Cornwall Football Forum

ST AGNES V NEWQUAY AFC

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Time for the Combo boys to turn on the style for the Newquay Loyal. We must thank Penzance for allowing us to get to this match.

Due to some little scroat putting through my car window and nicking the CD, I have spent a bloomin freezin afternoon waiting for the Police and trying to get a repair job. However, I understand the boys are not missing me as they are currently 4-0 up - get in !!!

FINAL SCORE - Aggies 0 v 5 NEWQUAY AFC

Top weekend for The Peppermints, see you in the club tonight for JOCASTA.

St Agnes 0 - 5 Newquay

Newquay made the short trip to St Agnes and were confident that they could take maximum points following a 3-1 win at Mount Wise.

Newquay couldn't have hoped for a better start as a Shaun Lawrence corner from the right was headed home by Grant Russell from close range in the opening minute. Another ten corners followed within the next few minutes and it wasn't long before Newquay were two up, Tom Taylor passed the ball back to Shaun Lawrence on the right wing and his cross sailed into the top corner despite the best efforts of the goalkeeper and defender on the line.

St Agnes had three good chances within a matter of minutes, St Darren's free-kicks caused some mayhem in the Newquay defence, but on all three occasions the St Agnes striker missed the target. This poor finishing was further punished when great work from Tom Taylor resulted in a perfectly executed diving header from Josh Harris, who left the goalkeeper rooted to the spot with an excellent finish.

Newquay weren't finished either, and Orrin Crowle's hard work paid off when he pressured the St Agnes goalkeeper into clearing the ball back into the midfield. The ball dropped around forty yards from goal and Grant Russell expertly drove a left foot shot goalbound, from the minute the ball left his boot it powered towards the goal and smashed into the roof of the empty net for possibly one of the best goals we've seen for a while. Newquay had further chances but did not convert, with Orrin Crowle and Josh Harris both going close in the first half. St Agnes didn't live up to the expectations that their improving league position suggested and St Darren took a tumble and let out a bit of a squeal, apparently one of his eyebrow hairs got caught up his plaster. Ouch. Frustrations threatened to boil over as Tom Benney took a swipe at one of the Newquay players, the referee bizarrely told him that he had seen the incident but took no action.

The second half continued in a similar fashion for Newquay, effective work on the right hand side from Orrin Crowle put Tom Taylor into the corner, his cross floated to the edge of the area and Grant Russell was on hand to slam home a perfectly executed volley, leaving the goalkeeper motionless as he completed his hat-trick. Newquay held a very solid back-line and James Merrikin had very little to do. There was even time for the experienced Newquay duo of Rabone and Darwent to join the affray, ensuring a calm and quiet finish to the match. Matt Davis committed a foul late on in the game and the St Agnes striker looked like he was in behind the last man, however, the referee gave a foul and produced no card.

Man of the match - Grant Russell - outstanding contribution and two first-class goals.

The best contribution from St Agnes today was their showers, top notch! The St Agnes side looked very mature in places and didn't seem to include some of their usual players.

Attendance - approx 25

PS - We'd like to dedicate this victory to Lee Hazeldine, who sadly couldn't make it today. Shame really, as we all had a fiver on a red card!

My goals Darren are like buses, I've used up my seasons quota in one game ,including my celebrations!!!As for the quality of the strikes,worth paying money for. I will have to wait at least a couple of weeks before another one like them!! Ha ha. Sometimes they come off, others make you look like a t*t. Good game for the newquay boys, a false league posiiton, especailly when we are at full strength. Hopefully I can stay injury free and build up match fitness. The club are moving in the right direction at last. Good luck for the rest of the season.

I don't understand how mitch can write such an accurate report, thought he's meant to be playing?? must be jotting notes down majority of the time rather than concentrating on his own game!!!!

I hope I don't get grief for duplicating posts, but I have only just seen this here!

Ha ha super saints :D It's not very often we score five goals so they are all quite clear in my mind at the moment! Usually the odd one or two aren't too difficult to remember. In addition, I spent 75 minutes observing today, so I had plenty of time to absorb what was going on!

Gutted I missed part 2 of the Newquay super weekend, but if the crowd was only 25, who were the 2 Saints fans ! My info says that The Peppermints were well represented again, despite my car being out of action and 2 of us missing the match. Many thanks to Bickers for taking those that were due to travel in the other halfs Pug.

Pissed of that Wendron won't switch next Sats Combo match to Fri night, both 1st teams in action on Sat in the Cup so would have made sense for players and fans of both sides to watch both games... never mind, we have just 2 places left on the coach to St Dominick despite the fixture clash. Sorry that our Combo boys won't see the trouncing !

Well said Aggiemaid, not easy for Mitch to see inside the cars from the dug-out. Keep up the good work, you have a nice little set up from what I remember during the pre-season match (bloomin cold that day too)

Evening judge, Where was your car damaged? Up the club or at home? Shame you missed the game, the boys played well, good shape, work rate and some special goals. not sure which goal was better, my second or third. St Darren/ Mitch? Will probably see you up the club sat night as its the second team xmas nite out.!!

Couldn't pick between the two to be fair, you certainly won't hit any purer than what you did!!

ah yeah, Mitch, did you think that Matt Davis was lucky to stay on the pitch with the last man challenge on Tom Benney late in the game? the ref didn't even have a word with him, but then, you had no idea what that referee was going to give all game really

St Darren, right you are, I forgot about that one, I clearly didn't have time to get my notebook out of my sock! It looked like a foul to me and I don't think the referee knew what to do. The way the ball changed direction suggested Matt my have won the ball, but I asked one of the lads at the back who confirmed it was a foul. I did notice a change in his reaction when a few St Agnes lads suggested he should have been sent off, he seemed to be really submissive once that had happened. I'll amend the match report in a moment.

Grant - that's a tough one. I personally enjoyed the first goal the most, the reaction of the lads said it all! It isn't often you get a half chance like that and the way you struck the ball was outstanding. Based on that goal you should have scored the third one anyway, expectations only get greater!

Mitch, I don't think anyone would have wanted Matty sent off, but would have been nice for the referee to confirm he actually knew what he was doing.

After the game, he was more interested in the fact that he got the added time right because he had to add 30 secs per substitution!!! so as long as he got that right.

He should have booked both Tom and Matty Davis at the very least.

I've had enough of talking about Grant's strikes now as well!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: