wind in their favour in the first half and relied much on the long clearances from their keeper. I was impressed with how well organised Callington were and their League position I think is rather false. Just before half time the Newquay defence, which had held firm for 44 1/2 minutes, only partially cleared the ball and the Callington striker hit an unstoppable left foot shot high into the net. Newquay had the wind at their back in the second half and took a while to judge their passing. Newquay forced several corners and free kicks but the Cally defence was solid. Paul Robertson hit a right foot volley just over. Scott Palmer went on a mazey dribble and his right foot curler went just wide. Newquay equalised when the Cally keeper failed to catch an up and under and Luke Weldhen was on hand to force the ball home. Cally looked dangerous on the break and Luke Payne made a terrific save pushing the ball around the post. Newquay continued to press but could not breach the visitors defence. In the final minute of the game the ball broke to the Cally striker with the home defence appealling for offside. The striker hit a second stunning strike to ensure that his side left with all three points. If Callington continue to put in performances like last night's I can see them climbing the table quite quickly.

Guest leemccheese

still talkin out ur ass then judge u could end up bottom at this rate and u will still say everyone was out , get over it else ill send BILL DAVIS around knocking on ur door ha ha ha

Apologies to the lad who scored the first one for not correctly identifying him, still a cracking strike, I was walking past the goal as it went it, keeper had no chance. Likewise the winner was superbly taken by the No. 9

Guest ajlongcallington

Hi all, long time no speak.

Just wanted to reply to Midlandsman comments. First of all, I would like to, on behalf of the whole club, apologise for any offence caused by the alleged incident. I have spoken to Lee, our manager, who was not, as alleged, involved in the situation, as he had only just come off the field after playing. It may well have been one of the assistants. Myself and Lee will be speaking to the people concerned today and will be reminding them of their responsibilities.

On a better note, well done to the lads - a great win - just sorry that a council meeting meant that I could not get to the game. Lets hope for more of the same today against Dobwalls.

If i remember rightly mr long you told previous manager my replies on here you no longer wanted me to remain at callington ill guess your true to your word and decision making that you will no longer want middlemans mate services as this is second issue he has been involved with that has embarrased you?

Mike, I would watch what you are saying on this forum( yet again). This incident had absolutely nothing to do with me, no one has been mentioned by name, and the matter has been dealt with. plus it has nothing to do with you whatsoever, so shut your mouth or the men in white coats will be coming to put you away again!!!!!!!!!! :SM_carton: