Cornwall Football Forum

Vase Winners Through

Truro City progressed through to the third round of the Vase on Saturday but it was a grueling tussle between two well matched sides played in near perfect conditions.

City started with nine of the Vase winning side but the first half was one they will want to forget often being outplayed in the midfield and finding it hard to breakdown the Almondsbury Town defence marshaled by captain Ben Pope. The opening fifteen minutes saw both sides make a quite start with no real clear cut chances being created, Truro thought they may of had a penalty on 17 minutes when Wembley hero Kevin Wills went to ground after a tackle in the box but referee Morris waved play on.

It was Scott Walker who went close with a cross come shot on 24 minutes only to see his effort go past the far post, but Almondsbury started to take a strong grip on the game and a combination of Ash and Vaughen prevented Bishop opening the scoring. The impressive McKelvaney went even closer just minutes later when his header just went over with Vaughen beaten, City found themselves being pushed back and the City defence stood strong with skipper Tom Smith being the pick on the crop.

The deadlock was broken on forty minutes when McKelvaney broke away on the right hand side and his superb cross was met by Bishop to leave Vaughen with no chance. This almost sparked a immediate response when Walker's cross found Yetton's head six yards out but his goal bound header was superbly saved by Dan Holdcroft. As half time approached there was another chance for Yetton to get on the score sheet when Tolley headed on a Martin cross only for Yetton to mishit his shot and the danger was averted.

Once again the Tigers regrouped at half time and they started the half with much more purpose and on 53 minutes they were level, Tolley picked up the ball on the edge of the area and found Yetton his pass found Gosling out wide and his cross was met by the diving head of Tolley and City's large support finally had something to cheer.

City picked up three bookings in short concession with Martin, Power and Wills finding their way into referee Morris book, City though had the lion share of the game and took the lead on 76 minutes after a long ball found Yetton on the edge of the area and with defenders and the on coming keeper looking to close him down his chip was perfect and City now looked on course for victory.

However the Hellenic leaders had other ideas and with just eight minutes to go a cross from the right hand side was dispatched into the net by sub Adam Cole and it was game on again but with both sides unable to add to the score the game went into extra time.

This proved to be the big turning point with City's fitness giving them the advantage, City took the lead with two minutes of the first half remaining when Wills controlled a Gosling cross and scored past Holdcroft. Truro now had total control and were unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions but with the clock running out Yetton won the ball 35 yards out and battled through the Almondsbury defence as he seemed to be destined to score he played the ball off to Walker who scored with ease.

As the final whistle blew it was much to the relief of the players and large group of travelling fans but all credit should go to Almondsbury for their display making it avery enjoyable game to watch.

Guest tom@white tigers

Well done Truro City for winning a hard fought match and getting one step closer to defending the FA Vase. Probus at the weekend should be an interesting game.

Guest Sullivan

I think you're wrong there. Having Truro in the Senior Cup is a good thing! I've spoken to acouple of Probus players and they can't wait to play Truro. The Senior Cup is all about one offs against higher league teams and just because Truro are a quality outfit why does that make it a bad thing for Cornish football? It gives lower teams stories to tell and aspirations! The Truro first team won't be in the cup for much longer anyway (they will be premiership in acouple of years :thumbsup:). Good luck to Probus and enjoy the day, I would love to be in your shoes!!!

I think you're wrong there. Having Truro in the Senior Cup is a good thing! I've spoken to acouple of Probus players and they can't wait to play Truro. The Senior Cup is all about one offs against higher league teams and just because Truro are a quality outfit why does that make it a bad thing for Cornish football? It gives lower teams stories to tell and aspirations! The Truro first team won't be in the cup for much longer anyway (they will be premiership in acouple of years :thumbsup:). Good luck to Probus and enjoy the day, I would love to be in your shoes!!!

Sadly if Probus beat Truro it would be more down to a poor Truro performance rather than an excellent effort by Probus

Sadly if Probus beat Truro it would be more down to a poor Truro performance rather than an excellent effort by Probus

local_boy

I totally disagree with that statement and why would it have to be down to Truro playing poorly rather than Probus playing well, Just because of the gap between leagues and a little thing called MONEY I believe that T.P will have his side up and raring to go from the first whistle until the last and I’m sure whatever the score both teams will give a good account of themselves and don’t go thinking it will be a stroll and a big score for Truro.

I think a few people may be supprised at what lower league sides can do once they get that bit between there teeth’s.