Elburton Villa 2 Plymouth Parkway 4

Holsworthy 2 Camelford 3

Roche 7 Nanpean Rovers 2

St Blazey 0 Polperro 4

St Stephens Borough 3 Plymstock United 0

SUPPLEMENTARY LEAGUE CUP 1st Round

Bude Town 3 Lifton 1

Guest The Old Man

St Blazey.....sour grapes? Never.....of course they dominated the game.

If I recall....we scored four and let in nil....now thats what I would say is a comprehensive win for the minnows of the league. The BIG CLUB well and truly turned over!!!!

Their manager was an embarrassment....claiming they were the superior side, when in the cold light of day he was unable to accept defeat with any grace. SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!

Polperro were deserved winners 4-0

And by the way, when Blazey ran us ragged at our pitch back in August we took the defeat on the chin and accepted they were too good for us on the day.

WELL DONE to all the Polperro players :clapper::smiley20: :yahoo:

Guest Turkish

Torpopint 2 Bere Alston 1

watched it today not a bad game. only went down to watch my mate dean cardew and he was dropped. thoght they could have done with him cause was struggling at the end.dont reckon hell be too pleased. no shocks in the league today either i see

Yeah, Dean Cardew on the bench for the young lad Hicks from the 1st team and to be honest it was his pace and clever movement up front with Lewis Kershaw that was the difference between the sides on a very cold afternon at The Mill.

In fact Torpoint paid us the complement of including three or four 1st teamers, although in fairness we did have Dave Hallett from Tavistock in CM.

Torpoint enjoyed the lions share of possession in an evenly matched first half of few clear cut chances, but we suffered injuries to Zac Beesley and Ed Hillier who didn't return after the break and as with the league cup tie last month, Torpoint caught us cold within two minutes of the restart....Lewis Kershaw reacting quickest to a favourable bounce to outpace my two CD's and tuck the ball nicely into the corner.

Then a suicidal back pass from Jason Clancy was seized upon by Kershaw, who was tugged back by Clancy for a clear cut penalty....no complaints.

Can't remember who scored it but at 2-0 I feared the worst, especially as we had given up when going behind in the 2nd half of the league cup tie.

However, with Will Westlake joining Ben Waters in attack, to my lads credit they dragged themselves back into the game courtesy of a Mark Wheeler penalty and despite also losing Jason Clancy to injury and with Torpoint catching us on the counter attack a few times in the last 15 - 20 minutes They (Torpoint) were hanging on a bit at the end.

Could have snatched a point and were probably worthy of a share of the spoils, but suffice to say that Torpoint were overall technically better than us and also fitter and as defending champions will take some beating to the title again this season.

As for Ben Waters, credit to the lad for running his socks off despite taking a battering from Darren Wills and company all afternoon and must admit I was a little disappointed that he got no protection whatsoever from the man in black.

Guest fingerz_ma_boy

as for the Ben Waters hat-trick, the boy is a liability, im glad to see the back of him leavin the mill was the best thing that could happen to the club, maybe a younger, fresher, hungrier talent such as tom paine could get a chance..... or his counter-part luke jones..... then if needs must a return of liam thornton from the first team could never go a miss........ torpoint need to get rid of the dead wood such as dean cardew and gary williams form the first team...... as an avid torpoint i'd like to see more home grown talent coming tghrough the ranks..... players such as hicks and kershaw should get more of a look in i see them as impact players whou can change a game........ ricky cardew sees the potential it just seems ian stephens is blind to talent (playing the likes of ben davies)

As we reach the end of 2008, its nice to see 4 or 5 teams bunch nice and close together at the top of the ECPL. Yes Torpoint have got a few games in hand, but it does make things interesting for the new year. Next weeks big game see's the current top two paired together with Saltash looking to overtake Launceston and gain some revenge for an earlier in the season defeat. Should be a great game!! :D

Having played them twice in the last month, it appears to me as though Torpoint haven't got any so called 'dead wood', not in the ECPL squad anyway.

Ricky Cardew and Paul Stevens have a well drilled unit and Utilise their 1st team players in the right way.

Apparently apart from the GK Piper who came in cause Dixon was injured, Ricky only used those 1st team players against us, that hadn't played 90 minutes the day before and from what I can see it's often a case that if the 1st team haven't got a game then Ricky will have one or two on the bench as back up rather than play them in place of his regulars.

We have played all the top clubs with the exception of St Stephen, who came up with us last season and Torpoint overall are the best side we have played as they restricted us to very few chances in both the league and cup games.

Saltash may have beaten us 7-1 but we had a weakened side out that night and saltash had 9 chances and scored 7, wheras we had 4 one on ones in the 1st half and with better finishing should have been in front at half time.....Same story in our two games with Launceston (lost 1-0 both times).

Launceston are very well drilled defensively and counter attack well but will not score as many goals as either Torpoint or Saltash and come the end of the season, although it's gonna be tight I can se that having a 20+ leading goalscorer will make all the difference.

We haven't played Sticker yet either and have got them home and away in consecutive weeks on 10/1 and 17/1.

They have got plenty of games in hand and are handily placed to make a push for the top but a lot of those games in hand are against the likes of Torpoint and Saltash so it's difficult to judge them just yet.

At the moment it would have to be Torpoint for me, but that may all change within the next five or six weeks, when we have played Sticker and the big boys at the top have gone head to head.

Guest fingerz_ma_boy

anybody could've put away those chances... all im saying is the second team should be used to blood local youngsters... givin them a good standing for a chance of playing in the first team..... maybe the players over 23-25 years of age should finally realise there not going to be playing at the top level locally (1st team).... what do you think bigtony?

if there`s young local talant out there better then whats in ricky`s `championship winning squad` then im sure big rick would take a look at them,but having only lost one league game this season and in the hat for the Q/final cup drew why would he want change things at the moment,after all as coach kt would proberly tell you,u do need a good mix of youngsters and a couple of old heads and i think ricky has got that mixture spot on.

Guest Turkish

you sound to me like a supporter who cant actually play the game himself of course the second team should be bringing through players but havent they been doing that? hicks? thornton? kershaw? without these 'older' players the second team would not be as successful and these youngsters wouldnt stick around as long and as for calling dean cardew dead wood you obviosly havent got a clue i played in the same team as him for years and hes a class act got a football brain which you obviously havent

Guest fingerz_ma_boy

3 players from how many???? there is no need to go throwin insults around, obviously your a deadbeat player who took offence from the dead-wood description.. or maybe an older player who realises that your not good enough to break into the first.... maybe all of the previous.... we're all entitled to our own opinions.... theres no point in having a good footballing brain if you cant do anything with it... its like being the cleverest man alive and not being able to communicate.... get a life....

Guest Turkish

if only you knew.... im sure your 1st team would love to have me.... who are you anyway you sound like a young local lad whos bitter about being overlooked....

Old man

As a neutral at the St.Blazey V Porperro game do you really think that if Blazey`s keeper had not been injuryed and had to go off the score would of been so convincing. Goal one from free kick after said keeper handled out side area ( if he wasn`t hurt he might of kicked it clear) :blink:

Goal two The Sub keeper watched a half hearted shot roll by him and made no attemped to move let alone save it . :(

Goal three a near post shot which my 7 year old daughter could of saved , again the sub keeper just let in go and it trickled in :o

Goal four again no effort to save it from the keeper . :wacko:

Yes you may still of won and it wasn`t a one sided game as some say ,if the keeper had stay on it would of been a better contest and closer score , in my oppinion the keepers injury was the turning point in this game .

Porperros keeper played out of his skin and saved porperro from a what could of been a heavy lose to a win.

Turkish, if you're ECPL Premier standard or above and are looking for a game drop me a line...lol

:P:P:thumbsup:

Fingerz,

I would have thought, Ricky, Paul and Ian have got it covered as both sides (and the Duchy side for that matter) are doing okay.

Lads like Tom Payne are very good young players but have to be brought along steadily and they will no doubt get their chance in the senior sides soon enough, when Ricky ,etc feel the time is right, just like Liam Thornton and Lewis Kershaw.

Too many young lads in the team all at once and the stronger SWPL and ECPL sides will batter them, that's why it's vital to have the likes of Darren Wills at the heart of the 2nd team.

