Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town pre-1950s

First time poster here.

I’m in Falmouth researching Falmouth Town and Bickland Park for part of a book.

Can anyone shed light on Falmouth Town’s movements (or clubs carrying the Falmouth Town name) prior to their re-emergence for the 1950-51 season? The Western Morning News dated 21 August 1950 reports:

“Restarted this season after a lapse of many years, Falmouth Town Association football club had an attendance of about 1000 at their opening match on Saturday, when they lost to Nanpean 2-0.”

The earliest record I can find of a Falmouth Town FC is from the 1910-11 season. Other than that, newspaper coverage (that I have access to at least) only makes reference to the club’s weekly whist drive winners.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Contrary to the SWPL directory and othe references of Falmouth, the Falmouth Town club was formed in 1949 and not 1950 as generally stated.

I have unearthed some newspaper cuttings which state-

On Friday 16th. September 1949 a public meeting was held at the Town Hall where 30 attended to discuss the formation of the club

One week later on Friday 23rd. September a (first) minuted meeting took place at the Barclays Bank in Falmouth.

this ties in with the first SWL handbook(1951) which gives the formation of Falmouth Town as September 1949

Also there are minute books of the Falmouth Town Supporters club from November 1949

Once affiliated to the CCFA friendly matches were played against Cornwall Technical College,Penzanc and Falmouth & District league X1 using the Recreation Ground

Long discussions were held with the Falmouth cricket club to use as a ground but time ran out and the council charged £20 for a 1950/51 season at Union Corner where their first competitive match took place v Nanpean in the Cornwall Senior Cup (League)

truros mr mourinho

• Premier Contributor
  •  
  • truros mr mourinho
  • Members
  • 1,130 posts

wereyou taking,the minutes at the meeting,heeee

Tony

• Premier Contributor
  •  
  • Tony
  • Members
  • 424 posts

Blimey, assumed Falmouth were formed much earlier than that - like St.Austell in 1890. I presume that there was a senior club in the town prior to 1949 - if so, what were they called?

Mike Odgers

• Premier Contributor
  •  
  • Mike Odgers
  • Members
  • 3,555 posts

On 28/02/2012 at 08:37, Tony said:

Blimey, assumed Falmouth were formed much earlier than that - like St.Austell in 1890. I presume that there was a senior club in the town prior to 1949 - if so, what were they called?

Falmouth Town did have a team on and off since the turn of the century playing junior and midweek matches.

At the formation of the New Falmouth town it was the Falmouth docks which was the Senior club in the Town.

Aberfalman

• Premier Contributor
  •  
  • Aberfalman
  • Members
  • 348 posts

On 28/02/2012 at 09:14, Mike Odgers said:

At the formation of the New Falmouth town it was the Falmouth docks which was the Senior club in the Town.

Although they had withdrawn from senior football in 1949. Obviously they returned but I haven't found out when yet.

Mike Odgers

• Premier Contributor
  •  
  • Mike Odgers
  • Members
  • 3,555 posts

On 28/02/2012 at 10:33, Aberfalman said:

Although they had withdrawn from senior football in 1949. Obviously they returned but I haven't found out when yet.

the Docks didnt fufil their final fixture in the Old Cornwall senior league 1948-49 and can not find them playing again until 1960-61 in the Combination League

Was the folding of Falmouth Docks (end of1948/ 49 season) the catalyst for the forming of Falmouth Town in September 1949 ?

Aberfalman

• Premier Contributor
  •  
  • Aberfalman
  • Members
  • 348 posts

On 28/02/2012 at 12:25, Mike Odgers said:

On 28/02/2012 at 10:33, Aberfalman said:

the Docks didnt fufil their final fixture in the Old Cornwall senior league 1948-49 and can not find them playing again until 1960-61 in the Combination League

Was the folding of Falmouth Docks (end of1948/ 49 season) the catalyst for the forming of Falmouth Town in September 1949 ?

I don't think so. I think it would have happened anyway.

There were calls for a senior Falmouth side while Docks were still playing CSL. Docks were a works side selected from yard employees until 1948. The impression you get is they weren't really considered the town's team, even though they were the only senior side.

I saw one letter calling for them to change their name to something like Falmouth United and for the Docks to donate the Boslowick ground to the Town. A common theme was the lack of facilities in the town at that time and that was blamed for the town not having a club.

It was said that there were ten senior players from Falmouth playing outside the town and many would like their own club.

Docks did become open in 1948 and appealed for players, but I guess it didn't go well.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

CornwallFootballForum.com

,I have seen a team photo of Falmouth F C (formed 1909) taken at the Recreation Ground 1910-11 season.

Saying Barker Bowl winners 1909-10 & 1910-11 so they must have played in the Falmouth & District League.

From a Porthleven fixture card 1922-23 it shows Cornwall Senior Cup results Falmouth Town 3 Porthleven 1 & Porthleven 5 Falmouth Town 1

1924-25 Cornwall Senior Cup Group "D" includes Camborne SOM-Falmouth Town-Falmouth Docks-Porthleven-Helston  & Truro City and a (2nd.Jan.1925) newspaper report on the CSC Falmouth Town 0-Truro City 1, played at the Recreation ground -Players and referee listed.

I have another picture of Falmouth Stars F C of 1929-30 season

So it is very sketchy history and would need a year by year search with the Newspaper library.

On 4/4/2016 at 18:10, Mike Odgers said:

,I have seen a team photo of Falmouth F C (formed 1909) taken at the Recreation Ground 1910-11 season.

Saying Barker Bowl winners 1909-10 & 1910-11 so they must have played in the Falmouth & District League.

From a Porthleven fixture card 1922-23 it shows Cornwall Senior Cup results Falmouth Town 3 Porthleven 1 & Porthleven 5 Falmouth Town 1

1924-25 Cornwall Senior Cup Group "D" includes Camborne SOM-Falmouth Town-Falmouth Docks-Porthleven-Helston  & Truro City and a (2nd.Jan.1925) newspaper report on the CSC Falmouth Town 0-Truro City 1, played at the Recreation ground -Players and referee listed.

I have another picture of Falmouth Stars F C of 1929-30 season

So it is very sketchy history and would need a year by year search with the Newspaper library.

Hi Mike. Would I be able to contact you directly with some Falmouth Town questions? I tried to send you a message through the forum but it looks like the facility is switched off.

Thanks, Mike.