Cornwall Football Forum

Match to Catch

Grampound Veterans, last seasons Devon & Cornwall Veterans Supplementary Cup Winners face the huge favourites for the Devon & Cornwall Veteran's Cup, The Western Inn, this Sunday.

The Western Inn side boasts a number of ex-Cornwall players such as Gary Penhaligon, the Street Brothers & Glyn Hooper.

Kick off as at 11am, this Sunday, 11th January, at the Recreation Ground, Grampound.

Definately a match to catch in what will be a very tough game for Grampound Veterans.

The scoreline totally flattered The Western Inn.

With better finishing Grampound would have been ahead at the break as they more than matched The Western.

The difference between the sides was the quality in the final third with The Western delivering a number of excellent crosses and Grampound wasteful infront of goal.

The Western Inn knew they had been in a game today and didn't like it when Grampound Vets got stuck in.

The Western have a number of players that play senior football on a regular basis - compared to Grampound Vets who have 1 player that plays East Cornwall League, 2 others who play Duchy 2 reguarly, and a few others who play Duchy 4 or play the odd game every now and again and several who don't play reguarly at all. So all in all it was excellent effort from Grampound's Veterans and on another day they could quite easily have produced a shock.

Woodmanaldo, a pretty fair analysis of Sunday's showdown and yes Grampound did give us a run for our money, which lets be truthful, is in the interest of any sport as one sided affairs are never of any interest to anyone who enjoys a competitive edge.

HOWEVER, I must take some issue with your comments regarding the strength of our Veterans team in comparison to Grampound's Veteran's. I dont think for one moment that you are attempting to make excuses for your dissapointment as the Grampound players gave it their all, but lets remember here that we are all subject to Veterans League and Cup rules which I am sure we all abide to and your comments regarding "ex Cornwall players" and " a number of players that play senior football on a regular basis" are a little unfair in my opinion.

These players are available to ANY Veterans team at the start of the season who wishes to aquire their services and its not as if The Western Inn or any other party have aquired their services by way of payment or bribery!! (Ok, maybe the odd round of drinks here and there by our Director of Football and Secretary Mr Alan Oliver excluded!!)

Also credit to the lads that do still play regulary on Saturdays and still manage to turn out the Sunday after for what are certainly very competitive League and Cup competitions. Not only them, but credit to the "Golden Oldies" of the squad who havent played regulary for many a season who themselves perform admirably each Sunday.

The shout of the season so far has to be - "Sunday's are the new Saturday's" and for me, that is a sign of just how much the lads enjoy playing veterans football this season.

Anyway, the very best to Grampound Veterans for the rest of their season.

Lafs.