Torpoint's only concern at the moment would be that their U18's aren't doing as well this season and therefore the progression of young talent may slow down a tinge.

reffering to the comments made about dean cardew i would just like to point out this (dead wood) played a major role in delivering torpoint its first league title for over 40 years just 5 months ago , also the same piece of wood which knocked in 5 goals in one match a few weeks back, it seems to me your another naive or ignorant player/ supporter who isnt really in touch with the game and as for your statement about the older players do you not think its because of the likes of these that the younger players have came on and developed so quickly i would like to point out this is only the second or third year of senior football for the likes of hicks,chapman,kershaw,thornton,dickson,avis-riordan,bonney, payne and i dare say they have won more things then (fingaz) already , darren wills is the oldest player in the torpoint side and he captained the tittle winning campaign cant ask for more than that

Guest ECPL Supporter

I'm sure you are entitled to your opinion fingerz as a paying supporter, and i am also sure that if this was the opinion of all the Torpoint faithful then Dean Cardew would not want to outstay his welcome and look for another club. I must add though that as the 2nd top goalscorer of the Championship winning squad behind the impressive Lewis Kershaw you seem a hard man to please

Guest fingerz_ma_boy

i'll walk away from this argument a beaten man.... for those of you who have taken your time to expres your views on my opinions i thank you...... i hope you all walk away from this knowing that there are parts of your games that need improving...... maybe you could give back to football what it has given to you.... i wish not to see players leave.... i hope the players in mind really pick up there game and force themselves into the team 1st or 2nds..... obviously you could also learn to take criticism constructively.... as for ricky Cardew the man is a local legend and i could be swayed to agree he has got the mix right in the 2nd team..... as for Turkish i am not a bitter young lad... i've been watching torpoint play for a number of years the kind of comment you made is the comment that puts down the local talent... good luck to you all....

Guest pinuada

fingerz, as a keen supporter at the mill iv watched the boys for a number of years. Darren Sheppered (Guns) 25 years old, lets get rid of him, he wont make the first team, too old? Rubbish. Sheps is one of the fittest players at torpoint, strong as an ox and a never die attitude.An thats just an example. R u telling me that these type of players need to be got rid of?

Guest Turkish

fingerz i apologise if my comments offended you i have now moved on from the mill but still look back on my years there fondly and wish not to upset the supporters who once cheered me on as a youngster i just get upset when any player gets criticised let alone the ones that play the game the right way. i still look out for your result especially the 2nd team where a few of my mates play and wish you all the best for the rest of the season

Guest pinuada

As regards that 'dead wood' Cardew, he is one of the biggest voices in the dressing room. Without players like Cardew, kershaw, avis-riordan, hicks, thornton and the younger lads can not play their game to full extent. And no matter wahat anyone says he scores, dnt matter where or how, he scores goals. Always in the area when Avis-Riordan crosses, taking away defenders, unselfishly, so that kershaw and thornton get on the end of them. A very very useful and valuable member of torpoint athletics championship winning squad. I know for a fact that the players rate him highly, so it dnt really matter what anyone else thinks, fingerz.

Guest slimjim

Reading this thread with interest regarding Torpoint ECPL side, but could someone from the club answer why players like Wills and Shepherd have not figured in their First Team!? and the big question is if Dean Cardew is as good as as hes made out then why is he overlooked for the likes of the young lads such as Thornton Hicks and Kershaw??

As for their under 18's heard the manager has had a fight on his hands to have them recognised as part of the club as they are no longer welcome to play at the Mill, you just have to look at Elburton Villa to see how much they value their youth team.

Guest ECPL Supporter

The simple answer to 1 question is that Thornton and Hicks both play wide for the 1st team, if you know Dean then you know he is definately not a wide player. Also i assume that you mean overlooked as in not used for the 1st team, which must mean that he obviously isn't good enough to play at that level. Kershaw certainly is!! you seem to have a personal grudge against Cardew? Why is this? Wills and Shepherd are both good enough to play 1st team but the 1st have good players in their positions and i believe that they are both happy in the successful 2nd team. And as for the youth thing, where are you getting this information from? 2 players from the Under 18's play for the senior sides so how does this make them not welcome?

