Cornwall Football Forum

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

That'll be us then, no one else comes close. We started the trend some 10 years ago. Blazey have a few poor quality ones, not sure bout Truro but I doubt they have the numbers or the quality of ours. Parkway did have some years ago but not seen them on show since they played Argyle. G have one the size of a big hankey, paid for by the landlord I suspect.

Our latest one was featured in the Newquay Voice last Weds... a cracking tribute to our friends from North of the Border.

No reason for them to be out Tues, Newquay don't play til Weds night. The Semi is only of interest as St Austell are playing and we will be at Poltair on Sat.

How many, well we have retired 2 this season as they were old and knackered but do have the following...

20 x 10 foot red/white striped, 12 x 6 foot White Ensign, 12 x 6 foot St Andrews cross, 10 x 6 foot red/white, 10 x 6 foot St Pirans, 10 x 6 foot St Georges cross (12 x 6 foot St Georges cross yet to have any wording put on)

These are the main ones we take with us to grounds that have stands that can accomodate them, some can be seen on Facebook under Newquay Loyal. We have a couple of others but as all the above have been done professionally, these are the ones normally on show.

I'm Sure St Darren has a garage full of Liverpool flags that he has made over the years.

Not the biggest flag in Cornwall, but me and mates in England Supporters Club raised £3500 for a 85ft X 50ft England Flag with We Believe across the middle. It had to be insured and fireproofed. Made of silk folded up it is the size of a double bed. Anyway we took it to the Germany World Cup they would not allow it in the first stadium in Frankfurt. The next match in Nuremberg we faked a letter with a FIFA letterhead signed by the FIFA President Mr Sep Blatter which we handed to the ticket gate, the let us in, great, then as we went up to the top of the stand the stadium manager came across and demanded this letter and said we could not unfold it as it was a "security risk", couldn't believe it, needless to say a few words were exchanged with our German friends.

I also had England flag with the Cornish flag in the corner, I first took it to the World Cup in Japan in 2002, Iraq where it got a bit of battle damage then someone bloody stole it in America, it was in the same match in New Jersey were a group of Colombians tried to take down one of our flags from stand, nearly caused a bloody riot. You can just make out the flag on the left when I took it to Durban,South Africa in 2003. If anyone comes across it I would be keen to know. :c:

Guest Peppermint

Thanks for that Richard - knowing the Judge he will be busy making a flag to beat that giant size one and we will have to build a bigger grandstand to accomodate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

richard,

for wembley not to let it in is stupid, chelsea have 2 new big flags that roman paid for that get passed around each end of ground before home games and also some away, you perhaps need to send a stinking letter to the fa and see if something can be arranged for it to be use, maybe approch the papers

a big chelsea flag with cornwall across the top can be seen at alot of home games hanging behind the goal shed end aso at away games

:c::c: :c:

If you know different, prove it. As far as I and others are aware, no other fans of the sides that were in the SWL, Combo or ECPL had any flags at all 10 years ago.

Newquay started it, Blazey followed and the rest is history. Some knocked the flags, saying they had no place in this league, others are much kinder and have even joked at away grounds 'do you have planning permission for all those'. Others have said they have brightened up their grounds and one chairman invited us to put them up wherever we liked in his programme notes... however you look at them, they are there to show support for Newquay.

The Newquay Under 14s manager approached me at the weekend asking to borrow them for the trip to the SW Lions Cup Final at Crediton on Sunday. I had to tell him it wasn't possible as some of us would be taking them anyway by car. We are now travelling on the players, parent and supporters 84 seater bus.

If you know different, prove it. As far as I and others are aware, no other fans of the sides that were in the SWL, Combo or ECPL had any flags at all 10 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDg2Gbd1xb8

you can make it out on this clip, it was taken to many a vase game in the mid 90's and other games around the county but i wouldn't be as foolish as to say i started the trend :P

you said no clubs had any flags at all 10 years ago and asked me to prove it, which i've done,

A 5x3 ft flag you can pick up for a couple of quid is hardly trend setting stuff !

yes a 5x3ft flag you can now pick up for a couple of quid, it wasn't that easy in 93 to find a st piran flag, we also had a 10 x 6 white ensign which we took to tunbridge wells in 94 unfortunately they didn't have a stand big enough for it, but it looked good in the hotel.

and as i said in my second post i wouldn't be that foolish to state i started a trend!