Cornwall Football Forum

Shaping up well?

Truro City FC End of Season Position  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Truro City be at the end of the season?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • Mid Table
    • Bottom Half
    • Relegated

So theres been approximately a dozen games so far this season and I just wanted to see and ask people on their opinions of the new lads we signed during the summer. Have they progressed the team as much as hoped for, or do you believe the potential was there with the lads that were already at the club? Which players have stood out for good or bad reasons?

Where do we need improving and can you see anyone come in during January? If so any potential signings names, backgrounds and why theyd make for a good Truro player would be good as well.

Finally the biggest signing of them all, hows the manager done so far in your opinion?

Well think we are all very impressed with the new players added to the squad in the close season Matt Hockley, Andy Taylor and Martin Rice being the most outstanding of the bunch so far though with Stonebridge now cleared to play he and Mc Connell have added new dimensions to the teams play.

As for the Manager Sean he has taken the players he inherited and the newbies to a new level the players speak very highly of him and find the training very hard but enjoyable, he and coach Dave Newton will be pleased with the start to the season there is still room for improvement but City will be in there at the end of the season. :yahoo: :smiley20:

Good idea with the poll mate, gives the thread a bit more structure. I watched Truro a fair bit last year and the one thing I noticed is the lack of height throughout the team, and certainly this was vital in the FA Cup defeat against Bath. Is this an area that still needs addressing. What did the manager learn from the defeat in the cup this year taking into account a lot of Truro fans expect to be challenging come the end of the season and must be casting glances higher up the pyramid?

• 2 weeks later...

:c: I'm normally on the Mining league section of the website but thought I would just wish Truro City all the best for the rest of the season. It certainly looks good for the boys at the moment especially with all thats going on off the pitch. If you ever fancy a pre season friendly Sennen AFC would love to accommodate lol. :yahoo:

Guest Ridgeback

I don't entirely agree with allforone1889 that we are all impressed with the new recruits - most of them, yes, notably Andy Taylor on the right - quality. However, there is one notable exception - Barry McConnell. As already posted on TigerTalk, he needs too much time to decide what to do with the ball, and when he has decided it's invariably a sideways pass.

For me, he adds nothing to the side - if anything he imbalances the defence as Jake Ash and Tom Smith then both have to play out of position to accommodate him. This is obviously Sean McCarthy's decision, and it looks as if McConnell is one of his 'golden boys', as is Hockley - but recently Hockley has consistently proved his worth. As captain? Not bad, but Tom Smith will always lead the team with more authority.

The jury is still out on McCarthy - I don't think he's 'taken the players to a new level' as allforone1889 suggests - in fact switching from his 4-4-2 in the awful opening league match back to "Dave Leonard's" 3-5-2 since has shown that "if it ain't broke - don't fix it." Maybe his contacts will prove to be his saving grace going forward - certainly the 2 youngsters from Tuesday evening at Tiverton shows he's got an eye for talent. As for his tactical astuteness compared to our previous incumbent.... well, I'm not so sure.

Last season's team - plus Taylor - would be enough to see Truro through this division. Providing McConnell doesn't prove to be too much of a liability, or McCarthy thinks he needs to stamp his mark by making changes for change's sake then Truro should be OK come April.

Dave Leonard's 3-5-2? :huh:

The current assistant manager had the side playing 3-5-2 long before Mr Leonard!! Anyway it was obvious to anyone thats knows football that it was glyn hooper who was the brains behind the tactics there - just ask the players after a game in the bar like i used to!!!!! I agree with you, however, on your opinions RE Taylor/MConnel. As for the manager-having spoken to several of the players he has taken anything that has come before to a completely new level=Every single one of them said it is far, far more 'professional' since his arrival.

coach carter :o :rolleyes:

Guest Ridgeback

TTom, the reference related to SMC's inherited squad and formation from Lensy's tenure - not the fact that Newts, Hoops, Steve Massey or others were nothing to do with it - sorry for the confusion!

More professional? Maybe a bit of politics there! Try to find out about a dressing down the team (and manager) had when fooling around at the training facilities of a more 'professional' outfit, maybe when you're having a drink with the players AWAY from the club bar... professional would be the LAST word that springs to mind.