Cornwall Football Forum

New Vets Season starts 4th Sept

WADEBRIDGE  5-2  HOLMANS

Not really as clear cut as the scoreline might suggest!!? Even 1st half with Holmans taking the lead twice with good finishes. The first was through Shaun Wilkins who timed his run perfectly after a shot came back off the post. I know this as I was running the line at the time!! Not that well I might add after being awake since 8am Saturday morning!! Falling asleep as I speak actually with another 12 hour nightshift beckoning!! England will probably send me to sleep for an hour hopefully!?! Think I got the couple offsides right anyway. Nothing worse than a cheating linesman!!? ?  Not sure who got the second for Holmans but our equaliser was a fantastic 30 yard free kick from Player-manager Derek Thompson which clipped the head of one of the wall and shot into the top corner. Our second equaliser was from man of the match Danny OHagan who turned his marker with strength and shot across the keeper into the far corner.  On the hour with the game in the balance OHagen was fouled in the area and got up to slot home the penalty inches past the keepers left hand. Thommo slipped back into a holding midfield role and put an 18 stone cripple with one knee on up front with Danny and within minutes OHagan completed his hat-trick with a thunderous header from a Thommo pinpoint corner. The match was wrapped up in the final five minutes as OHagen who must surely be the Drogba of the vets league clipping a cross to the far post and the 49 year old cripple slid in and half volleyed home just inside the post with his one good leg!! Five goals to go for the 2000,   ?   I'm hopeful the knee might just about hold out!?! Those three tablets a day from Holland and Barrett are doing me proud at the moment!!! ? Holmans had a penalty with the last kick of the game but struck the inside of the post. Nice to see some old mates on both teams, good bit of banter between the two teams and handshakes all round at the end, what vets footy is all about at the end of the day really. The two teams meet in the cup in a few weeks time at Holmans i think so should be another close fought cracker I should imagine. ?⚽️?