Guest fingerz_ma_boy

i could see wills playing for the first team agreed, the shepherd lad is a workhorse and strong but i feel he needs to work on his passing game to take the step up to 1st.... not forgetting torpoint has the likes of yeo waiting to come back from suspension.... down the mill at the moment carter seems to be banging the goals in whereas his strike partner cant get a goal.... that is why i feel a youngster such as kershaw hicks thornton, should get a chance upfront next to carter

slimjim,with regards to your question about darren wills being overlooked by the first team i believe the man is 37 or 38 years old and in his carear has clocked up hundreds of south western league and great mills premier appearances and i believe he`s won the torpoint swl player of the year award more then any other player in the clubs history,the pace gone but watching him week in week out i think he`s doing a tidy job for the second team `apart from the first 15 on saturday`haha sorry darren!! as for darren shepherd if he keeps performing like he has been this season its only a matter of time before he gets a call from ian stephens,as a fan i think the club is in great shape.

Guest slimjim

ECPL SUPPORTER.

I will be careful with what I say as ive been given the heads up that Dean Cardew and ECPL Supporter are the same person!!?? Anyway I have nothing against Cardew dont know him personally but if you read the thread many talk highly of him (you!?) so it raised the question if so good why no call up!? Absoluetly no question of a grudge im sure your a nice person lol !!

Guest ECPL Supporter

You say many people, are they all Dean Cardew? I will admit to being close to him, as i am many of the Torpoint 2nd team, but who gave you this heads up? Dean is just a local lad playing for his local team who has had problems in the game and i know he is now just enjoying playing the game and playing with his mates without any pressure of having to further himself. Apologies if you have been offended and wrongly given the impression of him being better than he is, as he would be the first to admit he is very average with many limitations

Guest The Old Man

Goodsense......You rightly state that the goalkeeper's injury did have a bearing on the game and it would have been a close match.

Goal 1: Excellent strike from free-kick (free-kick given when goalie handled outside box)

Goal 2: Our player turned and drove powerfully into net (proper goalie would not have saved)

Goal 3: Decent effort from edge of box (agree proper goalie would have saved)

Goal 4: Header at far post (proper goalie would have saved easily)

Two good goals and two fortunate goals.

However, my reason for posting on the result of the St Blazey v Polperro game was because of the unsporting behaviour of the St Blazey management at the final whistle. They did not accept defeat with any grace whatsoever. He said "I've never seen a side dominate a game and lose 4-0 before". In my book that is sour grapes. When St Blazey beat us 5-0 he was congratulated on his team's performance.

You were right to say our goalkeeper had a great game, but he consistently plays at that level, if he were not such a decent clubman, I'm sure he could chase the cash at a higher standard.

A "neutral" on such a cold day??? You sure you are not a Blazey fan???

the Old Man

I am far from being a st. blazey fan and as to say the St. Blazey managerment were showing sour grapes was a bit off as I spoke to the Manager of St. Blazey for a while after the game and he said that he believed his team played didn`t deserve to win . The person whom you are talking about was the second in charge and believe me take what hes says with a pinch of salt as he comments did not reflect what the manager said to me. May I add surly you must agree that it would been a far better game if the Blazey keeper didn`t get hurt and it had a big influence on the result.

:yahoo: And believe me you are so far off stating that i`m a blazey fan. :yahoo:

Guest The Old Man

Goodsense,

The goalkeeper getting injured did have a bearing on the scoreline but not the RESULT. We still scored two goals that were worthy of beating the keeper that started the game.

The St Blazey official who would not accept defeat with any sportsmanship was part of their management team and hence that is why I was aggrieved at his attitude towards Polperro.

Like I said previously we deserved our victory regardless of the injury.

Oh and by the way didn't Blazey "borrow" Lee Rickard for the fixture? Expecting him to score a hatful?

The Old Man

Who the hell is Lee Rickard :(

And i`m sure you MIGHT of won if the keeper wasn`t injuryed but it was a gmae of two keepers One who was out standing and one who got injuryed and no one will ever know which way the game would of gone .. would they. any way good luck for the rest of the season and who ever was the big number 16 was playing for you xmas came late for him as the ref was mighty generous by not showing him a card for his constant moaning .

good luck and happy new year. :smiley20: :drink: